Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM

17 posts, read 62,591 times

Advertisements

Tried searching for similar threads but I kept finding people looking to commute away from New Haven and towards Hartford. I want to learn about the opposite, so I am posting a new thread. Familiar with Hartford traffic (and its many joys) but am clueless to how backed up New Haven and the I-91 corridor get. Story is, I am in South Windsor and bought a house, then lost my job. I've finally found employment but it is in the New Haven area. I don't want to commute there but I can't afford not to take a job there because unemployment doesn't really float my mortgage. I know most of you will say I am crazy for considering such a commute but I don't mind the long drive much and am not too concerned about wear on my car. I am mainly concerned with how long my day will be because I don't want to leave my dog for too long but have no idea what to expect of New Haven traffic. I made it today in about 50 minutes but this was during the middle of the day. It appears I will have a flexible schedule and be able to work at home a day or so some weeks. In addition, 2 days a week I will be doing stuff "offsite" so I will probably be able to work from home, go to the location (which will be a haul itself, granted) in the middle of the day and avoid morning rush and pray for quiet in the afternoon. So really I am looking at 2, maybe 3 "rough" and potentially long days a week.
So my plan is simple, AVOID Hartford: Head down 5 to Route 2, and then take 3 to connect to 91, and do the opposite on the way home. At what point (exit#?) heading down 91 should I expect to start getting backed up, and is it as bad as Hartford or worse? What if I left earlier and wanted to arrive at 7:30 instead of 8 or even a bit later instead? Conversely, how is it leaving New Haven in the evening? And do you see any potential back ups at the 3 interchange or using 2 in those directions AM and PM? The place of business was right off of exit 3 on 91, if that clarifies. Lastly, how valuable is leaving at 4 as compared to 5 in New Haven? I am an individual who would much rather work through lunch and leave early as opposed to leaving late.

Sorry, I know this is a lot of mini-questions as part of a much bigger one, but I want to make sure I understand what I am getting myself into!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM

1,352 posts, read 2,698,359 times
i commuted from M'town to NH a few years ago and i found the traffic on 91 to be pretty clear up until around exit 3 or 4 just before the 95/34 interchange. there is also a bus that goes between Hartford and New Haven that may ease your worry about traffic, times to leave, etc. CT Transit i think has it on their web site..

ct transit

look at #20

Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 AM

35,002 posts, read 57,095,967 times
Your route sounds fine. I am not sure what you will face on route 5 through East Hartford though.

Heading into New Haven should not be a problem. You will hit slow traffic on I-91 southbound begining around Exit 8 but if you stay in the right lane it should keep moving to Exit 3. An option may also be to get off at Exit 4 since it is not far from where you are going. If you made this trip during off peak in 50 minutes, I think you can make it in an hour during normal rush hour once you become familar with the roads.

Coming home you should not have a problem getting out of New Haven. There may be some traffic at Exit 25 to Route 3 but it usually moves. Again I am not sure what you will face on Route 5 in East Hartford.

Keep in mind though that during inclement weather or if there is an accident your travel time will significantly increase. Any thought to moving closer to New Haven? Jay

Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Any thought to moving closer to New Haven? Jay
Jay, Unfortunately I bought my place up hear last spring and then was laid off - So I am stuck and unable to move any closer as I'd have to repay the 1st time home buyer tax credit, other grant money I received, and I obviously haven't built enough equity or seen any rise in value to get back what I've put in. I don't have the $ to sell! (isn't it supposed to be the opposite problem?)

Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 AM

But all in all, it is sounding like NH is a lot less congested then Hartford? I am assuming the hardest part might be navigating one way streets to actually get to 91 and then it is pretty clear sailing?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 AM

21,658 posts, read 31,289,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuyNewCondo View Post
But all in all, it is sounding like NH is a lot less congested then Hartford? I am assuming the hardest part might be navigating one way streets to actually get to 91 and then it is pretty clear sailing?
No, if anything it's the other way around.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, if anything it's the other way around.

So it's worse? JayCT made it sound like I might expect only an extra 10 minutes added to my commute due to traffic. Kidyankee764, how much do you expect I'd have added by congestion?

Also can anyone speak to parking situation? Expensive, garages? Laz?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM

21,658 posts, read 31,289,235 times
Quote:
So it's worse? JayCT made it sound like I might expect only an extra 10 minutes added to my commute due to traffic. Kidyankee764, how much do you expect I'd have added by congestion?

Also can anyone speak to parking situation? Expensive, garages? Laz?
Jay's post about traffic on 91 is accurate, but New Haven in general has a lot more volume than Hartford. Universities, inner-ring suburbs that are more dense, and I-95 (which is one of the busiest highways in the country) all contribute.

I think your commute should be fine, but when comparing overall congestion between New Haven and Hartford, New Haven and the surrounding area is much worse.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM

OK. Am I correct that the most frustrating part might be getting from the office back on to 91? This was the problem I always had in Hartford.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:31 PM

691 posts, read 1,152,473 times
Quote:
OK. Am I correct that the most frustrating part might be getting from the office back on to 91? This was the problem I always had in Hartford.
Yes. You'll face dense city traffic making your way back to the freeway, but once you're on, you should be fine. I-91 south of Hartford has volume, but delays seem rare. As Jay said, you'll cruise to the city line--where volume will significantly pick up due to the I-95 interchange (which is much improved with the addition of a 2nd lane). The section south of the Wilbur Cross is nice and wide and FAST (easy to cruise at 90+ mph...look out for state troopers in the grassy median!). All in all, not a bad commute considering the distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut