Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,195 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell XPS One all-in-one pc that is now about a year old with Vista installed. The unit does have its pros and cons. It has proven trouble free and performs very good. The monitor/CPU is heavy weighing in at about 35-40 pounds. The keyboard that comes with the unit is lacking the number keys (which I do not like), which is found on the left side of a typical keyboard. This Dell unit performs well with all programs that I use, except the higher graphic games. It does have a great HD widescreen monitor which I do like. Another plus is that it is a great saver on desk space. The keyboard and mouse are both wireless and battery replacement is required.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
I wouldn't touch one of these. If I didn't want a conventional desktop/tower, I would get a nice laptop with a 17 inch screen.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I seriously went to look at one. Notwithstanding the price which did make me sweat a little, (I'm looking for something around $600), the learning curve was just too oppressive. I am an old DOS girl, and you wouldn't believe the amount of things I choose to do from the c:> command prompt. Not having that option with Mac would make me break out in a cold sweat, for sure.When you buy price you never get long term value. Never. A Mac is so easy to learn that even my 86 yr old aunt learned how to use the one we gave her and now loves it!

Besides, there are so many MORE programs out there for PC than for Mac. Granted, there is probably something that compares to every possible PC program available, but I don't want to have to go hunting for it.Just how many programs do you think you need? Every Mac comes with a full complement of useful programs with many add ons free off the net. Really special programs cost more but for Mac there is no need for 6 zillion choices to get the job done.

Besides, I am told that Windows 7 is the closest thing to the Mac interface yet, with the floating task bar and all.Why in the world buy something that is "the closest thing to the Mac interface yet" when you can buy the real thing? One point seldom talked about is that a Mac is rock solid needing few repairs over it's very,very very long life span. Now that's real world value for sure.

20yrsinBranson
See comments in blue above.

Oh yes, you can stop trying to talk yourself out of buying a Mac now and spend the time enjoying one. There is a reason that PC use Mac's graphic interface and try so hard to be like a Mac!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Then you haven't talked to someone that actually knew what they were doing, replacing a hinge is a trivial repair.
Where I live the selection of repair men are seriously limited. Unfortuntely. I agree it should be an very easy fix. I guess my frustration in dealing with people in general sometimes makes it more trouble than it is worth. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I wouldn't touch one of these. If I didn't want a conventional desktop/tower, I would get a nice laptop with a 17 inch screen.
I think I have one of those (maybe two). I have worn the letters off the keys. That is so annoying. At least with an AIO, I can switch out the keyboard when that happens.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
I think I have one of those (maybe two). I have worn the letters off the keys. That is so annoying. At least with an AIO, I can switch out the keyboard when that happens.

20yrsinBranson
In reality, laptop keyboards are no more expensive to replace and a simple process. If a keyboard fails under warranty, the vendor will send a replacement and instructions how to change.

Plus you always have the option of using an external keyboard and mouse with laptops at any point.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
I seriously went to look at one. Notwithstanding the price which did make me sweat a little, (I'm looking for something around $600), the learning curve was just too oppressive. I am an old DOS girl, and you wouldn't believe the amount of things I choose to do from the c:> command prompt. Not having that option with Mac would make me break out in a cold sweat, for sure.

Besides, there are so many MORE programs out there for PC than for Mac. Granted, there is probably something that compares to every possible PC program available, but I don't want to have to go hunting for it.

Besides, I am told that Windows 7 is the closest thing to the Mac interface yet, with the floating task bar and all.

20yrsinBranson
Mac's OS is Unix based... so you can do all the CLI you want (just need to learn the cmds). And Unix command lines are much more powerful ;-).

Can't argue the selection of software though (especially if we're talking about specific business solutions).

I think any new interface takes a bit to learn... but when you force yourself, you'll get it quickly (you have no choice!!).

But in terms of having something near portable, but having a larger screen... I have a 15 laptop connected to a 24" monitor. So when I'm home, I have dual monitors... with a full external keyboard. When I'm traveling, I have my laptop. So basically best of both worlds...sort of. You'll end up spending a bit more though since you are buying an extra monitor.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,121 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Keyboards on laptops are very easy to replace. I had a key break off, ordered a new one, and put it in myself and I am very non mechanical!

It really sounds like you just need another laptop. Those all in ones are not portable at all. I did notice when I was shopping that some of the companies had trade in options for you old laptop.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,189 times
When I read the original post regarding an All-in-one, the first thing that came to mind was the I-Mac. While I don't have one myself, I've used the Sony, HP and the IMac at friend's homes. Cost aside, I think the I-Mac does have the best execution of this form factor for now.

Except maybe for this: Victorian All-in-One PC | The Steampunk Workshop .

I'd like to try to build this one for myself.

As an aside, regarding the previous posts (below), it's interesting how both Knoxgarden and Tightwad both recommended the I-Mac, yet only one was branded a "fanboy".

Since the OP did not ask for a specific platform, they both gave legitimate recommendations. I'm guessing that tightwad "came on too strong" in his recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
All-in-one is PCs answer to I-Mac.
If that's what you want, I'd go with the I-mac with the Intel chip. I don't usually recommend Macs, but they do that format well.
iMac - Apple Store (U.S.)
If that's too pricey, I'd go with the Lenovo, which is the IBM laptop division.
Lenovo - Desktop computers - IdeaCentre A Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
When it comes to "all-in-one" computers there is only one that is the real deal.....Apple's imac computer. Everything is a bad second rate copy of a brilliant Apple idea.

So by a Mac imac and never look back "cause you'll never have to!

P.S. Check out Apple's refurbished imacs at the online store to save a bundle of money on an imac with a full apple warranty same as new.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,439 times
off-topic (Mac vs. PC and fanboy) posts have been deleted. Thread has been closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers