Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,625 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to CT for my husband's job. He'll be working in Groton, and I'll hopefully be working in Mystic. We have two young kids and another on the way. We're southerners from South Carolina and Texas and have basically no experience with winter. We're looking to buy a 1500-2000 sf house in the 170s. Zillow seems to think Norwich is our best bet , but reading here makes it seem very unsafe and the schools are pretty bad (which then why are your property taxes so high???). We'd prefer slightly rural living, but not too in the boonies. I'd prefer not to have to drive over a huge bridge to get to work, so New London is at the bottom of my list. We like hiking, board gaming, and kayaking. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:54 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Well if it weren't for the bridge I would suggest East Lyme (Niantic) or Waterford. Staying East of the Thames Ledyard (and Gales Ferry) are more rural but not a far drive to anything at all so I would put those on my list. You can also look at North Stonington and Pawcatuck. I forget how the school district works for Mystic, as I recall it's split a bit between Stonington and Groton. Norwich has some fine areas and some not so great, but the schools under perform.

As I'm sure you have noticed sub 200k is tricky in CT. In general you have to either trade a little on schools or live a little further away from everything. On searching for houses on a budget you may find houses with SQft listed that does not include a finished basement. If your working on a budget that may work for you to get some space.

Also keep in mind most school rating sites rate a school versus other schools in a state. On a National level that changes. My guess would be Norwich would be an average school district in most of the country.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,625 times
Yeah, I wish we weren't moving to hcol because we really can't afford 200k+ unless they spring some major col bonus on us that we aren't expecting. We currently rent 1300 for $900, and we can't stick another kid in here without us all going crazy.

I learned to drive in Texas. Flat as can be and the power lines do that perfect perspective merging at a point thing. If you can't see 100 miles ahead of you, I'm uncomfortable driving. We lived in Pittsburgh for a couple months and I just gave up driving, it sucked.

I think the Norwich elementary school got a 1/10. In other places that'd mean a metal detector at all the doors and daily fights. Is it really not that bad?

Old 04-18-2017, 01:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
You're going to have a very hard time fining a 1500- 2000 sf house for $ 170,00. Your price point is the bottom of the housing market for that region.

You're most likely to find an older home in Norwich for that amount of money. Be prepared to make lots of compromises on size, the location and condition of the home. Gales Ferry & the Pawcatuck section of the town of Stonington may also have some few possibilities.

Mystic is not a town in itself but the western portion of the town of Stonington and the eastern portion of the town of Groton. Depending on the address is where kids go to school. If it's in the Stonington section,they go to school in Stonington. If it's in the Groton section, the go to school in Groton.

Check these out

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...58070473_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...58978594_zpid/

Good luck

Old 04-18-2017, 01:56 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
Second Pawtucket and on the Rhode Island border.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:00 PM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Norwich is a small mill city that has seen better days. IF you want a town with good schools, I would look elsewhere. Even at your budget, there are other options.

Since you both would be working east of the Thames River, I would concentrate your search to towns east of the river. Groton itself is okay but there are some sections that can be considered questionable. Since you like more rural living I would suggest North Stonington, Ledyard, Preston and Stonington. All are nice towns with decent schools and are not that far from amenities and your jobs.

Your price is a bit low for the area and what you want but not entirely impossible. Just expect either a poorly located home (i.e. on or near a busy road) or a home needing some work. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Willow that's what I was trying to remember about Mystic. Despite spending a good part of my childhood summers in Noank I don't know much about the schools there. I used to work in Waterford and know those neighborhoods well.

I don't know any one currently in the Norwich school district, so I'm not sure why but it does appear 2 of the elementary schools are well under in national test scores(thou they seem closer to average after 2015) while all the others are about average. I'm not sure how Norwich divides their districts so not sure how easy it is to avoid those schools. My guess would be no the school would not be as unsafe as your imagining but I would avoid it if you could.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...58968617_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...58063774_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...58062742_zpid/

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoede View Post
Yeah, I wish we weren't moving to hcol because we really can't afford 200k+ unless they spring some major col bonus on us that we aren't expecting. We currently rent 1300 for $900, and we can't stick another kid in here without us all going crazy.

I learned to drive in Texas. Flat as can be and the power lines do that perfect perspective merging at a point thing. If you can't see 100 miles ahead of you, I'm uncomfortable driving. We lived in Pittsburgh for a couple months and I just gave up driving, it sucked.

I think the Norwich elementary school got a 1/10. In other places that'd mean a metal detector at all the doors and daily fights. Is it really not that bad?
Yeah space can be a problem We currently have 1100 sqft with 3 kids. Currently debating an addition or moving.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Second Pawtucket and on the Rhode Island border.
Pawtucket is a town in Rhode Island that is north of Providence. It is not near where the OP's job is located in Groton. I believe you mean Pawcatuck which is a section of the Town of Stonington. I am not sure there will be much in the OP's price range there but they certainly can look and see. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut