Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 AM

13 posts, read 58,850 times

Advertisements

I don't know if you remember me, but I was the one nervous about winters in Guilford. I needn't have worried since I bought a house in Branford. What are winters like there? Just kidding!

I bought the house that used to belong to my Uncle when I visited back in '85. I didn't even know it was for sale because I only considered Guilford. As much as I love Guilford, I couldn't be happier about the house and the location in Branford.

So, my children and I are leaving tomorrow on a very long cross country road trip; hopefully we'll pass our furniture that shipped out yesterday on the way. And hopefully it's in the truck and not the middle of the road.

The current owner of the house is not able to move until the second week of September, so we'll have to stay at a hotel for about a month, but that doesn't really bother me since I want my children to start school at the end of August along with everyone else. (Holy run-on sentence!)

Anyone know of a good family oriented hotel in Branford? I have made a couple of calls to area hotels and when I explained my situation everyone was very accomodating. Just wanted to know if any of you have first hand knowledge of the Branford hotels and/or inns.

I have read a few comments on this board about how aloof and downright unfriendly you nutmeggers can be. I'll have to disagree vehemently as I've met with nothing but kind, accomodating and friendly people. I've already met my new neighbors and nearly all went out of their way to offer their assistance with anything I might need when I move there. But then, that's always been MY experience with the people of Connecticut. Your mileage may vary.

We set out tomorrow at 8 in the morning; we should be there in about 6 days. I can't wait! It was 112 here in Arizona today. Pretty mild by compared to some days. I'll be so happy when I see this house in my rearview mirror for the last time.

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my silly question. Frank (and you know who you are) if you're ever in Branford I really hope you'll let me know and stop by. I'll post again when I'm all settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,041,116 times
Welcome back or is it welcome finally!
Glad you finally are coming- and you found a home for you and your children.

Lodging within Branford is limited to the Holiday Inn Express, The Motel 6
and a non chain rather upscale 'By the Sea Inn and Spa'.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,434,291 times
Branford also has a Best Western off of Leetes Island Rd, but it is kind of dumpy. The Holiday Inn is a better bet, much cleaner/newer looking.

Good luck with your move and welcome to CT!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 AM

35,020 posts, read 57,115,243 times
Airam - I can not believe that you bought your uncle's old home. That is great. I am sure you and your family will be very happy there.
Most of the lodging options in Branford are motel style right off of I-95 which can be a bit noisy. There is the Best Western Stony Creek on Business Park Road (adjacent to I-95); Best Value Inn on East Main Street (Route 1); Days Inn on East Main; and the Holiday Inn Express also on East Main. Nearby in East Haven is the Quality Inn on Frontage Road overlooking I-95 and the Comfort Inn on the Post Road in Guilford. All of these are set up for just a quick night's stay and not for long term. Not sure which ones would be best but usually the Holiday Inn Express is good. Good luck on your move and cross-country trip. Jay

Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 AM

572 posts, read 2,090,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Holiday Inn Express is good.
And if you like sushi, there's an excellent sushi bar across the street. 50% off lunch specials

Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,472 times
Default moving to branford

can somebody suggest how is the comute from branford ct to stamford ct as we are planing to move there because my husband got a job in stamford and does anybody know about pine brook school in branford.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
can somebody suggest how is the comute from branford ct to stamford ct as we are planing to move there because my husband got a job in stamford and does anybody know about pine brook school in branford.
You could take the Shoreline East train from Branford to New haven and then switch to the Stamford train. Often you can get off the Shoreline East train and the Stamford train is right there across the platform. Some Shoreline East trains go to Stamford though. Your husband needs to check the schedule and work out a trains that would work for him.

As for schools, check out the strategic profile from the CT Department of Education. The link is below. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Sorry - I posted the wrong link. Try this one. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 PM

49 posts, read 200,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
hi. I currently commute from branford to stamford 5-6 times a week. it all depends on what shift you work. when I leave at about 7am I get to stamford anywhere between 8 and 8:30am. it depends on how traffic is that day. when I leave at 10am I can usually get there between 10:45 and 11am. weekends aren't bad at all for the most part (barring something like an accident). I don't take the train because I prefer having my car. it's more the gas and wear and tear that bother me about the commute than the traffic itself. no matter when I go I find the worst of the commute is bridgeport (all the way to darien during rush hour). I tend to find traffic in new haven is overrated. I rarely have a problem going through new haven (occasionally long wharf). I lose the most time between bridgeport and darien.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut