Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 9,371 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Manchester with almost middle school/high school age children. I like Manchester but I would like to find a town with a more rural character (wooded or coastal)with a smaller high school. It doesn't have to be the best school system in CT but I want somewhere that will prepare them for college and hopefully be welcoming to them as newcomers. Walkable downtown would be nice but is not essential. It would be nice to have access to some stores since I am spoiled that way now, but it's not essential.

I work in downtown Hartford (capitol region) and while I can somewhat set my hours to help with the commute, sometimes I have to work late and I would like to be 45 min or under if possible. I have read many posts here and I have come up with Granby, Suffield, Bolton, Salem, Columbia, Burlington, Canton, Lyme, New Hartford, Berlin, Middlefield, Plymouth etc. I have a lot more towns on my list but I'm having a hard time figuring out commuting times since visiting on the weekend is not comparable. Some towns I do not want are Glastonbury, Simsbury and Tolland. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am willing to go pretty much anywhere else within that radius.

I tend to gravitate toward older houses with character, I don't like subdivisions. I am probably looking in the 250-300k range which may be more of a stretch in some areas but I have found listings in all of the towns I've searched so far.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:53 PM

4,719 posts, read 6,026,693 times
mileage-wise, Lyme is a long commute to Hartford, plus you need to get past the light on Route 9 in Middletown, which can slow you down a good 5-10 minutes or more every day. It's actually not a bad ride, but I often found it frustrating getting stopped at the lights on Route 9

Salem is not too bad - I would go through Salem and get into Glastonbury (right next to Hartford) in 20 minutes. Of course, Salem is fairly big area-wise, so you could tack on a good 10-12 minutes to get from one side of Salem to the Salem 4 Corners area is near the highway. If you're looking in Salem, Middlefield and Lyme, you might also want to consider Haddam and East Haddam - shorter commute than Lyme.

I wouldn't consider Berlin very rural. Nice suburban town, but not very rural.

Burlington could be a tough commute into Hartford - you'd need to make a long trek down Route 4 through Avon and Farmington before getting onto 84 to get into Hartford. During the school year, the traffic by the high school in Farmington is abysmal. Good schools and rural, though. It's certainly a do-able commute, though.

I like Canton quite a bit - the Collinsville section is pretty nifty, the schools are excellent, but a lot of the housing stock is newer. Commute could be similar to Burlington - going up Route 4 through Farmington, or 44 through Avon - but, also do-able.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:05 PM

4,719 posts, read 6,026,693 times
Also, why not Glastonbury, Tolland or Simsbury? Glastonbury is a big town, but it does have some rural aspects once you get out of the downtown areas. Same with Simsbury, but Simsbury can be a tough ride into Hartford.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:17 PM

4,323 posts, read 4,253,583 times
Towns just South of you, and East of Glastonbury -- Hebron, Willimantic, Coventry, Marlborough are pretty rural, and commutable to Hartford.

Ellington and Somers north of you are nice too.

You have plenty of options for rural, 45 minutes rush hour to Hartford, and not-to-exceed $ 300k.

I like the first batch, as they are 30-45 minutes to the beaches (Rocky Neck for example) in the summer. They're also in lower elevations which means less snow in the winter.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 9,371 times
Thank you for the posts, this is helpful information. Tolland is ideal in many ways but I know a couple of people who work in Tolland schools and who have told me things which make me reluctant to put my kids in their schools, despite it's overall good reputation. Nothing scandalous, just poor priorities. Glastonbury I think the high school is large, but I could be wrong. Glastonbury I also worry about the keeping up with the joneses mentality and maybe too affluent community. My niece went there and told me she was at a party where they gave cell phones as party favors. Berlin you're right is more faux rural, once you go beyond the tpke it does have some farms but I'm sure it's not the first one would think of when you say rural.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 PM

22,028 posts, read 28,574,912 times
Friends and family of mine live in Canton and Marlborough. Both seem like great options and pretty easy commutes.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,362,350 times
Glastonbury...

I would try to stay east of the river to avoid traffic on I-84, which is a long stop & go ride.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,070,216 times
I would look at Hebron, Marlborough, Andover (all same high school) and Granby. Burlington is tough on that budget. I gather from friends in Burlington and Canton that both towns are a little more like Avon and Simsbury than they used to be, so if Simsbury isn't a good fit, you may want to skip those too.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,899,945 times
Your best commute would be from eastern towns as others have said such as, Glastonbury, Hebron, Marlborough, Andover.

IMO of the towns you've listed Suffield is a good choice. You could also consider Southwick, MA, Congomond, MA (Congomond lakes area)

From Suffield you could drive down RT 75 into Hartford at least part of the way to avoid I-91. Traffic starts to get bad as you approach Hartford/Windsor line on RT 75. There are at least 3 entrances to I-91 from RT 75. You could make a practice run to see if it's worth staying on RT 75 into Hartford. You would come out by Main St (one block south.)

You can also consider the towns surrounding the Barkhamsted reservoir too such as, Barkhamsted, Hartland, New Hartford. I think your commute from these towns would be 45 minutes though.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 PM

691 posts, read 1,158,523 times
Willimantic? You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Towns just South of you, and East of Glastonbury -- Hebron, Willimantic, Coventry, Marlborough are pretty rural, and commutable to Hartford.

Ellington and Somers north of you are nice too.

You have plenty of options for rural, 45 minutes rush hour to Hartford, and not-to-exceed $ 300k.

I like the first batch, as they are 30-45 minutes to the beaches (Rocky Neck for example) in the summer. They're also in lower elevations which means less snow in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut