Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM

18 posts, read 60,410 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can you please recommended some good kitchen remodeling contractors?

Also some good painter also, we looking to get our exterior painted.

Thanks
Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Where??

Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_73 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Gary
haha. I fired my absolutely incompetent contractor and got this guy who was painting my house under his boss (got his number behind his boss back). He is the BEST Quality to price ratio wood floor, cabinet install and painter guy I've seen in CT. Out of the dozens of people who have worked in my house he came out top marks. There were a few reworks due to some of our miscalculations and he never once grumbled about it.

However, he is still on my kitchen project so I will not give his contacts to let others distract him. After my project is done I will give you his number and pictures of his work. He lives in Danbury.

Last edited by Konig1985; 07-28-2011 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
haha. I fired my absolutely incompetent contractor and got this guy who was painting my house under his boss (got his number behind his boss back).
Shame on you. That's just wrong. And shame on your "contractor" for undermining the person who gave him a job.

Good luck with a guy who's unlicensed and uninsured...there is a reason he can be "cheap", the rest of us have to play by the rules.

Where has honesty and integrity gone these days?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Shame on you. That's just wrong. And shame on your "contractor" for undermining the person who gave him a job.

Good luck with a guy who's unlicensed and uninsured...there is a reason he can be "cheap", the rest of us have to play by the rules.

Where has honesty and integrity gone these days?
Shocking......
https://www.city-data.com/forum/20008114-post44.html

Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 PM

I think there is misunderstanding here: the guy installing my cabinet now is working for the painting company that was painting my house exterior. When the painting company boss came in I asked him go give us a quote to finish the basement floors and stairboards. I accepted their price and this guy did an amazing job doing the stairs, basement floor and painting house exterior. (his boss/friend was jumping around places after the 5th day like all contractors do) Since I need a handyman and he is not a permanent staff of the painting company, I asked him for his number in case I need help in the future.

When they left, douchebag contractor started on my kitchen. Of course I fired him and was looking for alternatives. I called the painting company boss for some leads and he said while he can do it, he had 8 houses in the backlog to paint (including my opposite neighbours) and he does not know any cabinet installers. So I called the guy that actually did most of the work and he said if plumbing has been done then he can do all wood-related work (patching floors, replacing backsplash dry wall which the douchebag contractor refused to do as he deemed it is UNNECESSARY while all other contractors say is MANDATORY). He came in and gave me a very reasonable price and so far I am very happy with his work.

I find out in FFC price for the same work scope differs greatly based on a multitude of factors that has no bearing on the quality of work: the contractor's race, the contractor's town of residence, the contractor's # of years of residence in the county. When I asked for quote on the furnace and AC alone the price I've gotten from 3 different well established companies in FFC (Norwalk, Wilton, Westport) has a $3000 spread (same furnace, same AC). I chose the lowest price and they did even a better job than the mid price bid (wilton) by changing the duct work to accomodate a front flue instead of sticking with rear flue, something that was highly suggested by the highest bid (Westport) but $3000 more expensive.

Please do not assume when someone is price competitive he is unlicensed or illegal. I applied permits for all aspects of the kitchen installation and this guy has $2million insurance coverage. The douchebag contractor had $5million coverage but so what? That did not prevent him from being totally being incompetent and a liar and conducting an illegal act in my house.

A lot of times if a licensed contractor can provide the same quality of service at a lower price simply because they are more competitive. Thats how the market functions.

However, I'd agree with you it is absolutely essential to hire a licensed contractor. I'd never have gotten the douchebag contractor to admit that the plumber has been paid off if his licence was not found in CT department of consumer protection database.

Last edited by Konig1985; 07-30-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 01:36 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I happen to have an awesome/cheap painter from Danbury. Would be ironic if it were the same guy (though very unlikely).

Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 AM

856 posts, read 2,015,379 times
Carson Richard did the bathrooms and kitchen floor in my townhouse and this year the bathrooms in my new house. They've closed the showroom listed on the website but the phone should be accurate. Rich travels all over the state and will give you a free quote.

Carson Richard Kitchen and Bath Design - Home - Berlin, CT

Old 08-22-2011, 06:17 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_73 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Gary
We used Paul Crouse about 3 yrs ago - he did our kitchen (ripped it down to the studs and subfloor, moved plumbing/electrical, changed a few doorways, etc) and then a year later we had him back to do the 2 full baths. He did a great job and was very reasonably priced. It helped that he allowed us to go and buy all the major materials (cabinetry, appliances, granite countertops) ourselves.

I'll DM you his mobile # if you're interested.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
We used Paul Crouse about 3 yrs ago - he did our kitchen (ripped it down to the studs and subfloor, moved plumbing/electrical, changed a few doorways, etc) and then a year later we had him back to do the 2 full baths. He did a great job and was very reasonably priced. It helped that he allowed us to go and buy all the major materials (cabinetry, appliances, granite countertops) ourselves.

I'll DM you his mobile # if you're interested.
I called him but he was too busy to take on our project. It tells me he is a good contractor since he is in demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut