Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemJem View Post
Thanks for feedback everyone. I also realized I forgot to paste the link to the house

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M41568-81875
I see it is just off Route 44, between Winsted and New Hartford. It is really not that isolated, but the acreage gives it some privacy. It is only 2.3 miles from the Stop & Shop at the Winsted line.

I will second the cautions about it being hard to make friends in that kind of location when you work from home. Good luck with the decision.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-07-2020 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 06:15 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Beautiful house and property. As Danny K mentioned, the listing got pulled -- not sure if that's legit or not. Perhaps it's pulled because of your potential purchase?

Best of luck!

Old 04-07-2020, 07:35 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Thanks for feedback everyone. I also realized I forgot to paste the link to the house

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M41568-81875
Says it went Pending on Feb 7.
JemJem, for the love of God please tell me you're not the buyer.
That is, to be frank, THE quintessential money pit. Cheap upfront, but a monthly cash hemorrhaging machine going forward. Hope you and the loved one did your due dilligence before the John Hancocks were put down. God almighty.

Best of luck.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:46 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
That is, to be frank, THE quintessential money pit. Cheap upfront, but a monthly cash hemorrhaging machine going forward. Hope you and the loved one did your due dilligence before the John Hancocks were put down. God almighty.

Best of luck.
Steve, I cannot quite understand your point here, but I'm curious. Can I ask why you want JemJem to tell you that he was not the buyer? What's wrong with it? Sorry I just don't get what you mean exactly.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:53 PM

13 posts, read 7,104 times
Quote:

Best of luck.
No, didn't buy it. I still have time and in no immediate rush. I saw it a couple of months ago when it caught my attention. Yes i notice it wasn't active but wasn't concerned about that as I am not looking to purchase right right now. Plus I've noticed many property come on and off the market then on again. Do you mind sharing why you think its a money pit?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:58 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
Quote:

Best of luck.
I agree — that is not a house for a first time buyer. A great find for someone who can diy though, I really like it.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
No, didn't buy it. I still have time and in no immediate rush. I saw it a couple of months ago when it caught my attention. Yes i notice it wasn't active but wasn't concerned about that as I am not looking to purchase right right now. Plus I've noticed many property come on and off the market then on again. Do you mind sharing why you think its a money pit?
According to what I saw online, this house was sold. The price was $367,900.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_34300085/

It obviously needs some work. From the photos I see work needed in the kitchen. That’s expensive. Given the age I would suspect the baths need work too. Also expensive. And then again because of its age you have to carefully check the roof, furnace, hot water heater, air conditioning, well pump, septic system and electrical to be sure they do not need work or replacement. All are very expensive to do. I’m not sure if you need such a big house but you can certainly find nice but smaller homes in better condition and closer to civilization. Check towns like Burlington, Canton, Farmington, Simsbury and Granby for places. Jay

Old 04-07-2020, 11:38 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
According to what I saw online, this house was sold. The price was $367,900.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_34300085/

It obviously needs some work. From the photos I see work needed in the kitchen. That’s expensive. Given the age I would suspect the baths need work too. Also expensive. And then again because of its age you have to carefully check the roof, furnace, hot water heater, air conditioning, well pump, septic system and electrical to be sure they do not need work or replacement. All are very expensive to do. I’m not sure if you need such a big house but you can certainly find nice but smaller homes in better condition and closer to civilization. Check towns like Burlington, Canton, Farmington, Simsbury and Granby for places. Jay
Jay, those are actually some good points there. If you looked at an earlier post I did on this thread, I was saying that the house for the size it is is surprisingly cheap, and while Barkhamsted is not a ritzy town and nowhere near as upscale as any of those NYC metropolitan area towns, it is still Connecticut and you wouldn't expect a town like Barkhamsted to be cheap by any means. I mean its rural but it is a really nice town and great areas. Certainly not cheaper than a rural suburban town of Orlando, FL that I mentioned earlier that I had a few friends who bought a smaller house for more than the cost of the listed house that the OP was telling us.

But yeah, that is very likely due to a lot of work that the house needs. I've never really needed to renovate houses like that, so I am not sure on how expensive that is, but it does all add up, and if you say all that is expensive, I believe you. That house very well might need total renovations. Never thought about that.

OP, anyway I was looking at houses for sale in Barkhamsted and there are many. Check around if you still want Barkhamsted.

Also I second Jay with the towns he was talking about if you are into others. From what you said before, I am not sure if the exact area even matters much and if it doesn't, I also recommend taking a look at towns near the Connecticut River like: Essex, Chester, Haddam, and try the northern parts of Guilford and Madison as well. The nature there is AMAZING!!! Parts of those towns are a little more expensive than Barkhamsted, but depending on what you are looking for, you probably should find decent sized houses within your budget (I am guessing your budget is around $350k). You shouldn't have trouble finding decent sized houses for that amount in the towns I listed.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:23 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
What Jay and HV said.

Years of neglect. The siding is dry rotted and has mildew. The driveway in front of garage needs to be replaced. Too many cracks beyond patch repair.
The constant phone calls from 1972 asking for its kitchen back.
There are no words to describe that marble tile floor and base trim.
Its not energy efficient. High heating and cooling bills. Not one, but two oil tanks.
Yard upkeep, landscaping, snow plowing and maintenance of nearly 4 acres is a daunting task.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:48 AM

487 posts, read 537,185 times
Quote:
What Jay and HV said.

Years of neglect. The siding is dry rotted and has mildew. The driveway in front of garage needs to be replaced. Too many cracks beyond patch repair.
The constant phone calls from 1972 asking for its kitchen back.
There are no words to describe that marble tile floor and base trim.
Its not energy efficient. High heating and cooling bills. Not one, but two oil tanks.
Yard upkeep, landscaping, snow plowing and maintenance of nearly 4 acres is a daunting task.

Where are you seeing rot or neglect? Why do you consider two oil tanks a negative? I would expect two tanks with that square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut