Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 10,631 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I am currently living in Boston and thinking about moving to CT to get closer to family in the NY area. I'd like a little advice about where to look.

About me. I am female, early 30's, and single. I would like an area with the possibility of meeting other singles. I have a disability that makes it a bit hard for me to get around, so somewhere that is easy to drive/walk. I try to keep my driving radius around 20-30 minutes and I avoid expressways. I would use the train to get into NY. I love the outdoors, so I am hoping to find a place that has a decent amount of land for a reasonable price, under $400,000ish. And easy access to outdoor activities (hiking, fishing, etc.) would be great. I can't drink and rarely go to bars, but I do enjoy exploring restaurants especially ethnic ones. I went to MIT so I like being around intellectual things and people. I go to a lot of concerts and lectures at the local universities here in Boston. I am originally from the Midwest so I am very friendly, but on the shy side. I'd like a community that is friendly and easy to meet people.

I have been exploring my options a bit. I was looking outside of New Haven, maybe Branford... but how easy is it to get into New Haven? I was also researching Danbury, but will there be any singles or interesting things to do there? I am open to suggestions. I think a college town might work nicely for me, if you know of one that is interesting let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 AM

21,977 posts, read 28,452,901 times
What would you consider a decent amount of land?

Walkable + more land doesn't mix in CT.

If you can forgo some land, New Haven itself would be a good option. Maybe Stratford or Milford, as they're walkable near the town centers and you can have a small lot in the areas with sidewalks, with a train that's much quicker to NYC than points east of New Haven. Anything closer to NYC, and you start getting much less house for the money.

Danbury's social scene is lacking compared to Stamford and New Haven, and the best areas of Danbury are not walkable. The walkable city center is kind of undesirable.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM

4,719 posts, read 6,009,509 times
If you're looking for a decent amount of land and being around intellectuals, Woodbridge might fit the bill. An article from the Hartford Courant a year or so back listed it as the town in the state with the highest percentage of residents with at least a master's degree. A lot of college professors live in town - not just Yale, but University of New Haven, Albertus Magnus and Quinnipiac. You'll also have very easy access to a ton of restaurants in New Haven and Milford(10-15 minutes)

Woodbridge would also get you on the west side of New Haven, which makes for an easier trip to NY than Branford would. However, Woodbridge is also a quiet suburban town.

Here is a nice sized colonial in Woodbridge on 1.6 acres:
15 Evergreen Dr, Woodbridge, CT 06525 is For Sale - Zillow

Another home on 1.6 acres:
18 Hallsey Ln, Woodbridge, CT 06525 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What would you consider a decent amount of land?

Walkable + more land doesn't mix in CT.
I realize being near a city makes it harder to have land. But enough to have a big garden and hosts some bbq's would be ideal. Basically, the more the better, what can I get within about 15 minutes of a walkable city? I was assuming most of the cities in CT get rural faster than in Boston, is that incorrect? Right now I live 5miles/20minutes outside Boston and most homes have postage stamp backyards.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the Woodbridge suggestion, I hadn't looked into that yet. It looks on par with what I had in mind. Close to a walkable city area, but far enough away to have land and reasonable home prices.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,823,595 times
Branford would be a possibility but you'd have to take the highway ( 1-95) to New Haven. You could go around the back way in but it would take much longer and go through some not so nice areas.

Milford may be your best bet. As Stylo noted, the city center is walkable and very pretty. It has a number of good dining options and is close to New Haven for other cultural activities. Most people would take the highway to New Haven but you can take surface streets . Just takes longer.

Milford has a Metro North station, which is the way you get to NYC. Branford has the Shoreline East train which you would take to New Haven, then switch to Metro North. Am Trak also runs to NYC, but is expensive compared to Metro North.

You've got a tough nut to crack here with your wish list. Stuff for a single person to do, walkable but want land, won't drive the highway, need train proximity, want cultural amenities, everything has to be within 20-30 minutes drive, want trails, etc. You may have to prioritize.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You've got a tough nut to crack here with your wish list. Stuff for a single person to do, walkable but want land, won't drive the highway, need train proximity, want cultural amenities, everything has to be within 20-30 minutes drive, want trails, etc. You may have to prioritize.
Yeah I know I won't be able to get everything on my wish list. I just wanted to get a few more ideas from people that know the area. In terms of priorities, first I have to be able to get around. So I need to be a short drive from at least the basics (grocery store, pharmacy, gym, etc.). Boston driving is so hard it takes too much time and energy to run basic errands. Everything else is gravy I just need advice on. Can I find these things near Danbury or New Haven, if not how far would I have to go? Or are there other towns I haven't considered?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM

4,719 posts, read 6,009,509 times
Woodbridge has one Stop & Shop or Big Y for groceries, and you should not have many problems getting to nearby Orange, Milford or New Haven for other shopping, restaurants, cultural activities, etc. New Haven traffic isn't as bad as Boston.

However, you'll find mostly families in Woodbridge, so it's not the best place for singles. But, what it does do is give you fast and easy access to New Haven and Milford for those things.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM

21,977 posts, read 28,452,901 times
Danbury is just kind of subpar from a singles scene perspective, and also from a walkable center perspective (Downtown Danbury is not great).

You would also want to hop on the highway to Southeast or Katonah for the train to NYC, as the train direct from Danbury takes forever and doesn't run as often.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Great thanks for the insights! I should clarify that I avoid the highway if there are other options, but I do take it for short trips if there is not. I don't want to have to use the highway every time I need to go the grocery store, but to get the the train station every couple months would not be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut