Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM

110 posts, read 248,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You're doing something horribly wrong. Most people are smart enough not to infect themselves 4 times in a week.
Best websites rank pages high by google got me.The internet highways are still decades away before we can see any real progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,553,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preferentialtreatment View Post
Best websites rank pages high by google got me.The internet highways are still decades away before we can see any real progress.
But most likely you're using Internet Explorer, probably an old one, and clicked on some stupid popup. Don't use IE and don't click on popups and you won't get infected.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 09-29-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM

5,067 posts, read 10,161,975 times
Yeah, also ads in email, as well as ecards. Some ecard sites are OK, others aren't.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,821,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That comment puts Computer Co-op in a bad light, no one here will recommend Geek Squad for computer repair.
Thanks for telling me! I'd heard they were great. And I was about to send the Geeks to help an elderly friend in the Pacific Northwest, so you probably saved us a great deal of tsouris. So we go to Plan B, where I buy a new computer thru the Co-Op, have them load it with goodies, and ship it to my friend.

Thanks again, for the warning!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,239,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My wife was using our computer this weekend and somehow she downloaded a virus. Our PC has become infected with various trojan viruses. We have Mcafee virus scan software and I regularly use spybot and ad-aware to check for spyware. None of this has helped. We keep getting warning windows popping up (from our McAfee software) for a "Fake-alert" trojan, "Vundo.gen.bp" trojan, and "Downloader-BVU" trojan.

Fixing this is beyond my capabilities. At this point I can't even get virus scan to run on my PC and it will no longer connect to the internet (I'm using a neighbor's laptop to post this). I can't even start my PC "Safe Mode".

Any tips on what I can do to fix this problem? I am at the point where I think I need to pay somebody to come to my house to fix this.
First of all when you are trying to start your computer in safe mode. It will appear to hang most likely after loading mupsys.dll. If this happens, walk away for your computer for at least 15 minutes and see if it doesn't eventually boot up in safe mode.

Before this happens, however, go to your friends computer and download combofix.exe (when you download it you MUST RENAME IT SOMETHING ELSE) so that the virus does not recognize it. Most people recommend combo-fix.exe. BUt it to a cd and when you finally get the computer up in Safemode, run the program from the cd you burned.

It will quarentine many of the files in your computer and some of your programs may not be operational, but it's better than having a bad virus in your machine.

Best of luck

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM

16,768 posts, read 15,834,262 times
It's been over 2 weeks since this question was posed, both here and in the Raleigh forum. After many suggestions were offered on both forums, including several to reformat, no reply from the OP has been made. We have no idea if further suggestions are needed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-06-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: huh?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM

43,540 posts, read 77,601,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's been over 2 weeks since this question was posed, both here and in the Raleigh forum. After many suggestions were offered on both forums, including several to reformat, no reply from the OP has been made. We have no idea if further suggestions are needed.
NRG is back up and running.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,360,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Thanks for the input everybody. I am not savy enough for several of the insightful recommendations made here. Ultimately I had to take my PC to a local outfit here in Raleigh that specializes in fixing virus problems. They removed my harddrive and successfully removed all the virus malware garbage. I now have my PC back and it is up and running.

Right now I am still using McAfee, Spybot, and Adaware running dialy scans. However, I am looking into the other recommendations made here (Like AVG). In the meantime I am looking into ways to maintain backups of all my files so I don't run the risk of losing everything in the future.

Again, thanks for all the great information!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,091,855 times
Mcafee does need to go, malwarebytes needs to be added. I've moved away from adaware, and spybot has gotten really slow doing scans in the newer versions.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,788,918 times
Also for those of you who say you need to click on ads to get infected, no. All you have to do is visit a website that runs ads with malicious scripts. And yes, you can have reputable websites populated with these malicious ads, some sites just don't screen their advertisers and only see $$. In general, most people have scripts and ads automatically run when they visit a site. That's why I recommend (if you use Firefox) to use NoScript and AdBlock. It's unfortunate you have to do all these things just to surf, but that's just the reality of what's on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers