Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 07:41 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
A condo in my complex that is 200+ sq feet less than mine and has one garage space as compared to two, was listed for 38k more than I paid for mine less than two years ago, and sold in 4 days. Not sure of the final sale price; am curious as to what that will be.

A 3k+ sq ft house I have been watching in Trumbull, which is seemingly priced a little on the higher side - but not by much - has been on the market for over three months.

Only two examples obviously, but it just goes to show - you never can tell.

I live in Trumbull so I have been looking to see what is going on about every one or two weeks. I am noticing that the houses that need work are taking longer to sell and the prices are being cut after about a month.

I have been talking to some people in Trumbull and they are saying the taxes are getting to high and they are thinking of moving out of Fairfield County. One of the places they mention is Beacon Falls. I have never been to Beacon Falls but I assume it is a nice town (on par with Trumbull) but much cheaper than Trumbull.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:26 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I live in Trumbull so I have been looking to see what is going on about every one or two weeks. I am noticing that the houses that need work are taking longer to sell and the prices are being cut after about a month.

I have been talking to some people in Trumbull and they are saying the taxes are getting to high and they are thinking of moving out of Fairfield County. One of the places they mention is Beacon Falls. I have never been to Beacon Falls but I assume it is a nice town (on par with Trumbull) but much cheaper than Trumbull.
Outside of Fairfield to Greenwich/New Cannan/Ridgefield bubble these are some nice towns

Madison
Orange
Woodbridge
Farmington
Milford
Middlebury
Branford
Avon
Danbury area towns like New Fairfield and Brookfield

Guilford
Monroe
Old Saybrook
Shelton
Oxford
Cheshire
West Hartford
Burlington
Cormwell
Simsbury
Seymour
Southbury
Wallingford
Clinton

Old 08-17-2022, 09:41 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Outside of Fairfield to Greenwich/New Cannan/Ridgefield bubble these are some nice towns

Madison
Orange
Woodbridge
Farmington
Milford
Middlebury
Branford
Avon

Guilford
Monroe
Old Saybrook
Shelton
Oxford
Cheshire
West Hartford
Burlington
Cormwell
Simsbury
Seymour
Southbury
Wallingford
Clinton
You missed Glastonbury. It’s one of the most desirable suburbs in greater Hartford. Jay

Old 08-17-2022, 10:16 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:

Trumbull does have high taxes, but not all of the county does. Since we don't have county level gov't it varies widely.

Beacon Falls is much cheaper than Trumbull. It is not as upscale. The schools don't perform quite as well. Sort of a rural-ish working class feel, but there are some nice houses and neighborhoods and it can be scenic.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:05 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

Beacon Falls? It is nothing like Trumbull. It is a former mill town in the Naugatuck River Valley that has seen better times. Schools in Beacon Falls can’t compare to Trumbull which has some of the best performing schools in the state. Taxes better be lower. Also note that Beacon Falls does not have anywhere the number of shopping and restaurant options that Trumbull has. It doesn’t even have a supermarket. That means you have to travel to an adjacent town to do basic food shopping.

I suspect the reason the people you talked to are considering Beacon Falls is there is a very nice 55+ community there, Chatfield Farms. The homes there are very nice and well designed. I’m sure people are impressed but beyond that the Town of Beacon Falls is a bit lacking IMHO.

https://eghome.net/communities/new-h...atfield-farms/

That said, if taxes are a big concern to you yet you want to stay close to Trumbull, I’d recommend considering neighboring Shelton. A number of people I know have settled there in retirement and are very happy. They get lower taxes but are still near major shopping and amenities along the coast. While it lacks a large scale 55+ communities, it does have several smaller ones and there are a number of very nice condominiums there as well. Personally, I’d pick Shelton over Beacon Falls any day. JMHO, Jay

Old 08-18-2022, 09:39 AM

1,366 posts, read 994,885 times
Quote:

I have never lived in Trumbull, but have been several times. From what I have seen, it is a picturesque town, with parts you might see on the cover of a mag. It is in fact nicer than B.Falls, but only by a little; B.Falls has it's picturesque parts as well.

It's also a lot smaller than Trumbull; BFalls has about 2600 households, whereas Trumbull has north of 12k, and is slightly less than 10 sq. miles, compared to Trumbull's 25.5. From what I have seen, Trumbull is far more densely populated. Which is neither good not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Also note that Beacon Falls does not have anywhere the number of shopping and restaurant options that Trumbull has. It doesn’t even have a supermarket. That means you have to travel to an adjacent town to do basic food shopping.

While it is true that there is hardly any shopping and no supermarket, it is such a small town that getting to a neighboring town to shop is not a big deal. From where I am, I can walk to the Walmart in Naug, which is right across the border, and drive to either the S&S or BigY; both are under 7 min travel time each way. Of course it depends on where you are, but with only 10 sq miles of real estate, treveling elsewhere won't take all that long.

Can't speak to the schools, as I have no idea.

Cheers.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:53 AM

252 posts, read 139,193 times
Quote:

Madison
Orange
Woodbridge
Farmington
Milford
Middlebury
Branford
Avon

Guilford
Monroe
Old Saybrook
Shelton
Oxford
Cheshire
West Hartford
Burlington
Cormwell
Simsbury
Seymour
Southbury
Wallingford
Clinton
What the hell is Cormwell? You mean Cornwall?

My dad just finally moved out of Seymour and I'm not sure I would call it a "nice town". Maybe in the past, but now it is quite rundown and seedy. My dad used to like it there but told me it has been going downhill fast lately. His neighbors who recently bought the house next to him (the one he just sold) chopped down EVERY tree and bush on their property, ruining the privacy they provided on his property line and creating a clear line of sight all down the block. That's the kind of people moving into Seymour.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:25 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
What the hell is Cormwell? You mean Cornwall?

My dad just finally moved out of Seymour and I'm not sure I would call it a "nice town". Maybe in the past, but now it is quite rundown and seedy. My dad used to like it there but told me it has been going downhill fast lately. His neighbors who recently bought the house next to him (the one he just sold) chopped down EVERY tree and bush on their property, ruining the privacy they provided on his property line and creating a clear line of sight all down the block. That's the kind of people moving into Seymour.
I think he/she might be referring to Cromwell? It's in Greater Hartford area. Although there is a Cornwall in Litchfield County as well.

I am sorry to hear about Seymour. It seemed like a nice town in the past, however, I was always a short-term visitor so I can't claim to know the details.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:15 PM

84 posts, read 33,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Beacon Falls? It is nothing like Trumbull. It is a former mill town in the Naugatuck River Valley that has seen better times. Schools in Beacon Falls can’t compare to Trumbull which has some of the best performing schools in the state. Taxes better be lower. Also note that Beacon Falls does not have anywhere the number of shopping and restaurant options that Trumbull has. It doesn’t even have a supermarket. That means you have to travel to an adjacent town to do basic food shopping.

I suspect the reason the people you talked to are considering Beacon Falls is there is a very nice 55+ community there, Chatfield Farms. The homes there are very nice and well designed. I’m sure people are impressed but beyond that the Town of Beacon Falls is a bit lacking IMHO.

https://eghome.net/communities/new-h...atfield-farms/

That said, if taxes are a big concern to you yet you want to stay close to Trumbull, I’d recommend considering neighboring Shelton. A number of people I know have settled there in retirement and are very happy. They get lower taxes but are still near major shopping and amenities along the coast. While it lacks a large scale 55+ communities, it does have several smaller ones and there are a number of very nice condominiums there as well. Personally, I’d pick Shelton over Beacon Falls any day. JMHO, Jay
Meh, to each their own. For me I'd pass over Trumbull and Shelton for towns in either N/S direction. Milford/Branford if you need the trains or want to be close to the coast. or further north for Oxford/Cheshire/Prospect if you want more land and a rural setting is your thing.

If I had to choose between buying more house in a + Beacon Falls neighborhood or a midland house in a middle-of-the-road Trumble neighborhood. I would prefer Beacon Falls. (For perspective, I formerly rented in Orange, owned in Oxford, and currently own in Southbury). Beacon Falls is a quaint and modest community, I like it. Of course, if you want an even better option, Southbury is the best of both worlds, convenience and charm .

Old 08-18-2022, 06:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:

Madison
Orange
Woodbridge
Farmington
Milford
Middlebury
Branford
Avon

Guilford
Monroe
Old Saybrook
Shelton
Oxford
Cheshire
West Hartford
Burlington
Cormwell
Simsbury
Seymour
Southbury
Wallingford
Clinton
Don't worry about typos. You do a fantastic job here on the forum. Keep it up and post more, the Forum needs you.

Artist has her sights set on a Branford beach for retirement. Frozen or not. That's a done deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut