Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The other day my computer got infected or was infected with a Trojan. I could not scan it out....so I put it in quarantine(it would NOT delete) and rebooted...Windows would not start.....Damaged or missing data.......it performed self repair and started....

Tried to scan again...reboot again and same thing..."Windows" damaged or missing. Finally I was able to quarantine and delete the Trojan....and I ran scan/check disc twice and set it to repair etc.

The computer is working fine now....but right at the end of my "quick" spyware scan.....you can read the computer code.....it "says"...sorry, I'm not too savy with this......\\replace\wdc\windows.exc..... that's not exactly it but that seems funny to me.

Should I be worrierd; since the Trojan seemed to damage "windows" initially????
Oppps!!! I spelled "worried" wrong...LOL. All is now fine in computerville...problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,590 times
Default When I want to quote,

part of a paragraph,in a C/D post, how do I drag, copy, and paste it. Please be very explicit. thank you,

Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
part of a paragraph,in a C/D post, how do I drag, copy, and paste it. Please be very explicit. thank you,
If you click on the Quote button, the entire previous message should be presented to you at the top of the message edit box and surrounded by [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] indicators surrounded by brackets.

Remove the parts you don't want to keep.

Use the "Preview Post" button instead of the "Submit Reply" button to make sure it looks like you think it should. When everything is good, hit "Submit Reply".

If you're talking about parts of various messages, you can surround any text with [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] to make it look quoted:

Quote:
Like this.
I hope that's what you're asking.

The precise mechanism to use for copying text in a browser will be determined somewhat by the browser you are using and the OS or desktop you're using. In Firefox under Windows XP, I simply highlight text and hit Control-C to copy, then Control-V to paste.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If you click on the Quote button, the entire previous message should be presented to you at the top of the message edit box and surrounded by [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] indicators surrounded by brackets.

Remove the parts you don't want to keep.

Use the "Preview Post" button instead of the "Submit Reply" button to make sure it looks like you think it should. When everything is good, hit "Submit Reply".

If you're talking about parts of various messages, you can surround any text with [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] to make it look quoted:

I hope that's what you're asking.

The precise mechanism to use for copying text in a browser will be determined somewhat by the browser you are using and the OS or desktop you're using. In Firefox under Windows XP, I simply highlight text and hit Control-C to copy, then Control-V to paste.
Don't forget to use ellipsis (...) when removing parts of someones quote.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Don't forget to use ellipsis (...) when removing parts of someones quote.
I only tend to do that sort of thing if I use a portion of someone's sentence or paragraph.

If I'm quoting an entire paragraph from a multi-paragraph message, I generally won't bother unless the paragraphs above a/o below are tightly related or are otherwise intertwined. People can always go back to the original posting if they want complete context.

Life was so much easier in the BBS/USENET days when one could easily intersperse comments and keep multiple levels around.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DulceJ View Post
can someone help me

I have windows xp

and I am getting a message that says

microsoft visual c runtime error

thank you
I know this post is a couple months old, but I will answer anyway. Try resetting Internet Explorer.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
When I click on a video on CD, it continuously starts and stops...sometimes for several seconds. Sort of like it's rewinding or something. If I go though the icon on a CD vid to get to You Tube, the same thing happens. And sometimes it just doesn't play at all.

I recently upgraded to the highest speed the server has (Clear). Does anyone know what's going on? This is fairly recent, maybe the last months or so.

Is there anything I could do to correct it?

Thanks ~

Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
When I click on a video on CD, it continuously starts and stops...sometimes for several seconds. Sort of like it's rewinding or something. If I go though the icon on a CD vid to get to You Tube, the same thing happens. And sometimes it just doesn't play at all.

I recently upgraded to the highest speed the server has (Clear). Does anyone know what's going on? This is fairly recent, maybe the last months or so.

Is there anything I could do to correct it?

Thanks ~
Sounds like you're having streaming video problems (hesitating while its downloading the video). Try this program:

Get the help and support you need for SpeedBit Video Accelerator

Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,982 times
We bought our son a nice HP last year for Christmas. I didn't set an administrator password, and it was great for a few months until one of our son's friends decided we needed an administrator password and now can't remember it. I can't remove software or add software. I downloaded a program from the internet that allegedly cracked the password with no luck. I can't even do a system restore.

The computer didn't come with a system restore disk--it's on the computer, but I can't access it because of that password. Do I have to reformat the computer?

It came with Windows Vista, but I a Windows XP program and Word 2007 Student Edition program. I don't have drivers, but I don't have a printer hooked up to that computer, so I think I would only need the sound driver(s)(?).

Thanks very much.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
We bought our son a nice HP last year for Christmas. I didn't set an administrator password, and it was great for a few months until one of our son's friends decided we needed an administrator password and now can't remember it. I can't remove software or add software. I downloaded a program from the internet that allegedly cracked the password with no luck. I can't even do a system restore.

The computer didn't come with a system restore disk--it's on the computer, but I can't access it because of that password. Do I have to reformat the computer?

It came with Windows Vista, but I a Windows XP program and Word 2007 Student Edition program. I don't have drivers, but I don't have a printer hooked up to that computer, so I think I would only need the sound driver(s)(?).

Thanks very much.
I will go looking for the program I use that allows me to reset any password on the system. You have to boot from a CD, but it's done the job every time I've used it!

I'll be heading up there later today and I'll dig it out and hunt down the site where I downloaded it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers