Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 AM

137 posts, read 109,711 times

Advertisements

1200 max for a 1 bedroom , schools are not important to me . I would just enjoy a coastal Connecticut lifestyle but my job would have to be At An airport that's why I was woundering what has close commutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 11:30 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
1200 max for a 1 bedroom , schools are not important to me . I would just enjoy a coastal Connecticut lifestyle but my job would have to be At An airport that's why I was woundering what has close commutes
There are a few smaller airports along the coast but the state's biggest airport is Bradley International and it is in Windsor Locks about 50 miles from New Haven. I do know people that lived on the coast and worked there but that is not a commute I would want to do every day. Not only is it long, you would have to commute through Hartford which is a big city with typical big city traffic problems, especially during rush hours.

You could live in or near old Saybrook at the mouth of the Connecticut River. IT is a beautiful small beach community with a lot of nice restaurants and beaches to visit. The commute to Bradley would not be bad since Route 9 starts there and takes you directly to I-91 just south of Hartford. Without traffic it would be about an hour commute. The one problem with Route 9 is that there are a couple of traffic signals on it in Middletown but the rest of the highway is expressway so you can make decent time.

If your job allows you to work at a smaller airport, then consider living near Sikorsky Memorial airport in Stratford, Tweed-New Haven Airport in New Haven or Groton-New London Airport in Groton. I do not think these have a lot of commercial flights but there are a lot of small plane and private flights in and out of each. For Sikorsky you could live in Stratford itself or neighboring Milford. For Tweed there is Branford or East Haven right next door. And for Groton-New London you could live in Groton or neighboring Stonington. Keep in mind that apartment prices are generally lower the further east you go so your best bet for a lower cost rental would be in Groton and your worst in Stratford. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 07-22-2016, 01:05 PM

4,463 posts, read 3,358,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
Take a look at Branford. It has an easy laid back coastal vibe. It is one of the towns I am considering for retirement so I am aware of the pricing there.

Here is an apartment right on the water.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/apa/5622193504.html

This one is right in the little downtown area. You can bike to the beach from here.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/apa/5695506605.html

There are a lot of bars, restaurants and shopping in Branford as opposed to some other coastal towns. I have some musician friends that used to play in an bar/restaurant in the downtown. By the experiences I have had there the people are fun and like to have a good time. I don't get that same "fun" feeling in some of the other coastal towns which are more for families.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:02 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,966 times
If your Ok with a semi coastal lifestyle you can go up the CT river a little. Essex and Deep river are very water focused towns I would throw in Chester as well. Not the same as living near the beach but nice quiet New England towns. No idea what the rental markets in either is like thou. These would get you closer to Bradley. You could also move to the Mystic Stonington or Pawcatuck area and head to TF green in RI.
Pretty much anywhere on the coast of CT puts you about 40 minutes to an hour away from major commercial airports unfortunately. If your flying places a few days at a time no big deal if your going to work in the physical airport all day and driving back and forth it gets old.

I don't believe New Haven or Groton have any commercial flights right now. I know New Haven did about 10 years ago but I think they shut it down.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,966 times
It doesn't help you at all as far as airports but I spend quite a bit of time in New London and have a few friends that live there, south of the hospital is a pretty nice area with reasonable rents. It nets you a walk able small city with great transit (non airport) connections and low rents as well as beaches and boat access on the cheap. But beware there are several un pleasant neighborhoods where crime is still an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut