Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,022,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Now that is nit picking to an extreme. Bored today?
Not nit picking at all, that's a key piece of information, a good indication that the OS is not in a stable state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The other day I had to do a wipe/reinstall of Windows Professional and the disk that I had did not have SP2. Everything was working fine and then I decided to install SP2. The problem is that just before the installation was complete the electricity went off and now when I try to boot up the computer it will not boot.

When I go into save mode, it hangs up at mup.sys, so I am thinking that the file was corrupted when the lights went out.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this without reinstalling windows AGAIN???? Somebody help please!!

Thanks

20yrsinBranson
You didn't mention if you have irreplaceable data stored on the OS disk (personal photos for example) but from the context of this post, it sounds like you don't.

If you do have personal data on it, you probably can interface it to another computer as a data drive and retrieve your data.

If you don't have anything worth saving, then I would reformat the hard drive and start from scratch. (I noticed the first response on this thread was almost five hours after the original post. You could have had windows completely installed and all the updates loaded by then.)

Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not nit picking at all, that's a key piece of information, a good indication that the OS is not in a stable state.
Not key at all. The critical information here is that Windows won't run. Everything else is secondary to that fact. The point during the installation at which the power went out doesn't mean squat if the result is no Windows. You either spend a ton of time trouble shooting or start over.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Not key at all. The critical information here is that Windows won't run. Everything else is secondary to that fact. The point during the installation at which the power went out doesn't mean squat if the result is no Windows. You either spend a ton of time trouble shooting or start over.
Entirely your opinion, it is most definetly key to the situation, contrary to popular belief a format and reload is not the answer to every corrupt OS issue.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Entirely your opinion, it is most definetly key to the situation, contrary to popular belief a format and reload is not the answer to every corrupt OS issue.
Never said it was. Never will. Bad assumption on your part. Please don't put words in my mouth.

And, no it is not key at all. It might be if there was a ton of data on the drive that needed recovery, but this is already a fresh reinstall that simply went bad. The only concern related to getting back on track is making Windows run and spending countless hours trying to figure what file or files are corrupted or missing is simply asinine. If this was a techie wanting to dig into it for future reference or just the joy of figuring it out, that's one thing, but this is simply someone who wants Windows to run again. I would think they really don't care about any of that.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
but this is simply someone who wants Windows to run again. I would think they really don't care about any of that.
I'll concede that point

Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Mup.sys is not the culprit. It's whatever file loads right after it. If it didn't load correctly it wouldn't be displayed.

Once upon a time I found a site that listed the files in order of loading so you could track down what failed. Once you know this you can extract the file from the CD. As usual I cannot find the site now. If I do I'll post it.

Have you tried Recovery Console from a Windows CD start? If the corrupted file(s) are Windows files (not SP2) then it should fix the problem. If not you are no worse off than you are now, which is reinstalling from the git go.
Correct, from what I remember of this, it's the Nvidia driver package (on my systems anyway)

Quote:
Wow, talk about bad information. Do you actually believe that chkdsk is some magical tool that will fix every corrupt OS issue? There's pretty much no way, assuming for a minute that the hardware is good and only the OS is messed up, that chkdsk is going to get Windows going again after the rug was pulled out from under it in the middle of a service pack installation.
I've actually had good luck slaving the drive then running check disk repair. It all depends on how it happened, and IMO, might be worth to try.
In this case, the OP is probably screwed and has to reinstall windows.
Everything depends on how knowledgeable she is and what type of OS disk she has. Most people buy branded computers and don't have the luxury of having an OS disk; if he did, he could probably pop it in and repair windows.. the repair not using the recovery console.

This is why I buy Gigabyte boards. Instead of screwing around with things and reinstalling, I hit F9 and am back up to a clean install that is windows updated, firefox, office and my photo programs. I can back up 30 gigs of data.

Slaving the drive will at least give him the option to back up what he needs.

Either way I guess it doesn't matter as he has not been back to post.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've actually had good luck slaving the drive then running check disk repair. It all depends on how it happened, and IMO, might be worth to try.
In this case, the OP is probably screwed and has to reinstall windows.
Everything depends on how knowledgeable she is and what type of OS disk she has. Most people buy branded computers and don't have the luxury of having an OS disk; if he did, he could probably pop it in and repair windows.. the repair not using the recovery console.

This is why I buy Gigabyte boards. Instead of screwing around with things and reinstalling, I hit F9 and am back up to a clean install that is windows updated, firefox, office and my photo programs. I can back up 30 gigs of data.

Slaving the drive will at least give him the option to back up what he needs.

Either way I guess it doesn't matter as he has not been back to post.
I'll agree chkdsk is a great tool and can take care of many issues, but a power off in the middle of a service pack installation isn't something I'd expect it to be able to fix.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
I'll agree chkdsk is a great tool and can take care of many issues, but a power off in the middle of a service pack installation isn't something I'd expect it to be able to fix.
Me either but what does she have to lose? It's just time spent.

I've had weird things happen; it's usually the 1st thing I do.
If it works, cool, if not I move on.

I've never had power go out while updating, but I have had it stall on mup.sys and some times checkdisk/fix will fix it.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM

All this brings me back to something I pound into all my clients heads. UPS, UPS, UPS. Buy one, use it, replace it when necessary.

If 20yrs had one installed this entire thread would not be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers