Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2023, 01:56 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
>>But yes, CT should work to make more strategic partnerships with MA, not just NYC. I'd like to see more coordination between MA CT RI. CT should not want to compete with MA and figure out a way to be a 2nd option for companies, or another office branch for MA businesses.

This requires reciprocity - just look at the comments on Boston.com about this move. Why on earth would CT work with an intergovernmental partner that's not operating in good faith? If anything, CT has its own unique attributes. The comment above reads as if CT should become a vassal state to MA instead of NY, when CT has its own thing going as well. It is not a crisis - if anything this Lego event is healthy pressure for the state to step its game up. Anyway, CT has numerous agreements with fellow New England state governments and companies (e.g. public school procurement is one example).

>>And it benefits the least from being a part of the NYC Tri-State, by far.

Given that NYC Metro's economy is an order of magnitude larger than Boston's (something that CT, especially FFC positively contributes to in addition to our own state's public purse based in Hartford), it makes sense for CT to have a seat at the table and influence on the development of the region. At least 25% of our state's population live in the NYC CSA so that's no small number. We also benefit from frequent, yes at times slow, but frequent and relatively high quality train service into New York (many states would love to have that asset). The MTA and CDOT treat Metro-North customers really well compared to NYC subway riders (unfortunate but good for CT). Intra state travel along the New Haven line is highly subsidized and relatively cheap as well. We also generally have a positive rep in the Tri-State, especially when compared to NJ and LI.

What CT needs to do is continue to re-build its economic development muscle that was sidelined under Malloy and educate the public on how economic development and protecting character can co-exist.

I feel confident that Gov. Lamont and his team, given his business background, can help turn this around. He did mention that he's singularly focused on economic development the next four years. Looking forward to reading his budget address in Feb.

This state is more prosperous and diverse than ever - I see the momentum on CT's side. We have a bright future here if we execute correctly.
NorCal… the state is not more prosperous than ever. That’s just not true. Just ain’t every third party independent party totally disagrees. People eye test disagrees. All the CT people in MA also disagree. I hate this always turn into a negative when I’m honestly talking about positive steps the state could take but some posters won’t even acknowledge that there is an issue. I’d like to have the real option to possibly move there some day but I’m continuously dissuaded by negative economic news.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...-more-poverty/

-Even by its own measure its ranked 40th out of 50th for states in economic recovery. https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/ctdigest.asp

-It ranked 39/50 for business-friendliness (an improvement over the Malloy years for sure)

-I saw another publication that had Norwich-New London at 5th worst in the nation for job recovery from the pandemic.

-Another academic study that said Hartfords economy has virtually come to a "standstill"

In 6 days you just lost 2 major american companies and nearly 2000 jobs and youre saying its better than ever? Unbelievable.

If CT people are this sold on CT it will never really, significantly improve. Like it’s cool to be optimistic but this is like saying Boston is more affordable than every. More diverse than ever, sure- but so is everywhere else…

As for comments on Boston.com what on Gods green earth does that have to do with intergovernmental partnerships??

Sure CT benefits from the NYC CSA but obviously less than New Jersey or LI- which is why its cheap. Why would you not want a partner to the north. Many in Western MA already look to CT for shopping employment dining and entertainment. With E-W rail in the horizon CT should already be working with MA in some form or fashion like MA did on CTRail.

Edit: I just read every comment on this article you mentioned. What are you looking at I have no idea what the issue is, none. No one even said “Connecticut” https://www.boston.com/news/business...oston-in-2026/

Please feel free to highlight any comment here- I’m serious.

Youre getting to be a real New Englander though- the resistance to change is endemic to the region...

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-25-2023 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-25-2023, 02:21 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it I want to see everybody in New England win. 1. It makes Boston less red hot -that is love that 2. I’m a new Englander 100% 3. Best years if my life were in Connecticut 4. You deserve it 5. It’s be great for everyone especially in southern NE.

Idk It feels like FFC just sees themselves and New Haven when advantageous, rest of CT seems like a serious after thought like we do WMass.

Old 01-25-2023, 04:33 PM

34,010 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I think it also sort of depends there's a number of different things that I've been thinking about with this issue. The toy industry goes back a long ways to the region. Parker Brothers used to be in Springfield and COLECO had a very long history in West Hartford. Coleco is actually the first company to license Disney which in retrospect was huge. If it wasn't for the failed Adam project they probably would have lasted longer. Much of the toy industry in the United States has consolidated the Hasbro and Mattel.

I find some of the discussion to be a little bit interesting because of his timing. Now earlier on this company told Lamont that they had no plans in leaving Connecticut. And there were discussions about the proximity of a manufacturer to the administrative office. So that would lead me to think if they were going to leave they would have left to virginia, not Boston. Maybe some nice suburb of Colonial Williamsburg or something like that.

So what changed? Well this probably

https://www.westernmassnews.com/2023...st-west-trail/

Everything is aligning to expand rail service on a much more frequent basis going west of Worcester. So technically speaking in another two and a half years maybe they might not even lose their jobs at all they can just take the train in the Boston. We're talking about actual administrative staff not in manufacturing so it's not like they can't work unless they have something special. Laptops are extremely common.

Otherwise I think some of this practicality doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They haven't even discussed where in Boston they want to go. If you don't even know who your landlord is how are you even budgeting for rent? If it's not by any form of rail or bus you're likelihood of getting people is going to be hard. So how many people legitimately are going to be selling their homes and relocating to Boston knowing that the home price is going to cost more and you have a higher interest rate and you have to send the kids to different schools. I don't want to get off topic but Boston Public Schools is not a school you want your kids to go to. So then you have to figure private school.

The other odd part I've seen is that with some recent announcements it's not so much with some companies layoffs but that they're going fully virtual. Wayfair promised Pittsfield about 300 jobs and it only created about 40 and they're now going to leave the office and transfer them to a remote division. No job loss but Pittsfield is going to lose tax revenue.

Remember what happened to ge? Yeah they did move but this idea of a huge GE complex in Boston just didn't happen.
Corps lose 1/2 when they relo, which they need, as incentives from the new state are based on locals being hired. They just never state that publicly.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:01 PM

371 posts, read 155,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That’s kind of a silly point, putting it on the forum for town recommendations.

West Hartford and Glastonbury are a 30 minute commute to Enfield. You don’t need to live in the town you work in. A lot of corps are in towns that aren’t desirable. Commuting is always an option.

Too bad Lego couldn’t have taken over the Pepperidge building. That would be a much better location for talent acquisition. Enfield is one of the worst spots in the state for talent acquisition. It is what it is.

I will say that I think New Haven, as a bright spot small city, doesn’t do enough to aggressively attract corps outside the Yale influence of bio/medical. They could really build something, but I don’t think the admin knows how to. The city needs leadership that's a bit more business focused, a bit less social justice focused.
I appreciate your comments but with inside information I can tell you with 100% certainty that many times people have specifically referenced this forum in their decision making process and it was not in a positive light.

When you apply for a job and it’s in a random spot non-locals have no idea what it is (ex: Enfield CT) you resort to the internet for information about the town and location.

Multiple people that turned down job offers stated less than flattering information about Enfield and surrounding areas, and CT in general, as a place they didn’t want to go to. When talking to the talent advisor/recruiter, City Data was mentioned by name.

If you don’t think this forum has an impact, you’re wrong.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:14 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it I want to see everybody in New England win. 1. It makes Boston less red hot -that is love that 2. I’m a new Englander 100% 3. Best years if my life were in Connecticut 4. You deserve it 5. It’s be great for everyone especially in southern NE.

Idk It feels like FFC just sees themselves and New Haven when advantageous, rest of CT seems like a serious after thought like we do WMass.

Young people want live in these cities on East Coast they talk about them a lot when I read the comments over the years. CT need make their cities more walkable and interesting.

Tier 1: Boston, NYC, Miami, DC

Tier 2: Atlanta, Charleston SC, Norwalk/Stamford, Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando, Baltimore inner Harbor, Center City Philly

Norwalk, Stamford, New Haven is the state best bet

Old 01-25-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Young people want live in these cities on East Coast they talk about them a lot when I read the comments over the years. CT need make their cities more walkable and interesting.

Tier 1: Boston, NYC, Miami, DC

Tier 2: Atlanta, Charleston SC, Norwalk/Stamford, Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando, Baltimore inner Harbor, Center City Philly
Man... I'm just tryna get some buy-in from CT folks right now... Some truly believe CT should just keep the course. IDK. They live there, not me. If they like it then they like it. I personally would love it if Lego would relocate to some of that very developable land in Hartford (give me a reason to visit again, just visiting a different part of NE is good) or any city in CT. But they say CT won't be hurting for it and they're better than ever so it's whatever.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:28 PM

371 posts, read 155,899 times
The consistent themes that constantly get thrown around are people in CT saying all those trendy city areas are expensive, traffic stinks, schools are not as good and medical care/hospital access is poor.

In CT I see people whine about lack of amenities, high taxes.

There’s no right or wrong, personal preference, where your family is, weather and a bunch of other characteristics are subjective to one’s taste and lifestyle.

I think a relatively strong consensus would agree that a 30 something single person or couple with no kids , by and large, likely won’t find Hartford area super appealing, especially if they are not from here or don’t have family here. The problem with this is that is becoming more of a norm. People are getting married much later, having kids much later (or not at all) and mostly spend their money on experiences and not tangible things. When you have people visit you in Hartford area on a random weekend, you likely will spend more time at your house, maybe go to a restaurant or a brewery. When you live in Boston, NYC, DC/DMV, you have many more options for plans/activities and spend more time outside the home.

Ask yourself this simply question. If Lego had no building and they were starting from scratch and deciding where to put their building with 700 employees. Would they pick Enfield/Greater Hartford…no, hence the reason they are now moving.

I remember specifically reading a post from JayCT, I believe the moderator, about a large truck warehouse being built in Enfield. He said something to the effect of “the town should appreciate the extra tax revenue, it was built on industrial land”. This same truck warehouse was being built adjacent to the nicest Enfield neighborhood with the highest property tax values. The trucks pollute, have noise, increase traffic and wear tear on town roads that will cost money.

That same warehouse just got a tax abatement after the fact from the town. Now Lego is leaving. 750 employees will no longer get gas at local stations, stop at the Target/Home Depot/Costco on their way home or meet up for lunch/happy hour after work at local restaurants. In a year time span the town added a huge eyesore annoyance and lost an important employer. Talk about a tough break.

Certain CT towns have to start developing in their town amenities, walkable areas, and creating desirable places for people to call home.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:35 PM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Man... I'm just tryna get some buy-in from CT folks right now... Some truly believe CT should just keep the course. IDK. They live there, not me. If they like it then they like it. I personally would love it if Lego would relocate to some of that very developable land in Hartford (give me a reason to visit again, just visiting a different part of NE is good) or any city in CT. But they say CT won't be hurting for it and they're better than ever so it's whatever.
Here's the deal. Millions in the state didn't know Lego was in Enfield in the first place, ok? The only one's who care are those who work there and live in the area. The rest of the state doesn't care. Not one iota. I know that sounds harsh but it's the reality of things.
West Hartford, New Haven, Milford, Fairfield, Stamford, Glastonbury, Norwalk, Old Saybrook, Madison, Essex, Guilford, Trumbull, Greenwich, Redding, Brookfield among others, and Westport my God - you should see these people, outside of the CT Forum crew, these people are living on Cloud Nine, they are living the dream life like you would not believe. The things they say. They not only like the course as is, but love it to death. They don't care that Boston or anywhere is better, they just don't.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:12 PM

34,010 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Another major Connecticut employer has announced job cuts but has not identified where. Lockheed Martin, the parent of Sikorsky Aircraft in Stratford, has said it will cut 800 jobs in the division that includes Sikorsky. We will see if it affects our state or not. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/stratf...00-jobs-report
It has been a very ugly start, in terms of jobs, in Ct in 2023.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:19 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It has been a very ugly start, in terms of jobs, in Ct in 2023.
Not only CT the country economy expect to slow down in 2023 we could enter slow recession but we will see strong growth in 2024.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut