Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,610,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think the first question you need to ask yourself is "Do I have a reason to justify buying Vista?". The answer to that for most people is no.

Those who might answer yes are Gamers and people with a need for the latest applications and hardware that only has Vista support.
He's talking about buying a new PC. The default OS today is Vista64 and it's pretty much impossible to buy a machine that won't run it decently. There's zero reason for an individual user to go out of their way to stick with XP when buying a new PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM

37,756 posts, read 61,997,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think the first question you need to ask yourself is "Do I have a reason to justify buying Vista?". The answer to that for most people is no.
I agree.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,512,532 times
Well for me, my older computers were beyond repair. I have 64 bit Vista and it's okay. Some of my apps will not work on 64 bit vista, though. Such as photoshop or some of the SCP utilities I used to use. I got a command line replacement for scp, but I totally refuse to pay for a new photoshop. So compatibility may be an issue. It has interesting graphical tricks, but I had an issue with the security when transferring some files. I think mine may run faster, and I suspect that the OS requires a lot of memory and CPU because of all of the cute graphical things that it does. I hate the new file explorer, but Microsoft screws with that with every iteration of windows, so windows 7 may be even worse. There may be a way to revert back to "classic," but I don't know. I would say I hated Vista on my husbands laptop, but mine has grown on me. I have a feeling that more software companies will wait to make their products compatible w/ windows 7, so if you have a lot of software that you use, check out their websites to make sure they have Vista-compatible versions before you upgrade.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,343,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
He's talking about buying a new PC. The default OS today is Vista64 and it's pretty much impossible to buy a machine that won't run it decently. There's zero reason for an individual user to go out of their way to stick with XP when buying a new PC.
I agree. Absolutely no reason to upgrade to Vista on OLD hardware, but when purchasing a new high end system I can't believe so many people still go through the trouble of downgrading to XP when their hardware will have absolutely no problem with Vista. XP is eight years old now and it's time to start looking beyond it unless you have a real reason to stick with it. If you have 4GB of RAM or more, you're stupid to downgrade to XP. Just get Vista and then download PC Decrapifier to get rid of most of the trial software, then use a good registry cleaner to get rid of it's traces and then your computer will run like a dream.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:14 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,141,549 times
Thanks for the feedback. Of my 3 work computers, 2 home office and two laptops, one laptop is a Vista machine that's about 2 years old now. I mainly use it when I travel and since all I really do is open a browser and check email, I haven't really had any trouble, but I had just remembered being told that for networked desktops to avoid mixing XP and Vista and that vista had problems working with printers, older software, etc.

I've emailed one of my software providers (proprietary property management software) to ask if there are still problems with Vista (there were 2 years ago). If not, I'll probably go ahead and buy a new vista machine.

Steve

Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,969,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Of my 3 work computers, 2 home office and two laptops, one laptop is a Vista machine that's about 2 years old now. I mainly use it when I travel and since all I really do is open a browser and check email, I haven't really had any trouble, but I had just remembered being told that for networked desktops to avoid mixing XP and Vista and that vista had problems working with printers, older software, etc.

I've emailed one of my software providers (proprietary property management software) to ask if there are still problems with Vista (there were 2 years ago). If not, I'll probably go ahead and buy a new vista machine.

Steve
I'm mixing them all across a network with little or no problems. Most I've had are minor and require a little research to resolve.

3 XP desktops (1 Pro), soon to be 4 as I'm going to reuse an old PC as a server, 1 XP laptop, 1 Vista Home Premium 64 laptop, one desktop that runs, depending on the need for clients, etc, either XP, Vista Ultimate, or Windows 7.

Everybody is happy.

Old hardware can present a problem if the vendor has not written drivers. Check on their websites to see if they do. Don't surprised if some printers, etc work with Vista even without an updated driver. I have a client that uses an HP 952c printer and it installed in Vista even though there is, supposedly, no updated driver available. I would not expect the same result, however, with a multi-function printer.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:33 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,413,136 times
I'm still using XP because I have some old applications that have mega problems with running on Vista...if you don't have any old software apps you should be OK.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,796,946 times
People - what you do is make a custom built computer WITH MULTIPLE HARD DRIVES AND 2 OR MORE OPERATING SYSTEMS. Get a Kingwin removable hard drive tray and use 1 HD for XP Pro and 1 HD for Vista 64 and you're all set!

Welcome to www.Kingwin.com: Mobile Rack Trays

Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,969,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
People - what you do is make a custom built computer WITH MULTIPLE HARD DRIVES AND 2 OR MORE OPERATING SYSTEMS. Get a Kingwin removable hard drive tray and use 1 HD for XP Pro and 1 HD for Vista 64 and you're all set!

Welcome to www.Kingwin.com: Mobile Rack Trays

The PC I have XP, Vista Ultimate, and Win7 on has three drives in the internal bay. I just slide the side off, switch cable position and reboot.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,570,822 times
I am not a computer whiz but I have never had a hard time learning new programs and new operating systems UNTIL NOW.

It seems like things have been changed around for change sake and not necessarily ALWAYS to make things work better.

I miss XP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers