Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,172,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Perez will always be on the defensive because of who he is. I'm not saying that everyone who views him as guilty because he's Hispanic, and I'm not saying that everyone who thinks he's guilty is a racist. I do believe, though, that public as already casted judgement on him because of his background. He's already said that he used to be in a gang. Notice how this comes up over and over again when people talk about him in blogs.

Past is past and this should be immaterial, unless he's chillin with the gang members he used to run with. Americans have this thing where certain people shouldn't be a part of certain things. We see it with Obama because of his former associations (why did that matter?), we saw it with Bush because he went to Yale and did nothing but work for his father and go into politics, and we saw it with Clinton because he burned his draft card (so?). We should stop painting people as bad people and just take them as they are.

I'm annoyed by this story because of my own experiences through friends. One of my best friends is Hispanic and as a kidd, he used to sell crack. I mean, he sold legit white at age 16 and 17. He went to the Marine Corps and came home at 21. A changed man, he came home and applied for a job at the police department. He made it through three different phases of application and on the fourth phase, he was asked if he every sold drugs. He told them honestly yes, and explained to him that he lived in the projects and had a baby at a very young age. They grilled him some more and allowed him to continue on to the fifth phase. He was never cut, he was jus never hired. He believes that it was because of his past.

I know doing certain things are bad but in a way for kids like us, no matter what we do our past will always get in the way of our future. Some people are born perfect and others will get into trouble along the way. But for those who will get in to trouble along the way, will they ever be able to hold the jobs of those born into better circumstances?

So in the case of Perez, I think we have to remember that this is a state full of rich, classy suburbs that will never understand the trials of poor city kids. Having said that and having heard what the folks in the suburbs are saying about him, I think that I'll wait for the court to decide his fate. It may just be a case of a man born a defendant.

Besides, like I said in the past, if the state had enough to arrest him on, they would have arrested him already. Some might be playing social politics.

He has been arrested twice this year for bribery, conspiracy, corruption and falsifying evidence, along with 2 other City officials . It has NOTHING to do with him being hispanic. I say that bluntly because of my background. These arrests will have ANYONE questioning his position. You also have to understand that the suburbs have nothing to do with his position, he's the mayor of Hartford. When he was voted as mayor everyone knew about his gang involvement as a youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 04:53 PM

722 posts, read 1,989,999 times
arrested not convicted

Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,939,702 times
Quote:
arrested not convicted
Where there's smoke, there is fire.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 70,645 times
Quote:
arrested not convicted

Of course he isn't convicted. You can only be convicted through a trial.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,081,048 times
Quote:
arrested not convicted
Twice.

I'm sure the police just figured they'd arrest another "PR" because he's got to be dirty...so what he's the mayor.

Yep, they had nothing to go on. Neither did the judge that signed the warrants. Those contractors never existed, the documents are fake. All a sham to hold down a brother because he's "one of them".

I guess we'll now see if he can "beat the system" with enough political favors and attorneys. Perhaps parking in DT will now cost $20 for a couple hours instead of $10-15.

I've got news for you - probably more than 98% of people arrested are dirty and then cop a plea or get off on a technicality or with money and lawyers. Somehow, I doubt that Perez is in the 2% category.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 AM

130 posts, read 363,666 times
"arrested not convicted"

Yet.

Shiela Dixon (Mayor of Baltimore---for now--- probably didn't think her indictment would lead to conviction, either.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM

722 posts, read 1,989,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Twice.

I'm sure the police just figured they'd arrest another "PR" because he's got to be dirty...so what he's the mayor.

Yep, they had nothing to go on. Neither did the judge that signed the warrants. Those contractors never existed, the documents are fake. All a sham to hold down a brother because he's "one of them".

I guess we'll now see if he can "beat the system" with enough political favors and attorneys. Perhaps parking in DT will now cost $20 for a couple hours instead of $10-15.

I've got news for you - probably more than 98% of people arrested are dirty and then cop a plea or get off on a technicality or with money and lawyers. Somehow, I doubt that Perez is in the 2% category.

I never said that he was arrested because he was Rican. I think that he was already put out to dry because of his background. Notice how I wasn't the one to bring up his background. I let someone else do it, and that's how it always is in Connecticut. People can't stick to the script; they can't just talk about the issue, they always have to bring up how someone shouldn't be where they are because of their background.

JViello, it is SOOOOO ironic that you bring up the plea bargaining issue because I am literally, LITERALLY writing a paper about it. You should look into that 98% figure.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I never said that he was arrested because he was Rican. I think that he was already put out to dry because of his background. Notice how I wasn't the one to bring up his background. I let someone else do it, and that's how it always is in Connecticut. People can't stick to the script; they can't just talk about the issue, they always have to bring up how someone shouldn't be where they are because of their background.

JViello, it is SOOOOO ironic that you bring up the plea bargaining issue because I am literally, LITERALLY writing a paper about it. You should look into that 98% figure.
Because God knows that when people who should be in office "because of their background" are put into public office, they never do anything wrong like commit tax fraud (cough, cough, Rowland) or touch little girls (cough, cough, Giordano). And even if they do, it's not like they ever get caught. Oh, wait a minute....

Okay, perhaps I'm a dreamer, but I'd like to think there is a world out there where it's alright to be angry with an elected official who's allegedly betrayed his constituents' trust. I don't care how tough it was for Perez, or anyone for that matter, growing up. If you have no character, then you have no character.

JACK: "Hey, did you hear that Perez might be corrupt?"
JILL: "Shhh...Don't say that. Growing up was hard for him."
JACK: (Holds head in shame)

Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,081,048 times
Quote:
Yes you did in a round about way - without knowing "for sure" I know you are "hispanic". Nuff said. Those of us who are "street smart" know how to "game". Just sayin...

Quote:
You really want to write an honest paper (Not that you don't already have your mind and bias made up), spend some time in an actual court house - talk to a prosecutor, or a criminal defense lawyer...don't waste your time on a judge, as they rarely see the facts of the case and just take the word of the prosecuting attny - his "boy".

I've been there - in the system (You read between the lines. ) I know what I know. 98+% are dirty. Period.

I know it's hard for you to get hit between the eye from an "inner city kid" who did not get government loans, "minority status", or some kind of "equalizer" who is happy and mostly successfuly - but it's something you might want to look at a bit further.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yes you did in a round about way - without knowing "for sure" I know you are "hispanic". Nuff said. Those of us who are "street smart" know how to "game". Just sayin...

You really want to write an honest paper (Not that you don't already have your mind and bias made up), spend some time in an actual court house - talk to a prosecutor, or a criminal defense lawyer...don't waste your time on a judge, as they rarely see the facts of the case and just take the word of the prosecuting attny - his "boy".

I've been there - in the system (You read between the lines. ) I know what I know. 98+% are dirty. Period.

I know it's hard for you to get hit between the eye from an "inner city kid" who did not get government loans, "minority status", or some kind of "equalizer" who is happy and mostly successfuly - but it's something you might want to look at a bit further.
Strong words, my colleague.

I guess the truth is that we'll all have to agree to disagree. As the great philosopher Mellencamp once said, "I fight authority but authority always wins." So we shall see how Mr. P does against the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut