Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times

Advertisements

My husband volunteered to teach the high school band this year. I've been going to some of their practices and concerts and taking photos and videos. We'd like to move the photos and videos we've taken onto DVDs for them and hand them out this spring / summer when we take them out for an end of year 'congrats you did good' dinner.

Is this something we can do ourselves, or should we look for someone to do it for us? The photos I've got on our computer and can easily move them, but the video is in segments on our video cam and I'm not sure how to move it from the MiniDV (Sony HandyCam) it's on to the computer. If I can figure out how to get it to the computer I can move it to DVD with no problem. Hubby puts tons of stuff on DVD anyway lately.

Also, if we can do it ourselves, is there a program we can load on the computer that would allow us to use different ways to go from photo to photo or video? Like ways to transition from one to the other I guess? Like some will fade out and a new fades in or it will twist and flip as it falls back and a new photo or video clip comes forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
http://multimedia.journalism.berkele...ut/connecting/

Just one of many programs that will do this

Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Well there's a process involved, firstly you need a firewire port on your computer to transfer the video from the camcorder:

It will look like this similar to a USB port:

If you don't have one you can pick up a PCI card for about $15. Easy to install if you don't mind opening the case and plugging it in. If you do have a firewire port you'll most likely have the 6 pin port. The camcorder will most likely have a 4 pin port. If that's the scenario then you would need a 6pin to 4pin cable, whatever the case you match the cable ends to whatever you have. Also not the 4 pin port and cable end closely resembles a small USB port but it's not USB.

From there you can use something like Video Studio which will take you from transfer to authored DVD. You can use that to create a lot of stuff and import images too.

Video-editing software – Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1175714228541 - broken link)

Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
I can move it to DVD with no problem. Hubby puts tons of stuff on DVD anyway lately.
One thing to note is there is a process involved here, you can't simply burn the video to disc and expect it to play. The mini-DV footage for example has such a high data rate they don't even make DVD players that spin fast enough to play it from a disc AFAIK. That's besides the fact your standalone DVD player isn't going to know what it is.

You need to author a disc, Video Studio will do that for you.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Thanks for the info all!!! I'll have hubby take a look at this. He does more burning and stuff on the computer than I do, so I think he'll have to show me how to do it. My experience ends at uploading photos!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
If you still have the manual for your camera, you should read that, and probably will find all you need in there.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,923 times
To transfer video from a Mini DV to DVD, You'll need the following things:

[URL="http://www.dvd-creators.net/camcorder-to-dvd/mini-dv-to-dvd.html"]Transfer and convert Mini DV camcorder to DVD for Windows and Mac[/URL][LIST=1][*]a miniDV Camcorder.[*]a PC with IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port, running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, enough free hard disk space.[*]an IEEE 1394 cable.[*]DVD Creator software[/LIST]http://www.dvd-creators.net/camcorde...o-computer.jpg

And to burn photos to DV, You can use a Photo slideshow Maker software to make DVD movie from Photos
[URL="http://www.dvd-creators.net/camcorder-to-dvd/make-dvd-from-photos.html"]Make DVD from digital photos, create a DVD Photo Slideshow from stock photography[/URL]

Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
While the post above is advertising I must admit there is some good info on that site. I do, however, have a problem with someone that apparently owns (?) such a site not being able to correctly post a URL.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
^^ My bad. I forgot you can't post a "real" link until you've posted 10 times. ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers