Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 04:35 PM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times

Advertisements

"When a tree is struck by lightning the liquids inside the trunk turn to gas instantly, leading to an explosion of bark. About half of the trees struck by lightning will die instantly, the other half will live for a number of years, although often weakened and made susceptible for future disease."

I don't think it was a direct hit. I mean the top half doesn't look hit. Maybe it was a side shoot of the main leader elsewhere and this one just skimmed my tree? I don't like that crack open though. Maybe I'll seal it.

The voltage around me was insane.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
So sorry Cam, but glad it wasn't your house

(I have 2 trees and snowtober did a number on them)

Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well this is interesting...

Number of days hitting 90° or warmer in Summer months (June-July-August) in NYC has been trending down since the 1980s.

But in Bridgeport........ Up. Currently with 5 this summer. Lets hope stops at that

Interesting.....I have noticed this too. I have noted that I don't think high temperatures have really gone up much (in fact I don't consider the rise to be statistically significant) but that it's the low temperatures that are really going up a lot!

I was at my sister's in the Buffalo area for a few days and returned tonight, I just missed all the fun (last night she had light rain and somewhere a little to the south of her the fun began with this front and started to move here.....we could see the lightning off to the south last night)

Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,930 times
Quote:
"When a tree is struck by lightning the liquids inside the trunk turn to gas instantly, leading to an explosion of bark. About half of the trees struck by lightning will die instantly, the other half will live for a number of years, although often weakened and made susceptible for future disease."

I don't think it was a direct hit. I mean the top half doesn't look hit. Maybe it was a side shoot of the main leader elsewhere and this one just skimmed my tree? I don't like that crack open though. Maybe I'll seal it.

The voltage around me was insane.

Are you sure the lightning didn't travel from underground and up the tree via the roots?

Also, I was driving home from Hartford through it all. The funny thing is this morning they said "meh, possibly scattered activity". Then the red line came across the whole state and it poured in Wallingford for the whole evening.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Are you sure the lightning didn't travel from underground and up the tree via the roots?.
Interesting. Never heard of that happening or possible.

My neighbor said he saw the huge flash and knew my tree got hit but I still wonder if the main lightning bolt hit elsewhere and my tree just got a side branch of the bolt.. I'll never forget the sound and the static around me.

Craziest thing was.. I was outside 1 minute before about 50 feet away checking to see if my gutters were overflowing. I could of gotten killed or injured by being on the wet ground.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:16 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,145 times
Me and a friend road through pockets of this heavy rain, off and on. We went up to Troy, NY for the Brooklyn vs Tri-City baseball game at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium. The sun actually poked out a time or two before sunset. Of course we went north and west to greater Albany, knowing the line would almost certainly end there first. Here's the weird part...our routing from the WestFarms Mall area:

I-84 West>>CT 4 West>>CT/MA 8 North>>US Route 20 West>>I-90 West into greater Albany

Very scenic change of pace...despite the rain. Hadn't been in a couple of those towns since like 1989? First time in Litchfield County and the city of Torrington in nearly 25 years. I was in Winchester, the village of Winsted and then Colebrook for the first time.

Tough to tell with all the rain...but this was CT/MA Route 8, crossing from Colebrook, CT to Sandisfield, MA.

Soon after getting into the stadium. Picture was 6:08 PM.

Looking above the beginning of the third base line. Picture was at 8:01 PM.

The "fun" part was the patchy fog coming back on I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike. First noticed it going from the "free" part of I-90 southeast of Albany to the Berkshire Spur toll section. A bit of fog after the MA border, cleared up a lot at the Turnpike high point of 1,724 feet ASL near mile marker 20...then quite thick later before the runaway truck ramp (eastbound) and the Westfield River area.

The rapid cloud movement in Springfield along I-91 South was a bit freaky. It definitely still rained later from this area southward back into Connecticut!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:25 PM

5,953 posts, read 2,872,889 times
John is about 8 miles south of me and 800 ft . lower in elevation. This year has been a little warmer than last. last year he didn't hit a yearly ave . of 36 f. until August first
.- Home

Old 07-21-2018, 04:42 AM

You guys ready?

Fall like pattern (not so much with temps) with a non tropical system coming up the coast (almost looked like a NorEaster) and an Upper Low digging SOUTH

Rain starts after 10pm tonight... You might get woken up by Thunderstorms tonight. (NOT AGAIN!!!)

Light rain continues into Sunday and chances into next week.

See the spin?

Enjoy todays sun....

Gotta love the weather models and the ability to forecast the future.

From July 15th.

Quote:
I think we may be entering a wet period as a parked High Pressure over the Atlantic will bring a southeast flow up the coast and stall fronts coming in. Like what we had in Spring.

This will not only keep temps down but also bring a chance of a coastal storm forming. Lets keep an eye on this pattern

Old 07-21-2018, 03:11 PM

Feel it yet?

Winds picking up here and you can feel there's a coastal storm nearby.

Philly 68° in July at 5pm. What is that like. Fall Like Storm in Progress.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:15 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
Ugh heard rain for 7 days straight next week. Screw that I am running tomorrow lighting or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut