Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM

101 posts, read 112,021 times

Advertisements

If it was that important to them you'd think they could take 5 minutes and knock on your door to make their request of you in person. Leaving a note such as this in your mailbox is the wrong way to approach in my opinion, and would not be taken well by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM

83,556 posts, read 75,454,544 times
Gee, none of you asked "how long" its been like that?

It doesn't take long to clean a driveway, porch and yard. Whether its garbage or brush.

And be thankful because if it was parts of NY nobody would say anything and the area would look like a mess. lol

Neighbor or neighbors are looking out for one another making sure the area stays neat.

I'm curious what you have to "clean up" that cant be done fast or is bothering the neighbor. If the home is under construction than that might be a different story but then again that's what a dumpster is for.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:00 PM

413 posts, read 1,106,988 times
It definitely is not a CT thing. When I lived in NY, anyone in the neighborhood, and beyond, felt free to comment on whatever was going on in my yard, other people's yards, etc. I even had strangers ring my doorbell to comment on how much they enjoyed my garden. People would exchange plants. There was a strong subculture. When I first moved to Ct, I liked the silence from the neighbors. Now, I kind of miss my old neighbors and the chit chat about the gardens, informal plant exchanges, etc. In CT, the atmosphere seems much more restrained. It could be because I"m in Weston, though, where it's hard to see many of the houses. I wouldn't worry about the note. If it's like my old neighborhood, it'll just take a while for people to warm up to you.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,102,947 times
I get kick out of my neighbors who obsess over their yards. They spend so much time raking leaves and trimming and cutting grass and bushes that they literally ignore their kids. People put down the yard tools and get out and live , I rake my yard once cut it maybe twice a month during summer and that's about it.

I do maintain my house because I don't want it falling apart but I could care less about my yard. I removed all landscaping so I have just grass and no shrubbery so there is very little upkeep. I much prefer getting out and living than being a slave to my yard. I know that some people enjoy yard work and it is relaxing for them. But I don't think that neighbors should expect everyone else to share in their obsession.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,691,212 times
Sounds like you have a "snubber" . Those are
Self aggrandized
Narcissistic
Uber elitist
Rhinos

They horn in on the neighbors property and affairs. Why do they care about your windows, are they trying to peek thru them?

No - it's not normal in CT.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 AM

34,969 posts, read 57,045,368 times
I have a couple of neighbors who over-obsess about their yards. One won't let his kids cut his grass because they would not do it properly. I laughed at that one. What about teaching your kids a work ethic and working to be part of a family?

Another neighbor did not like the condition of our backyard so they put up a stockade fence. They did not ask or tell us before they did it and they put it up 2 feet from our chain link fence. It was kind of insulting IMHO. Our backyard was not a mess or anything but we have dogs who dig up the grass so it is not manicured. Plus we tore the whole yard apart with a home improvement project. The funny thing is that we were planning to replace the chain link fence anyway so they ended up paying for it entirely, saving us some money. We have now finished our backyard and it looks great. If only they had talked to us they would have known what we were planning. Their loss.

Now this same neighbor sent a tree crew over to our house to see if we want to take down a sick tree we have. At first the guy only said that they were working next door and noticed the tree. My wife grilled him a bit and he admitted our neighbor kind of sent him over. I have been reluctant to remove the tree, hoping it would come back. Sadly I told my wife to go ahead and have them take it down. Jay

Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 AM

809 posts, read 1,274,549 times
When I buy my house in the Westport area which is where I am planning to after getting married next year... I'm planning to have my own set of cows that I can milk for real and natural milk. I'm gonna let them poop all over my yard and get a kick out of how my neighbours react. Wish I had neighbours like the OP.

Wait, can one own a cow in CT??? LMAO

Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 AM

34 posts, read 59,297 times
I grew up in CT and have lived here most of my life and I've never heard of anything like this happening to anyone, so no it's not a CT thing.

The way I see it, your property is *your* property. It's not mine. If I don't like what you're doing on your own property, that's really my problem and not yours. It's none of my business unless it's directly affecting my property or my ability to live on it. If there are cannonballs landing in my yard or you're standing on your porch naked playing the bagpipes at 3am, then I have a right to intervene. If I don't like the way your leaves are raked, tough luck for me.

Sometimes you need to fight the urge to try to control everyone else's behavior and just accept things you may not like or agree with.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 11,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Is that fluent or affluent?
Oops, typing to fast.

you guys are funny and definitely ease my mind a lot. Thanks. This forum is awesome.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM

856 posts, read 2,017,152 times
One of my neighbors tried to mow my lawn (while I was preparing the mower in my garage mind you) so I told her off. Now every time the mow stripes have grown out she makes flustered faces when she drives by. When I mow she comes out and loiters in her yard and watches. When people act like that if rather they just leave a note. Find out who it is, mail a Cease and desist letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut