Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 04:29 PM

385 posts, read 362,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And for many, it is. That’s why FL is one of the fastest growing states in the nation (TX is another - but no thanks).

Lately, I have been doing a lot of research on FL and am liking what I read. South FL is far from retirees (quite young, actually), and within south FL, Palm Beach County is politically progressive and fiscally prudent. The same can be said for Broward. They have politicians who actively recruit businesses, and successfully at that, from the Midwest and northeast.

I agree that the development and sprawl has gotten insane, especially on the east coast of FL. But at the same time, the majority of people buying those homes are from the DC to Boston corridor - bringing with them the mindset of quality education. I was pleasantly surprised to see how FL is moving up in the rankings and recently ranked as having some of the most quality higher education in the country overall. Not bad.

A college friend of mine just relocated to Wellington, FL from NJ. He said it’s a breath of fresh air to live in a state not riddled with fiscal issues and threats of massive tax hikes like he saw in NJ. So far, he likes what he sees with the public schools, too.
And contrary to what many insulated people think, the Healthcare in So Florida is superb.

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi...-lauderdale-fl

Old 05-26-2019, 04:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MD View Post
mismanaged financially and on a continuous course of increase taxation without solving the real issues and an increase in wasteful and useless spending.

Review this budget - make a list of cuts - then forward that to your state rep and senator. You can even make a thread here and have others help you decide what should be cut.

https://portal.ct.gov/OPM/Bud-Budget...2018---FY-2019

This is a comparison site where you can track budgeted expeneses vs actual expenses. Updated every month.

https://openbudget.ct.gov/#!/year/default

Quote:
The governor and legislature need to tackle the issues like a smart CEO and CFO would in a company facing equivalent problems as has worked in other states, rather than doing the opposite, which has been proven to fail in other states. No reason not to think CT will ultimately suffer the same outcome in loss of business and at least a partial loss in once-loyal residents otherwise.

Govt is not a business and can not be run like one. However, please provide specific examples of ideas that have worked in other states which were led by "smart CEO's types."

Old 05-26-2019, 05:01 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
The governor and legislature need to tackle the issues like a smart CEO and CFO would in a company facing equivalent problems as has worked in other states, rather than doing the opposite, which has been proven to fail in other states. .
Agree. Tn's Bredesen, 8 yr Nashville mayor, 8 year gov, who I am startled Dems did not push for higher office was best I ever saw. Common sense prevailed, he was a Health Care exec who understood what it would take to add corp jobs, and the state executed win-win deals (Unlike Malloy's First Five Fiasco).

He was one of the last pragmatic Democrats anywhere who never caved in to reckless spending ideas.

His Executive background provided the basis , no doubt, for his pragmatic, unemotional style that served his constituents well.

I'd love to see a Ct exec take the helm as governor here. Preferably from an F500 hq or subsidiary.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 05-26-2019 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-26-2019, 08:37 PM

717 posts, read 452,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
And contrary to what many insulated people think, the Healthcare in So Florida is superb.

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi...-lauderdale-fl
I have retired family down there and they can tell you first hand the healthcare is a mixed bag, good and bad, far from superb.

Here are some takeaways
1) extreme focus on “appearance of health”, being thin, dieting, looking beautiful, using products that have substitute for sugar and carbs. The preventative health is incidental but the incentive here is often on looks and beauty, to a point it’s actually emotionally “unhealthy”. As such, there’s a high rate of anorexia and bulimia in the palm beaches. OBGYN groups for instance rejecting patients over a certain weight.

2) Some of the new hospitals are for-profit acquired businessmen who facade the buildings with non-medicinal enticements such as having a magnificent marble Hyatt hotel fountain lobby, high rise clinical offices with ocean view, and then buying leads to guarantee the same physician group gets all the referrals. There’s an enormous amount of these kinds of schemes in South Florida and medicine is quite the business. Shady business practices, dinner groups, bought out stand-alone clinics, acquired centers under a parent hospital.

3) Provider costs in South Florida are expensive and there’s too many senior patients to manage proper care

Old 05-26-2019, 08:50 PM

717 posts, read 452,409 times
Quote:
And for many, it is. That’s why FL is one of the fastest growing states in the nation (TX is another - but no thanks).

Lately, I have been doing a lot of research on FL and am liking what I read. South FL is far from retirees (quite young, actually), and within south FL, Palm Beach County is politically progressive and fiscally prudent. The same can be said for Broward. They have politicians who actively recruit businesses, and successfully at that, from the Midwest and northeast.

I agree that the development and sprawl has gotten insane, especially on the east coast of FL. But at the same time, the majority of people buying those homes are from the DC to Boston corridor - bringing with them the mindset of quality education. I was pleasantly surprised to see how FL is moving up in the rankings and recently ranked as having some of the most quality higher education in the country overall. Not bad.

A college friend of mine just relocated to Wellington, FL from NJ. He said it’s a breath of fresh air to live in a state not riddled with fiscal issues and threats of massive tax hikes like he saw in NJ. So far, he likes what he sees with the public schools, too.

Wellington, Florida is a tennis/golf country club sprawl place that’s way west of the beaches and west of there you have literally nothing at all but swamp.

Palm Beach has 2 very good magnet high schools: Alexander W Dreyfoos School of the Arts and Sun Coast. These schools are high on that national list but not because of state funding but private grants from
Private foundations and donors such as Jimmy Buffett. The rest of the schools are fair but not superb.

The age demographic for moves down to Wellington are 40-50 somethings. Up from Florida are post-college grads and they earn less as they are younger median age. They head for NYC, Boston, New Haven, Hartford. This keeps West Hartford going but it’s not good for towns farther out from Hartford, New Haven, New York metro commuting area (eg Norwich/Waterbury/Killingly). It also hurts the ones outbound have more money than the ones coming in.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:08 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
I have retired family down there and they can tell you first hand the healthcare is a mixed bag, good and bad, far from superb.

Here are some takeaways
1) extreme focus on “appearance of health”, being thin, dieting, looking beautiful, using products that have substitute for sugar and carbs. The preventative health is incidental but the incentive here is often on looks and beauty, to a point it’s actually emotionally “unhealthy”. As such, there’s a high rate of anorexia and bulimia in the palm beaches. OBGYN groups for instance rejecting patients over a certain weight.

2) Some of the new hospitals are for-profit acquired businessmen who facade the buildings with non-medicinal enticements such as having a magnificent marble Hyatt hotel fountain lobby, high rise clinical offices with ocean view, and then buying leads to guarantee the same physician group gets all the referrals. There’s an enormous amount of these kinds of schemes in South Florida and medicine is quite the business. Shady business practices, dinner groups, bought out stand-alone clinics, acquired centers under a parent hospital.

3) Provider costs in South Florida are expensive and there’s too many senior patients to manage proper care
I agree. I know a number of people that live there band they struggle to find good health care. Misdiagnosis and poor treatments were common. After years of searching from West Palm to Miami, they gave up and came back north for health care. A number of people they knew did the same thing. Jay

Old 05-27-2019, 12:20 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. I know a number of people that live there band they struggle to find good health care. Misdiagnosis and poor treatments were common. After years of searching from West Palm to Miami, they gave up and came back north for health care. A number of people they knew did the same thing. Jay
Struggle to find good healthcare, in south Florida? Searched from West Palm to Miami, and couldn’t find decent healthcare? I don’t believe that’s a true representation of the area.

The Cleveland Clinic has been ranked among the top in the country. There are many other decent hospitals in other areas of FL that make top rankings for various specialties. Some of the nation’s most well respected nursing and PA programs are located in south Florida, both in Miami Dade and Broward.

In a metro of 7+ million, you can’t tell me people struggle to find good healthcare. Sounds like anecdotal data, at best, though.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-27-2019 at 12:28 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 12:27 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Wellington, Florida is a tennis/golf country club sprawl place that’s way west of the beaches and west of there you have literally nothing at all but swamp.

Palm Beach has 2 very good magnet high schools: Alexander W Dreyfoos School of the Arts and Sun Coast. These schools are high on that national list but not because of state funding but private grants from
Private foundations and donors such as Jimmy Buffett. The rest of the schools are fair but not superb.

The age demographic for moves down to Wellington are 40-50 somethings. Up from Florida are post-college grads and they earn less as they are younger median age. They head for NYC, Boston, New Haven, Hartford. This keeps West Hartford going but it’s not good for towns farther out from Hartford, New Haven, New York metro commuting area (eg Norwich/Waterbury/Killingly). It also hurts the ones outbound have more money than the ones coming in.
What a confusing lost, at best. Sorry but on almost all points, you are mistaken.

Wellington is beautiful equestrian country with good schools. The median age is 40.6, with half being below and half being above. Not much different than most CT suburbs.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:31 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Struggle to find good healthcare, in south Florida? Searched from West Palm to Miami, and couldn’t find decent healthcare? I don’t believe that’s a true representation of the area.

The Cleveland Clinic has been ranked among the top in the country. There are many other decent hospitals in other areas of FL that make top rankings for various specialties. Some of the nation’s most well respected nursing and PA programs are located in south Florida, both in Miami Dade and Broward.

In a metro of 7+ million, you can’t tell me people struggle to find good healthcare. Sounds like anecdotal data, at best, though.
I agree, we have super health care available, as well as subpar, all across our fine nation.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:56 AM

385 posts, read 362,963 times
Quote:

Here are some takeaways

Obviously you did not read the report I linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut