Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 AM

652 posts, read 1,786,742 times

Advertisements

I'll have to work at copying what I want to save. Then I need to know how to take possession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM

16,705 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Simply copy everything off to another location and then reformat the drive.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,015,620 times
You may need to take ownership of the files.

Take Ownership of file - Vista Forums

Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM

Just to be sure. I right click on the drive in my computer and select Format? I'm pretty sure that is correct but do I need any OS other software at the ready? I have an old recovery disc from about two weeks prior to the replacement.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Just to be sure. I right click on the drive in my computer and select Format? I'm pretty sure that is correct but do I need any OS other software at the ready? I have an old recovery disc from about two weeks prior to the replacement.
Don't format unless you want to wipe the drive clean.
Take possession. See how that works.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM

NHDave I didn't see that before I posted. I used this page Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums and I still get the same error message. I've taken ownership right down to specific documents and still cannot modify them.
Now what?

It just occured to me that my new system is x64 and the old is x32 That probably has a lot to do with it.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,015,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
NHDave I didn't see that before I posted. I used this page Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums and I still get the same error message. I've taken ownership right down to specific documents and still cannot modify them.
Now what?

It just occured to me that my new system is x64 and the old is x32 That probably has a lot to do with it.
Actually it shouldn't. What version of Office is on the new computer? It's not a 2007 trial version is it?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM

No, it accepted my Office 2000 professional. The bloatware was removed when I bought it at BB. I only use Word I never did get to using that other stuff even in the school that recomended I get it.

I always thought w/o ever knowing for certain that an External HD would run just as it did in the unit it came from. How does one set slave/master on an external?

Last edited by nutleynut; 06-04-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 02:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,778,755 times
Mensaguy, First if there is a password on the login, it protects all the My's(documents and settings). So if the hdd is pulled it will make all of the files either Read Only or worse make the directories come up as empty in an external enclosure or slaved into a desktop. If this is the case then the hard drive needs to be loaded into another PC on the same platform (PATA or SATA) and brought up in Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode you would need to go into Users and remove all boot up passwords. Once this is done then all the files will be corrected in the registry to be Read/Write. As to your second question what does SATA have in common with USB (Hint: What does the "S" stand for?)? The answer is Serial. In this case all items are Master (if you open a sata desktop, each item has its own cable and nothing is daisy chained). In the case of PATA HDDs you are converting the device from parallel to serial. The higher end mobos will autosense it and thus there would be in difference between CS & MA. Most of the retail unit mobos are low-mid end thus it may not see the HDD jumpered to CS, but will definitely see it set to MA.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Default Possible Solution

Right click on drive
click on properties
Click on security
click on advance
click on edit
choose owner tab
Choose your name in the Change owner too box and click on the little box in the lower left corner. I forget what it says exactly but it mentions changing the permissions.

It takes a while to go thru all the files and folders, mine is still running I started a few minutes ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers