Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 10:38 AM

833 posts, read 505,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's what you call "Pop Ups". Pouring in Naugatuck and Easton. One just popped up in New Canaan.

Maybe I'll hit 10 inches for the month? lol

Just missed here, can see the clouds to the east

Old 07-27-2019, 11:05 AM

6,618 posts, read 5,025,243 times
Quote:
Pop Up here and there. LOVING the stretch of dry weather and its not that humid. Good summer so far. Only 1 heat wave here and hasn't been as humid as summer usually is..

https://twitter.com/gilsimmons/statu...83577366851584
I'm glad you said that as I was feeling the same this week! Of course it took summer soooooo long to get here.....

Quote:
A look at Bridgeport's Minimum Dewpoints each day.

I know it's a lot of numbers but hopefully my color coded boxes make it easier to see the humid and dry mornings.

Just wanna note, 2013 had the longest stretch of 70+ "MAX" dews on record from June 24 to July 24. That was BRUTAL! Look at the lows too. There were some crazy humid mornings that summer.

As far as 2019.... Hmmm, maybe not as dry as I thought vs previous yrs. Low - mid 60s past 5 days but look at 2017 for same time period... 50s! Past few summers really hasn't been crazy humid. Right?

So I thought 2012 was the brutally hot summer even for me, but maybe it was 2013?

Last summer was brutally humid in Hartford county. My AC ran non stop.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:45 AM

83,626 posts, read 75,673,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I think you've gotten, ahem, "acclimated" Cam. I don't consider dewpoints in the upper 60s like today comfortable or "not that humid". .

Considering how bad it could be past 5 days have been ok. I been "complaining" today after that post though. Feels more humid today for sure. Probably the clouds doing it. when it's sunny it helps dry the air out little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
So I thought 2012 was the brutally hot summer even for me, but maybe it was 2013?.
2012 was hot because of temps. 2013 was humid. Then 2014 I remember August being awesome and summers since then haven't been crazy. Guess depends where you are.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:47 AM

Radar update. These pop ups are quick and then they dissipate then new ones pop up. Raining in Newington and Southern Hartford.

Close up. Sun is coming back out in Bristol after a quick drizzle which is making things more humid

Old 07-27-2019, 12:16 PM

6,618 posts, read 5,025,243 times
Wash clothes, put on line. New load started. Walk upstairs from basement, hear rain. Curse. Pull clothes under tree. Bring computer in, contemplate reading under tree. Hear more noise, look outside, pouring. Curse. Close windows on west side. Nice breeze. Open extra windows not on west side. Clean up water on floor. Take clothes off line. Back inside. Now it's pouring into the east windows. Curse. Close those windows too, clean up that mess.

End result: basket of clothes on the deck. Washer full of clothes. Me on couch. Oh hey, it just got brighter! Fingers crossed.

Mother Nature 2, me -5

Old 07-27-2019, 04:27 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,569,852 times
My brother mentioned the Newington cell. I was on the west side of Manhattan by The High Line and that new attraction with all the levels and steps. Just partly cloudy and seasonal there. See a towering cloud or two here in New Haven. Mostly sunny overall.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:43 AM

This is what you call a Summer Pop Up...

One part of Newington got 1.15" of rain yesterday another part of Newington got 0.09". Yup. That's what happens with a localized summer pop up! HUGE

Closeup

Old 07-30-2019, 10:14 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,797,736 times
It feels like 100 out there today. I have never felt heat like this except for the time I ended up camping in the Florida Everglades (don't ask, lol). And it never rains here in central CT. I go out about 9pm and put some water on my flower garden but I don't know how much longer it can keep going without a drop of rain.

We have broken an all time record for the month of July. Always seems to be around 90.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:12 AM

996 posts, read 608,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It feels like 100 out there today. I have never felt heat like this except for the time I ended up camping in the Florida Everglades (don't ask, lol). And it never rains here in central CT. I go out about 9pm and put some water on my flower garden but I don't know how much longer it can keep going without a drop of rain.

We have broken an all time record for the month of July. Always seems to be around 90.
Yeah, I was about to ask if we've broken the warmest July/ warmest month record yet...

The saddest part is that EVERY SINGLE MONTH for the next year and a half will be above average according to the CPC...

I miss 2014, 2015, and 2017's weather...

Old 07-30-2019, 04:23 PM

Unexpected heat today. I will bold why. Up to you to read the rest of discussion. lol Too miserable for me to explain.

Quote:
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
228 PM EDT Tue Jul 30 2019

Minor adjustments made to temperatures and dew points as they
are both rising a few degrees higher than previously forecast.
Otherwise, no significant changes to the forecast.

A heat advisory is in effect through 9 pm, for all areas with
the exception of southeast Suffolk County.

Upper ridge axis gradually moves offshore today as a shortwave
trough amplifies remains nearly stationary from the Great Lakes
down towards the southeast states.
A slow moving cold front is
associated with this upper trough. The location of the upper
trough and cold front are too far west to focus widespread
convection across the region today. However, a sea breeze
boundary may interact with a weak surface trough triggering a
few showers and thunderstorms this afternoon. The 00z convection
allowing models all indicate convective development across the
interior of the Lower Hudson Valley, southwest Connecticut, and
northeast New Jersey after 18z. Dry air aloft and the best
forcing remaining to the west should limit coverage. Pulse
storms are the main mode of convection today with weak shear,
but moderate instability may support an isolated strong wind
gust. Convection should weaken or diminish quickly as it moves
off the convergence of the sea breeze/surface trough.

Otherwise, it will be hot and humid today with high temperatures in
the upper 80s and lower 90s. The heat index will peak around 95
degrees for much of the region. Slightly lower temperatures due
to onshore flow across southeast Suffolk should hold heat index
values closer to 90.

There is a moderate risk of rip current development at Atlantic
Ocean beaches today.

See the ridge? See the front and the trough coming? RELIEF!!!!!!!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut