Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 04:50 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for the cheapest town possible that's in the commute you want and you don't care about schools, Ansonia seems like a good option.

Cheaper towns tend to have higher mill rates. You need to look at the full financial picture, and look at actual taxes on Zillow for properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 05:18 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Except that his commute from Seymour would be shorter than a Thomaston, Oxford and Beacon Falls. Jay
"Run" the OP said in post #6....."About an extra 20 minute commute, If we did Seymour have to be $170K or less home".

I don't know where all the towns are in relation to one another, I just took the OP's word for it. Being from Fairfield County on the I-95/Parkway corridor not only do I not know where these towns are, I have never heard of many of the CT towns* mentioned on city-data outside of Fairfield and New Haven Counties.

*For instance I have never heard of Thomaston CT.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:19 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Seymour isn't a USDA Zoned area so have to look into FHA loans.

Will admit I do really like Plymouth. Taxes are middle of the road. You get more square footage for lower cost. Only 5 extra miles.
So you are looking to finance under a USDA program? That makes a difference. I assume the towns you listed are the ones that are eligible. Jay

Old 03-30-2019, 06:21 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Seymour isn't a USDA Zoned area so have to look into FHA loans.

Will admit I do really like Plymouth. Taxes are middle of the road. You get more square footage for lower cost. Only 5 extra miles.
Got it. I would really encourage you to be as close as work to possible. Those extra miles will make a huge difference each day.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:58 PM

7 posts, read 4,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
"Run" the OP said in post #6....."About an extra 20 minute commute, If we did Seymour have to be $170K or less home".

I don't know where all the towns are in relation to one another, I just took the OP's word for it. Being from Fairfield County on the I-95/Parkway corridor not only do I not know where these towns are, I have never heard of many of the CT towns* mentioned on city-data outside of Fairfield and New Haven Counties.

If you can make a weekend of it, take a drive up to Litchfield County and see towns like Thomaston or Litchfield just for what they offer.

Being from the next town over from Thomaston, Terryville, I have to say that I would never do a Thomaston to New Haven commute daily. Once in a while, fine, but it is back road after back road. Going Thomaston to Bridgeport is much easier. I could do Thomaston to Bridgeport daily. Route 8 is a great commute.

Somewhere in the valley (Shelton, Ansonia) seems good for your needs. Seymour would be my top choice as well (though it seems like it is out), but Oxford too, if you can swing it.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Oxford and Seymour are literally 2 towns away from Trumbull.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:31 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
With USDA, the southern valley is off the table. OP is limited to towns listed above plus Bethany, and the towns north/west of Waterbury that aren't directly adjacent to Waterbury.

Using a USDA loan appears to be challenging for someone who needs regular access to New Haven, because anything close to 15/95/91 is off the table except for Bethany and Bethany is too expensive.

Any chance of finding work that doesn't require regularly being there?

Old 03-31-2019, 08:34 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
^^^^ That was the thought process
Thinking try to work 4 days a week and hope to find new job next Summer in Hartford, Torrington, New Britain, or Waterbury.

Wife and I are torn between Thomaston and Plymouth/Terryville. Going to make drive up today to few spots.

Like Plymouth for it's closer access to Bristol. However, wondering how that hill into Thomaston to Rt 8 would be in the Winter.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:49 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Is a USDA loan better than FHA?

This might sound controversial, but I would just rent if you can't afford a 20% down payment on a <$160,000 home. Keep saving. Schools don't seem great in the towns you're looking at, so you may have to move again? Owning for less than 5 years is a big financial risk. And those towns are NOT likely to appreciate. They are textbook decline towns: in a stagnant metro, rural, no walkability or public transportation, unappealing to Millennials. A town like Seymour is a much better investment. Or, if you can deal with a condo or save up for a modest home, a town like Milford. You have to consider resale, not just cheapness.

You also need to consider the job market in Waterbury area sucks and is in a race to the bottom. It ain't gonna change. Live where the action is: the coastline from Greenwich to New Haven has by far the most economical potential in CT.

Seems crazy to me to live above Waterbury for New Haven/Bridgeport commuting just to get a specific loan.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Is a USDA loan better than FHA?

This might sound controversial, but I would just rent if you can't afford a 20% down payment on a <$160,000 home. Keep saving. Schools don't seem great in the towns you're looking at, so you may have to move again? Owning for less than 5 years is a big financial risk. And those towns are NOT likely to appreciate. They are textbook decline towns: in a stagnant metro, rural, no walkability or public transportation, unappealing to Millennials. A town like Seymour is a much better investment. Or, if you can deal with a condo or save up for a modest home, a town like Milford. You have to consider resale, not just cheapness.

You also need to consider the job market in Waterbury area sucks and is in a race to the bottom. It ain't gonna change. Live where the action is: the coastline from Greenwich to New Haven has by far the most economical potential in CT.

Seems crazy to me to live above Waterbury for New Haven/Bridgeport commuting just to get a specific loan.
I agree with you but schools in Oxford are very good. Far better than Thomaston, etc. Oxford has been the fastest growing town in the state for over a decade and is regularly ranked as having the best economic outlook in the state. I’d say a home there is a pretty solid investment going by those measures. Problem is - you’re not going to find a decent home in the OP’s range there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut