Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 07:47 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I would not refer to the Connecticut mirror as bias. It's not some extreme right of left-wing group. The fact of the matter is though is that these prices are going to go up with diesel unless the state does something about it and that's harder to do in an election year without it turning political.
Let’s get this straight, EVERY media outlet has a bias. You just don’t realize it with most sources because they tend to hide it.

That article had Connecticut Motor Transport all over it. The headline gives it away with “Experts Say Costs Will Hit Consumers”. What “Experts” are they talking about? All costs hit consumers. That’s a fact that can’t be disputed. It’s nothing new.

It’s a bit suspicious that this comes out now. I’d say that they aren’t happy that the gas tax was cut temporarily but the diesel tax was not. That cuts into their profits as will a planned increase in the tax. Poor them. Jay

Old 06-03-2022, 09:01 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Let’s get this straight, EVERY media outlet has a bias. You just don’t realize it with most sources because they tend to hide it.

There are some good news sources.

Even before I saw this chart below, I listen to NPR and read a lot of the articles from the news outlets in the middle column. I watch CNN and Fox (Brett Baier) news shows to get the news. Here is the problem even on Fox News and CNN.....it's the news they are omitting that is scary. It's pretty chilling actually, it reminds me of Russian state TV where they only tell you the news they want you to hear.

The people who sit and watch Fox news all day scare the s*** out of me and the people who sit and watch stations like MSNBC all day scare the s*** out of me.

I am going to keep this little graphic for future reference. Of course we don't have a chart for local news. But I gotta tell you.....as an Independent I can tell frankly.

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checkin...ia-bias-charts
The chart below pretty much sums up what I have been thinking about the news for about the last 20 years.
Economic Climate in CT-mediabias.jpg

Old 06-03-2022, 09:58 AM

To get back to the CT economy. I got this article in my e-mail this morning.

When Will CT Cannabis Retail Sales Start: 5 Things To Know
https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...campaign=alert

It talks about retail outlets and the fact that CT residents can now grow recreational marijuana etc. So it ot me to thinking.....CT has/had the tobacco farms. I was wondering how CT would be for growing marijuana and could that boost our economy?

This article is from 2017 before recreational marijuana.
https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/cit...wing-marijuana

Hartford is the #5 best place to grow marijuana IN THE COUNTRY. This could really help our economy.

"Seizure of marijuana plants grown outdoors
Using 2015 data from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, we calculated the number of people per outdoor marijuana plant seized in each state. While it may seem counterintuitive, a higher number is better for this factor, as it indicates favorable growing conditions for marijuana."

Hartford CT Number of people in state per 1,000 seized marijuana plants grown outdoors: 9,160
LOL everyone is already growing it anyway.

Providence RI Number of people in state per 1,000 seized marijuana plants grown outdoors: 55,968
LMAO big time. This has to be the pothead capital of the country. I always like going to Providence and the people there. Now I know why everyone is pretty mellowed out and friendly. And of course Providence has the best art school in the county being RISD.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is a very nice piece of biased journalism that certainly has the Connecticut Motor Transport’s fingers all over it. The fact is Connecticut’s Special Transportation Fund has had multiple bandaid fixes over the past 20+ years to keep it from being depleted. The fact it has a surplus this year means NOTHING. It’s supposed to have a balance and $200 million surplus is a drop in the bucket when you are spending $700 to $900 million a year on transportation. You can’t go by how it is doing this year. You must look at it over the next ten years or longer.

Connecticut is about to make a significant investment in its transportation infrastructure. That’s going to take money and the Transportation Fund is where that money comes from. If we don’t properly fund it, those projects won’t get built.

As an example I just saw that CTDOT is advertising for consultants to plan and design the widening of I-95 between interchanges 19 and 27A in Bridgeport. This project will cost hundreds of millions. Add in projects like widening I-84 in Danbury; reconstructing the I-84/Route 8 interchange in Waterbury; and reconstructing the I-91/I-691/Route 8 interchange in Meriden and you will see that surplus disappear pretty fast. Jay
Jay, you seem to now more about this topic. Any reason why the DOT is pushing bid dates to like all major jobs out until September? Is that when some stimulus money is going to hit?

Old 06-03-2022, 07:55 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
To get back to the CT economy. I got this article in my e-mail this morning.

When Will CT Cannabis Retail Sales Start: 5 Things To Know
https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...campaign=alert

It talks about retail outlets and the fact that CT residents can now grow recreational marijuana etc. So it ot me to thinking.....CT has/had the tobacco farms. I was wondering how CT would be for growing marijuana and could that boost our economy?

This article is from 2017 before recreational marijuana.
https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/cit...wing-marijuana

Hartford is the #5 best place to grow marijuana IN THE COUNTRY. This could really help our economy.

"Seizure of marijuana plants grown outdoors
Using 2015 data from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, we calculated the number of people per outdoor marijuana plant seized in each state. While it may seem counterintuitive, a higher number is better for this factor, as it indicates favorable growing conditions for marijuana."

Hartford CT Number of people in state per 1,000 seized marijuana plants grown outdoors: 9,160
LOL everyone is already growing it anyway.

Providence RI Number of people in state per 1,000 seized marijuana plants grown outdoors: 55,968
LMAO big time. This has to be the pothead capital of the country. I always like going to Providence and the people there. Now I know why everyone is pretty mellowed out and friendly. And of course Providence has the best art school in the county being RISD.
I think with those numbers Hartford actually has had more seized per capita

Old 06-03-2022, 08:24 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Jay, you seem to now more about this topic. Any reason why the DOT is pushing bid dates to like all major jobs out until September? Is that when some stimulus money is going to hit?
That I do not know but I suspect that funding is the reason. It seems to drive a lot of their scheduling decisions. Jay

Old 06-04-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think with those numbers Hartford actually has had more seized per capita
Look at the sentence again....it says "per 1000" so that is per capita. The Providence area must have some really big illegal grows.

Look what I just found. May 2022
https://www.wbur.org/news/2022/05/25...is-legislation

We must have some very fertile soil in CT and RI. Per Capita CT/RI could become the marijuana capital of the country.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:09 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
Maybe I haven’t had enough coffee yet but it looks like the 1,000 is the number of plants seized. If you have a lower number of people per 1,000 plants seized then CT is growing more pot in this example.

Quote:
Look at the sentence again....it says "per 1000" so that is per capita. The Providence area must have some really big illegal grows.

We must have some very fertile soil in CT and RI. Per Capita CT/RI could become the marijuana capital of the country.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:20 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Growing isn't easy. Outdoor growing is pretty hard up North. You need at least 60 F. Indoor is something else. It's going to trans a long time for ct to catch up.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:40 AM

537 posts, read 331,034 times
Quote:

Northern CT River Valley was an awesome place to grow tobacco in the summer months (Amazon developments are now having them tear down all those nice looking red tobacco sheds). The leaves were used for fine cigar wrappers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut