Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 AM

9,915 posts, read 7,746,300 times

Advertisements

Fiancée and I were contemplating a move to this area of CT in the near future when school is over. The health organizations we work at have locations in New London and Waterford.

Curious how would the commute be from Stonington area to Waterford or New London?

Figure during summer could be daunting at times.

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:28 AM

4,719 posts, read 5,983,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Fiancée and I were contemplating a move to this area of CT in the near future when school is over. The health organizations we work at have locations in New London and Waterford.

Curious how would the commute be from Stonington area to Waterford or New London?

Appreciate the feedback.
There is little traffic along 95 in that area during the week, even during the summer. This is even during rush hour. On the weekends and on holidays, it's definitely different. I'm not saying there is no traffic, but I doubt you will slow down much on the highway. I haven't gone from Stonington to New London/Waterford very often during rush hour, but I have gone the opposite way at times, and never had a problem. so, I can't imagine the reverse is difficult.

If you stick to somewhere east of the Route 9 exit (Old Saybrook), you should be fine. The bridge that goes from Old Saybrook to Old Lyme is the big sticking point in the area, as there can be accidents there that can shut down the highway, or cause huge backups.

So, stick with Old Lyme, East Lyme/Niantic, Waterford, Groton, New London, Stonington/Mystic. Though, I would avoid New London. If you don't want to live on the shoreline, there is also Montville, North Stonington, Salem, etc as well.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:30 AM

13,382 posts, read 27,150,244 times
Quote:
If you were working normal office hours I don't think you would be bothered by beach traffic. When I have visited relatives in Stonington during the summer, I-95 has been clear sailing on weekdays except for a brief slow-down at the sub-base exit in New London.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:02 AM

I have bee researching outside areas, but nothing really can compare to CT. Granted CT is congested and heavily taxed. Areas like Mass have a higher tax in one area and higher property value. Other places just have low taxes and lower pay. Mystic/Norwich/Stonington seems like a happy medium. Probably like Portsmouth, but housing cost bit more expensive then CT. New London/Waterford/Downtown Mystic/Downtown Stonington/Westerly RI can fill that void.

You are about 30 minutes from UCONN and a little further, but not terrible from SCSU. You have about 3 hospitals in the area, 2 big Rehabilitation units, DMHAS sites, and several other smaller nursing homes.

Near the Navy base looking to join the Reserves so works our perfect.

Good running community in the area and ample hiking near by at CT's largest State Forest.

How is the ocean there? Is it still the Sound or more the Ocean?

Old 08-08-2016, 09:39 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,792,605 times
The water is still the Sound. Groton & Stonington are actually on Fisher's island Sound. Fisher's island
( long and narrow) blocks the ocean, so it's still the more calm Sound type of water.

You have to get out to Misquamicut and beyond to get ocean waters & waves.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:26 PM

That's cool I know living near Waterford and East your about 30 minutes away from Misquamicut. I think Lake Hayward is near by as well. Get terrible ear infections if I swim in the Sound or stream fed lakes.

Fiancée love the whole shore from Niantic eastbound. It's quiet, relaxed, friendly people, lots of activities to do, nature, big into literature, lots of great local restaurants, the Aquarium, lots of history, lower property taxes, lower housing cost, less snow usually, less traffic outside of summer tourist, and so forth.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
That's cool I know living near Waterford and East your about 30 minutes away from Misquamicut. I think Lake Hayward is near by as well. Get terrible ear infections if I swim in the Sound or stream fed lakes.

Fiancée love the whole shore from Niantic eastbound. It's quiet, relaxed, friendly people, lots of activities to do, nature, big into literature, lots of great local restaurants, the Aquarium, lots of history, lower property taxes, lower housing cost, less snow usually, less traffic outside of summer tourist, and so forth.
yes, it's an underrated area. If you like books/literature, you have the Book Barn stores in East Lyme and Niantic that are pretty popular. A bit further to the west in Madison is RJ Julia, which regularly has fairly well known authors stop by for book signings.

The summer temps usually don't get as warm, either. When I worked in Glastonbury and lived in East Lyme, I would often see May/June temps in the mid 80s at work in Glastonbury, but low to mid 70s in East Lyme.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:51 PM

I know camp down that way it's much cooler. Some nights in the summer wearing a sweatshirt. Like it being underrated ha. You have the rail line trying to work a deal with Amtrak to extend to Mystic & Westerly. New London Waterfront is in a big stage of redevelopment. You have Masonicare and Yale moving down that way. That with Hartford already down there and a lot of DMHAS sites great area for healthcare. Need Gaylord to claim some stake be awesome. Your near Providence.

Up where I am property tax in my city is 62 mill rate and neighboring town is in the mid 40's. Lower ptax and beautiful scenery win win!

New London County is home to some big time sport hero's like Matt Harvey, Amby Burfoot, John J. Kelly Jr. & Sr., and Ellison Myers Brown Sr.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:05 PM

this is a few years old now, but Old Lyme had a mill rate around 20, East Lyme around 24, Waterford 25, Stonington is 22 or 23 or so (depending on the fire district), Groton is 22-25 (depending on the fire district), North Stonington 26... Norwich is close to 39, though, so is an exception.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
this is a few years old now, but Old Lyme had a mill rate around 20, East Lyme around 24, Waterford 25, Stonington is 22 or 23 or so (depending on the fire district), Groton is 22-25 (depending on the fire district), North Stonington 26... Norwich is close to 39, though, so is an exception.
That's low except for Norwich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut