Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 02:59 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times

Advertisements

If you don’t think that renewables can be as large an industry as big oil you are a goner. As for a 200 mile for Detroit Electric - a bit of a stretch given a 20 mile per hour speed. Range at 55 was 60-80 miles. Tesla marks a much bigger improvement than ICE motors over the same timeframe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 PM

76 posts, read 47,063 times
Part of Teslas huge appeal is no advertising, no dealerships. When you see those commercials and huge shiny ice dealer buildings, know that you are the one paying the overhead and salaries there. Go Tesla, better by design and philosophy

Old 06-04-2021, 08:39 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easymuny View Post
Part of Teslas huge appeal is no advertising, no dealerships. When you see those commercials and huge shiny ice dealer buildings, know that you are the one paying the overhead and salaries there. Go Tesla, better by design and philosophy
Indeed. And you don't become a billionaire like Herb Chambers by selling vehicles for "hundreds below invoice"

Old 06-05-2021, 01:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
There was no need to” bail out” the automakers with millions of taxpayer dollars. Just like there isn’t any solid reason to dump hundreds of millions to try and get a product to market that can’t stand on it’s own 4 wheels. That’s Obama and the Democrats.

MPG in a modern car is just part of the story. Care to compare emissions output from ICE engines 100 years ago? How about drivability ? Reliability?

Stae and local governments have been pulling in boatloads of money from petroleum taxes , so don’t even think that any investment in them by the government is an argument. Herein CT, they even added a tax on top of a tax. Greed. And you want to reward th incompetence of politicans by taxing the people even more. Super. Tax it high enough so they can consider an all electric, then you’ll get nothing.

There isn’t any mechanism in place to tax electric vehicles. Why allow a manufacturer to skirt existing law to sell a product that will result in each vehicle sold responsible for a loss of revenue ?

Regardles of the continued inefficiencies of an ICE engine, at the present time, under the present circumstances for the vast majority of Americans, it is superior to an all electric vehicle. Don’t we have a Free market System? Isn’t that the goal? They don’t sell well. They don’t sell well because there is a lack of desire to buy them. For many reasons.

So typical of Government policy , if tons of money is being spent on failure, just go ahead and pump more money into it, then make excuses. Outside of California , the sales of electric vehicles are what, single digit percentage? How about CT ?

“ no great difficulty” . If it was true, more people would purchase them. It isn’t true. And the answer? Dump more money for charging stations so people have to wait in the middle of a trip to get going again. Yep, that’ll do it.

Hey. Electrics are the future. But not here, not now. Instead of trying to force it down American’s throats, wasting billions, have some patience. Nope, can’t do that. There is an agenda you know.

Like I said , there aren’t any compelling reasons to change the Law. Emotional responses aplenty, which always is expected.

Thanks everyone for the debate. I am moving on. Spend as you wish, enjoy whatever vehicle works for you.

Right, it's possible the US automakers did not need bailouts or that it was not better for the US economy overall, but it's hard to tell. What we do know though is that tens billions of dollars were put into ICE automakers over a decade ago and far, far less was put into EV automakers in that period, so it's not really like there was some amazing unfair advantage there.

Right, mpg is just one part of the modern car story. That was my point about how your arguments lack internal coherency. You can ascribe to that logic for vehicles, but yet somehow single out and simplified things to that EVs have over a century only improved a few times in range--though even there you were lacking in just basic facts and understanding of physics and force diagrams since you neglected to mention that those range estimates for the century old car, aside from all the many differences between century old and modern vehicles, versus a modern electric vehicle are comparing very different conditions where the former is going at hypermiling speeds of ~20 miles per hour that yield several hundreds of miles of range for the modern EV you mentioned.

CT can draw on several examples of the levying of alternative taxing for EVs. This is not difficult at all, and besides, CT does draw sometimes from the general fund and not having any sales tax from Tesla not selling in CT certainly doesn't help that.

For the majority of Americans and their vehicle usage patterns, EVs probably work better for many reasons. The only thing is, the purchase price is higher in most automotive segments compared to their ICE counterpart and there are many automotive segments that don't currently have a competitive EV. That's certainly been changing more and more, and will continue to do so as there are a large slate of new EV models releasing this year and the coming two already announced. Of course, this would be more available for CTers to see for themselves if there wasn't this restriction on direct sales from automakers. The same with more CTers purchasing them. That's a great argument for why we should end this restriction on direct sales and force consumers to deal with dealerships. Let's hope the Hoffman Auto Group loses this cases and this becomes precedent for multiple automakers to implement direct sales in CT.

We aren't trading DMs, so it doesn't matter if you say you're done

Old 06-09-2021, 01:48 PM

163 posts, read 129,905 times
Dealerships successfully fought Tesla stores in New Jersey so there are a few Tesla boutiques in which you can try but not purchase the vehicles. The boutiques are located in wealthy areas and are busy. In CT I pass by a Tesla store pretty often in Greenwich and I'm not sure if it's a showroom only or if they are able to sell as well.

In the end the consumer's preference will probably win no matter what the dealerships try. They will have to change. There are some dealerships that have become no-haggle. I personally like to buy cars through Costco's program where the price has been set and you show up at the dealership to take delivery. You still have to sit with a finance manager who will try to sell you high-margin services like wheel and tire warranties, which is still unpleasant.

The dealerships may score a temporary victory against Tesla's model but it will be just that - temporary. The new big internet-based car companies are making big inroads and it's clear what customers prefer. I've found that women in particular are terrified of the traditional car-buying process. And even those of us who are more comfortable would rather just cut to the check-writing and be done with it.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:12 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
Dealerships successfully fought Tesla stores in New Jersey so there are a few Tesla boutiques in which you can try but not purchase the vehicles. The boutiques are located in wealthy areas and are busy. In CT I pass by a Tesla store pretty often in Greenwich and I'm not sure if it's a showroom only or if they are able to sell as well.
The Greenwich location is considered a “gallery”. The Milford location is a “gallery” and service center.

I believe they were somewhat recently allowed to lease from these locations but selling is prohibited. You used to not even be able to test drive, not sure if that’s still the case.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:19 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I smell a major lawsuit. I can’t see why a local planning and zoning should be involved in this. The East Hartford P & Z are opening themselves up to litigation. I don’t think it’s their job to judge a businesses compliance with state law. Tesla has been able to open similar facilities in Milford and Greenwich so it can’t be illegal. It seems like the Hoffman family is using their clout in town to stop Tesla. Jay

Old 03-10-2022, 01:26 PM

512 posts, read 351,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It seems like the Hoffman family is using their clout in town to stop Tesla. Jay
This. The Hoffman group is very well connected and I am sure they would love to retain their auto monopoly in the greater Hartford area without Tesla giving them competition. The Hoffman group obviously (and not surprisingly) has sway with East Hartford politicians.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:34 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I smell a major lawsuit. I can’t see why a local planning and zoning should be involved in this. The East Hartford P & Z are opening themselves up to litigation. I don’t think it’s their job to judge a businesses compliance with state law. Tesla has been able to open similar facilities in Milford and Greenwich so it can’t be illegal. It seems like the Hoffman family is using their clout in town to stop Tesla. Jay
Here's the link to the article https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...service-center

I had no idea this happened. Too bad, East Hartford could use some high end business in town.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:06 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Here's the link to the article https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...service-center

I had no idea this happened. Too bad, East Hartford could use some high end business in town.
I think Milford is still the only service center in the state. Good thing they have a pretty robust mobile service offering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut