Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2024, 05:47 AM

7,366 posts, read 4,040,926 times

Advertisements

I’ve seen many condos in CT that have bedrooms on the first floor. They call them ranch or garden units. (Not for me I’m always going to be able to go up stairs, even in my late 90s) Also many Capes and Colonials have first floor bedrooms and full baths.
Plenty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2024, 06:19 AM

506 posts, read 548,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We have a single family home with a first floor master, while the rest are on the second floor.
Our SFH has a first floor master. We enjoy the layout and if our son is away we don't have to heat/cool the second floor as much.

Old 06-24-2024, 09:14 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,481,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Here in Bethel there are new homes being built in a area of 1/2 acre zoning....22 of them in about 7 acres...(P&Z is in the builders pocket IMO), they are 12 feet apart, some with a first floor primary bedroom (can't say "Master" anymore . Priced 600-700k.
Yes, there has some chatter about that in my office. It's a very busy area and we haven't seen any formal pricing or floor plans yet. Hopefully will get details soon. The builder has in been in the Bethel for over 50 years. They did almost all of Chimney Heights and the family has sizable holdings at the Berkshire industrial park.

I forgot to mention Toll Brothers acquired 50 acres in Danbury over at Rivington earlier this year, up the hill from the 'Abby Woods' upscale apartments. They will be building 113 patio homes between 1950-2750 square feet (excluding any basement space), all with main level primary and main level two car garage access. It will be deeded for residents 55 years or higher. Plans show this section will have their own pool, and they will be access to all other amenties Rivington has to offer. They are currently doing site work. I believe pricing will start in the mid $800ks. I heard their sales office will be opening late summer or early fall this year, and it will take about 1 year to have them build a home once you are in contract with them.

At that price point, I don't think anybody local could afford to downsize to there.

Old 06-24-2024, 09:17 AM

4,562 posts, read 3,463,812 times
1) The recent posts in this thread are not about AFFORDABLE condos for the middle class retirees in CT. The posts seem to be made from people who live in the Gold Coast towns of FFC or are former residents of the FFC Gold Coast.

2) I don't even see recent properties or discussion about townhomes/condos in CT but other states. And quite a few of the properties are about the same price or MORE than my home in Trumbull FFC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to discuses Connecticut townhomes & condos for the MIDDLE CLASS RETIREE.

I have recently found a townhome in East Haven that would be perfect in many aspects for me. It actually has two bedrooms and full bath on the first floor and a separate space for my music and art. In the second floor bedroom I can put a little art studio and a really nice music space in the family room area.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't know a lot about East Haven though. I am going to have to go and check out the town and beaches. Is this area where this townhome is in East Haven a good one?

Is there anyone on here from East Haven or really knows East Haven and what are your thoughts. I didn't think about East Haven for retirement until I saw this townhome.

Old 06-24-2024, 09:44 AM

7,366 posts, read 4,040,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
1) The recent posts in this thread are not about AFFORDABLE condos for the middle class retirees in CT.
Define affordable? that's individual specific

Is anything in CT affordable for middle class retirees?

As I said there are plenty of ranch or garden unit condos in CT. Whether they are available on the market is a different story.
My advice - cash out on the Trumbull home now while the price is still at a record high, and rent (albiet at higher rent) temporarily, then purchase a garden unit when more come available and the market re-materializes, there is no market now.

Old 06-24-2024, 12:38 PM

35,354 posts, read 57,623,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It depends on where in Florida. My neighborhood is all larger two story homes and most have a first floor master. In newer build communities, it’s probably 50/50 two story and one story. Believe it or not, in new build communities, one story homes are actually more expensive. People these days don’t want two story, for some reason.

Does anyone have a link to a townhome with a first floor master? Would be curious to see it.
You mean like in this community?

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...-at-Woodbridge

Old 06-24-2024, 01:31 PM

35,354 posts, read 57,623,847 times
Please stay on topic which is Connecticut real estate. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-24-2024, 06:31 PM

41 posts, read 12,572 times
I wasn't sure where this article should go, so I took my best guess.

Refugees being housed in Connecticut Airbnb's "for free"

Article: https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...s-19525355.php

Old 06-24-2024, 07:25 PM

6,430 posts, read 7,734,731 times
How do Americans qualify for free housing? Real estate is expensive for retirees if you don't have a sponsor in your old age.

Old 06-25-2024, 08:20 AM

4,562 posts, read 3,463,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Define affordable? that's individual specific

Is anything in CT affordable for middle class retirees?

As I said there are plenty of ranch or garden unit condos in CT. Whether they are available on the market is a different story.
My advice - cash out on the Trumbull home now while the price is still at a record high, and rent (albiet at higher rent) temporarily, then purchase a garden unit when more come available and the market re-materializes, there is no market now.
"Is anything in CT affordable for middle class retirees?"

Excellent point.

I was watching a show on HGTV yesterday and it had two school teachers from CT who were retiring to SC. Two teachers are very middle class jobs. Thier top budget was $350,000. I want my top budget to be $350,000 too. I have a friend and her SO that retired and moved to SC. They are very middle class and they just bought a house for $360,000. They lived in New Haven County. I am thinking those two teachers from CT did not live in FFC.

Here is why I want to stick to the amount.

If I buy a townhouse in retirement and my husband passes away a week later I want to make sure I will have no problems staying in that townhouse for years to come.

I am so freaked out reading about many SINGLE retirees who can not keep up with the dramatic increase in taxes & insurance in FL and have no where to go. I am pretty sure it is only a matter of time for the condos on and near the coast in CT will see a dramatic rise too in insurance too.

I am planning in advance for a dramatic rise in HOA fees.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you see what Wilton2Park wrote in one of her posts (I can't remember which topic)

She buys a coastal property in Naples FL and within a few years SHE IS SELF INSURING because her insurance is too high. Middle class people can't do that.

OMG, I could not live a day like that especially in retirement. I would be fraught with worry. If my property did not have the proper insurance (including flood insurance) I would be so stressful I would probably die of a heart attack within a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut