Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,423 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I work in Norwalk and am looking for a 1 BR rental in the surrounding areas.
My budget is low (3 figures) and I'm currently considering a few options i've found: 1. south of south norwalk station, and 2. in noroton heights near herman avenue and west avenue.
I don't have a car but am planning to get a bike or cab it around to begin with. Can you suggest which areas are nicer in terms of walking around and good markets (from the point of eating out, shopping, hanging out once in a while). I am single, late twenties and will be commuting a lot to NYC.
Also, could you suggest how bad is the train noise in these neighborhoods.

Thanks very much for you advice.

Last edited by meavi; 01-30-2012 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Hi meavi,

What exactly did you find in Noroton Heights for that budget? Reason I ask is I'm amazed anything would be available for 3-figures in that town, unless it's senior housing. Do you have any details of what you saw? South Norwalk may have something in your range, but if so it's it's probably in a bad area. They've gentrified certain parts of that SoNo (as some call it) but you've also got Ely Avenue to contend with which is a very rough area you should avoid. Both towns have train spots close by, but the closer you are to a station the more you're likely to pay in rent for a place. Not saying this to discourage you, just that is a VERY expensive place to live.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 01-30-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,423 times
Thanks Mike, I agree i haven't found a lot of options fitting my budget.
I've found 1 bed room shares in a 2 or a 3 bed room house. One is near South Main st and Belle ave in south norwalk area (i know the area north of this location is bad but i can bike or walk southwards to reach my office. I plan to call a cab whenever going to the SoNo station). In Noroton Heights its a 1 Bedroom sublet in a 2 BR apt. (near West ave and Herman ave). Still have to go check it out so can't say if its senior housing. But there are more restraunt, gyms, etc near the noroton heights location.
I'm wondering which of these two areas is safer as i will be walking/ biking a lot to/from my office, and in general which one is a better area to hang out - go for a walk, maybe late at night etc.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Noroton Heights is a much better area. FAR safer. There is no significant amount of crime in Darien. South of train station in SoNo is probably the worst part of Norwalk. As mentioned, the Rudner Court projects on Ely Ave are nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut