Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2023, 04:31 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,150,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sadly Apple Cinema on Front Street has closed. I know they did a decent business on weekend nights but was pretty empty other times. They also had staffing issues. Instead the owners will concentrate on thei New Park Avenue facility.

Even more sad is that the building owners are pursuing non-theater tenants for the space. That’s too bad since movie theaters added a nice additional dimension to downtown Hartford. Jay

https://www.courant.com/2023/06/29/a...n-renovations/

It is sad. I went there many times. it will probably be just another restaurant no one needs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 05:41 PM

389 posts, read 163,667 times
Guess I never really understood why it’s relevant how many New Yorkers are moving to CT. Unless it’s new construction, it means the seller is moving, often times out of state which is confirmed by CT’s flat population.

My neighbor just sold a few months ago, moved to Delaware, a NY couple bought the house. So someone moved here but someone moved out…why does that matter?

Old 06-29-2023, 06:12 PM

6,923 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Guess I never really understood why it’s relevant how many New Yorkers are moving to CT. Unless it’s new construction, it means the seller is moving, often times out of state which is confirmed by CT’s flat population.

My neighbor just sold a few months ago, moved to Delaware, a NY couple bought the house. So someone moved here but someone moved out…why does that matter?
Was this meant for the real estate thread?
Hundreds of thousands want to move out of CT to get closer to Jesus and AR15s. That much is true but listen, here’s the thing. 3M in CT are going nowhere. Not Ever!
CT natives and even newbies are along the most faithful in the nation.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Hundreds of thousands want to move out of CT to get closer to Jesus and AR15s. That much is true but listen, here’s the thing. 3M in CT are going nowhere. Not Ever!
I'm staying right here. Take THAT Jesus!

Old 06-29-2023, 06:31 PM

278 posts, read 146,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Move out of CT?! If they want to be close to AR15s why not move to the closer to the Hartford area to be close to Colt who develops them. Can't be much closer than that!

Old 06-29-2023, 08:02 PM

One of the most unfortunate things for Hartford has been the evolution of concerts over the past 20 plus years. The building of concert venues at Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun took away a lot of shows that might have played the XL Center at one time. And history is apparently repeating itself with The Meadows. I noticed there were not a lot of shows this summer compared with prior years. First I thought maybe everyone toured last year since it was the first post Covid summer where it was easy to do that. Nope. I just looked at the schedule for the Hartford Healthcare Amphitheater in Bridgeport. JAM PACKED with shows. Several of them probably would have played The Meadows a few years ago.

Hartford is losing its place as the entertainment center of gravity in the state. Even UConn threatened to play all of its games at Gampel. Probably an empty threat but still.

Doesn't seem hard to figure out. Build these venues closer to the shoreline and Fairfield County. Go to where the rich people are. Give them an easier drive. Who cares about Harford?

Follow the money. As always.

In more egalitarian times, it made sense for Hartford to be the entertainment hub because its geographical location in the middle of the state makes it pretty convenient for everyone. But we live in the era where money cancels all that out. Our politics have drifted south too. I wonder if we will ever have a Governor again not from Fairfield County or the shoreline.

Last edited by ryanthegoldengod; 06-29-2023 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-28-2023, 08:08 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
The vacant lot that was once home to Broadcast House, the home of WFSB on Constitution Plaza is up for sale. Once proposed to be the site of a new office building, the site has sat vacant for years. Hopefully a developer will see the great potential for a key site at the foot of the Founders Bridge. Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/business/a...e-18261578.php

Old 07-29-2023, 04:41 PM

129 posts, read 79,251 times
so many large swaths of lots used either for parking or completely vacant in the city, and i can't help but think of the transformation of the south boston waterfront the past 10-15 years, something the city and developers should look to emulate, that lot is perfect for a mixed-use highrise

Old 07-29-2023, 06:35 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushewick View Post
so many large swaths of lots used either for parking or completely vacant in the city, and i can't help but think of the transformation of the south boston waterfront the past 10-15 years, something the city and developers should look to emulate, that lot is perfect for a mixed-use highrise
Unless the private sector sees that potential and actually invests themselves, nothing changes.

They did..in Boston.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 07-29-2023 at 07:07 PM..

Old 07-30-2023, 05:16 AM

278 posts, read 146,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushewick View Post
Completely agree here. I moved from the Boston area to the Hartford area a little over 10 years ago, and it is amazing the development and transformation Boston has undergone during that time. Hartford's not so much, and very slow.

The Seaport as you mentioned really has been a highlight and absolutely amazing. Built on a landfill in the historically tough neigborhood of South Boston, the area now is home to million dollar condos, nice apartments, great restaurants, and brings in many visitors.

My recommendation would be for guys like Lamont, Bronin, and other people with Hartford, to drive up to Boston for a day and just see what a capital city could be. Hopefully getvsome inspiration for developments like DoNo and Bushnell South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut