Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2023, 12:49 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post
How did Boston "capitalize on this"?
Is this a serious question? How has Boston capitalized on its cluster of universities?

Look at LEGO for starters.

Should CT not do more to capitalize on being a part of the KNowledge Corridor? Is it good enough as is?

Old 01-27-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
You may have missed a rather large apple in-between those cities
Boston is not really comparable or a peer city to NYC. Thats flattering as a thought but alas..

Old 01-27-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Can we just start a "How great is Boston" thread?
Brush the chip off your shoulder and quit being salty. It's not a good look.

There are 1807 pages and 18,000 posts about CT Economics- you'll get through comparison to Boston as it pertains to attracting young talent and the corporations they work for.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
but is a "competitor" (you own words) to Boston for business
Sure. I wasn't gonna toot that horn for fear of NorCal/Steve/Jay backlash and ridicule. Was going the more humble route.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
my point being is it does compete with Boston for workers, business, and even the arts.

I have nothing against Boston, I love it. I went to school there, lived there, have family in mass, go to sporting events there, go to the cape, and consider myself a New Englander. That said, I have no desire to live there again or even in Mass. I also have no desire to live in NY again...but I will take either state over living down south again.
That’s is cool but I guess a little random. Unless are you a young professional type wee discussing here?

Glad you’re enjoying CT I’m sure the supermajority of CT does. I enjoyed living there.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:36 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Sure. I wasn't gonna toot that horn for fear of NorCal/Steve/Jay backlash and ridicule. Was going the more humble route.
I wouldn't have given backlash. I don't care much for either NYC or Boston.

CT's workforce and economy does just well on it's own. Most FCounty residents don't work in or need NYC.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:39 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
I’m sorry you had that fear. You shouldn’t unless you claim something that has no backup to it. That’s when we comment strongly. Too often people come here with outlandish claims that aren’t valid. You’ll notice we have had pages of claims that Boston is so great economically with little argument. It’s a fact you can’t deny. Jay

Old 01-27-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Could mean a brokerage firm, could mean a startup, a franchise, could be an art studio or restaurant.

It doesn't have to be a young professional but it could be. My point being is the proximity of the two obviously make them competitors in business.
Miscommunication- I was asking you personally if you are a young professional the like of which we are talking about. You divulged some personal info I thought was a little off topic so I thought maybe you were shedding light onto the preference of a ‘yuppie’

Old 01-27-2023, 01:50 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Is this a serious question? How has Boston capitalized on its cluster of universities?

Look at LEGO for starters.

Should CT not do more to capitalize on being a part of the KNowledge Corridor? Is it good enough as is?
Decades ago Boston made the very conscious decision to capitalize on its concentration of higher education institutions and its now paying off. Connecticut hasn’t been as conscientious promoting the Knowledge Corridor for nearly as long so it shows. As I said we really have to do better marketing the state and all it has to offer. It certainly can give any other northeastern state a run for their money. Jay

Old 01-27-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m sorry you had that fear. You shouldn’t unless you claim something that has no backup to it. That’s when we comment strongly. Too often people come here with outlandish claims that aren’t valid. You’ll notice we have had pages of claims that Boston is so great economically with little argument. It’s a fact you can’t deny. Jay
Thank Jay. No I’m not into gloating just to gloat or invading your form to gloat. Overall I don’t consider Boston and NYC peer cities. We know where Boston is economically, that’s why I really only focused on the “it’s not creative” part. Honestly it boring talking about Bostons economy I’d rather talk about the other things that it does well.

But this is the CT forum so the focus should be on CT. I’m here because I know Hartford-Springfield area pretty well. It’s the 2nd economic engine that’s purely NE and the other city I had lived in the longest before Baltimore. In general Western MA/Central/Northern CT could use an injection of life it was true when I lived there and true now. The thing I think it CT can more easily mimic the ongoings of Boston than it can NYC, and it’s in a place to offer more to Boston AND New England than it is to NYC. It’s good to look everywhere but Boston has more to learn from than an agglomeration of universities- for sure. .

I’ve always been hard on I think New Haven is more of its own thing than truly in the Tristate- just due to impractical commuting and distance. I think it’s long been the cultural capital of CT and was the former colonial Capitol… Truly would be happy to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut