Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,626,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
OT - Pay half your mortgage every 2 weeks. You will love the end result. Just make sure they dont put the payment as extra principal during that time. ie: If your mortgage is $3000 a month and its due on the 1st.. $1500 on the 15th and $1500 on the 29th. Make sure the 15th payment is not going all for principal instead it should be applied to the total mortgage you owe for the month. You'll own your house about 10 years sooner.
Really?! We just refinanced down to a 15 yr. Will this still be beneficial? I do want to get us on a bi-weekly plan automatic deduction because even though it's the same, I think I'll just feel more in control. No I can't explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 PM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
This thread has strayed off topic. Please stop bickering and return to the topic of the OP. Jay

Old 02-02-2011, 02:33 PM

543 posts, read 1,902,045 times
Just so you can all rest easy in CT. This is not a problem just in your state. It is pretty much nationwide epidemic.

I live on the opposite coast and it is the same way in most neighborhoods here. There are always exceptions, even in our friendly neighborhood it sometimes depends on what street you live on. It just isn't the same world we grew up in. Sad but true. Here in CA one of the reasons for lack of contact with neighbors is the so called "garage house". Many of the houses here are basically built around the garage, with the two or three car garages being the focal point of the home. I lived in a neighborhood like this years ago and knew only one neighbor. We all drove into our garages, closed the door, and walked straight into the house. The only time spent outside was in the backyard and everyone had a gardener so there was really no reason to be out front.

Thankfully I live in an older area now where most of the garages are detached, except for the new homes that people have built. I met many of my neighbors just going to and from the car, bringing in groceries, getting my kids into the car, etc. The neighborhood I grew up in was more like this neighborhood. Sadly though this area, older and more established, is very expensive to live in. I have been fortunate enough to stay home with my kids but that is changing now that I have two kids in college and lots of tuition to pay. Don't get me wrong, we have always sacrificed for me to stay home...giving up vacations, eating out, babysitters, etc. But until now we have been able to at least pay our bills. Like CT, Southern California is a costly place to live so I am looking for a job as we speak. Even cutting back doesn't do it anymore.
I just want to re assure the OP that many of us feel the same way she/he feels. It is a the sad state of our society these days. No one in particular is to blame, no place is really immune. Just a sign of the times

Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,089,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Maybe in FFC that can happen ...
The odds of finding friendly, outgoing neighbors in FFC are not good.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:58 PM

987 posts, read 1,747,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
the only neighbors we hear from are the ones who want to borrow the Toro, or the Lawn Mower. But barely acknowlegde us when we wave or try to be friendly otherwise.
Sadly thats what its become in today's modern world, as one poster commented, its the fact no ones home during the day anymore. And if you are a stay at home person (a stay home mom and/or adult that works from home), you might be the only one amongst your neighborhood.

Where I have seen the good ole days mentality, is probably at my fathers Senior Citizen home community, everyone there is old, mostly retired, (some old folks actually still work, my dads one), and they are all sorta stuck beign home by themselves, so they come out and tend their gardens (the tiny square foot that they have or desert rock style), walk, or walk their pets, etc....other than complexes like that, it sadly just doesn't exist anymore....

Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,847,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Not true...I have lived in 3 FFC towns and all 3 had very friendly neighbors.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,421,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The cost of daycare alone is a salary. It helps if you have family for that too. Two kids in my wife's center is $3100 a month. We get a 50% discount, but still.

Thats why she initially stopped working. It felt like she was just working so someone else could raise our kids. Ironically now she works out of home teaching online.

But more on topic I guess it might depend where you live. I talk to most of my neighbors all the time. We dont visit each others homes much but we help each other, watch each others stuff, talk when we bring out the garbage or cut the lawn... or this year shovel snow.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
This is so NOT true. I know many friendly neighborhoods in Fairfield County. Jay

Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM

21,636 posts, read 31,242,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is so NOT true. I know many friendly neighborhoods in Fairfield County. Jay
I do too, but not necessarily outgoing.

What I found that if you're nice to a Connectican, they'll be twice as friendly. If you do something rotten to them, expect it back 1,000 fold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut