Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You did the right thing

People who discourage Norton have no idea what they are talking about or the seriousness/technical depth of some of the viruses/spyware around.
Yes, installing a protection suite is the right thing, taking a proactive step to protect their system, NONE of them are perfect. To criticize someone for choosing a different product than you prefer sure smites of the old and irrelevant 'Ford vs. Chevrolet' argument. Do you also criticize someone that drives a different make of vehicle than your personal choice.

The #1 threat to a computer is the user. #2 is scripts and activex running on webpages. An excellent solution for the #2 threat is FireFox with NoScript Add-on. That said, that is my solution, no one has the right to criticize it, and I won't criticize your approach to keeping unknown scripts from running on your system when you visit different sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Trying to keep this on topic and away from personal comments, I still want to add one point that I think is important. Norton products cost money. There are other products out there that can protect a PC for free, although it may require a bit more effort. I like free.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, installing a protection suite is the right thing, taking a proactive step to protect their system, NONE of them are perfect. To criticize someone for choosing a different product than you prefer sure smites of the old and irrelevant 'Ford vs. Chevrolet' argument. Do you also criticize someone that drives a different make of vehicle than your personal choice.

The #1 threat to a computer is the user. #2 is scripts and activex running on webpages. An excellent solution for the #2 threat is FireFox with NoScript Add-on. That said, that is my solution, no one has the right to criticize it, and I won't criticize your approach to keeping unknown scripts from running on your system when you visit different sites.
It was not my intention to personally vilify someone, mate. But I thought I would recommend staying afloat in a ship rather than rafting around just coz it's easy to navigate. Watch out for storms, the rafts get wrecked faster

Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Trying to keep this on topic and away from personal comments, I still want to add one point that I think is important. Norton products cost money. There are other products out there that can protect a PC for free, although it may require a bit more effort. I like free.

I agree and often recommend free software to those who don't want to, or can't afford to, buy the software.

I still like ZoneAlarm, AVG, AdAware, and Malwarebytes. There are others, but those seem to all do a good job.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I was going to ignore this. The personal slights I don't care about. Your opinion isn't important.

What does bother me is the fact that you came to a forum where others are looking for help and gave out an opinion about Norton 2009, which is what this series of posts has been talking about. The opinion you gave is blatantly incorrect in reference to the new version of Norton products and does a disservice to anyone looking for help with a decision about this version of Norton.

I agree with you that earlier version were horrendous and I am one who warned everyone to stay away from their products. They were garbage that did little more than bring any PC they were installed on to a slow grinding halt.

If you had made a reference to earlier versions of the product in your initial post I would have passed right by it. But you didn't. You gave the impression that this version is bloatware.

The difference here is that I took the time to read reviews by others then based on those reviews I installed Norton NIS 2009 and tested it. On three computers.

You, on the other hand, and by your own admission, haven't made any effort to do the same.

My opinion is never the only one, but again by your own admission yours is. That opinion would be that Norton products are all bloatware and should never be put on a computer, no matter the version or any reviews by industry experts.

You will find that I have recommended many other products on this forum both free and fee-based. All of which I have personally tested or used. If I haven't done any testing I will either not comment or provide link(s) to sites that pertain to the product in question.

BTW, I have owned both Chevy and Ford products. Neither was any better than the other.

Quote:
And that is nothing more than your opinion. You know nothing about me, and as such you have no basis to judge my selection of software, based on your 'shtick' of berating and belittling those that don't assume your opinion is the only valid one.

Sounds like you have resorted to the same arguments of the Ford vs. Chevrolet crowd. Trust me, I am missing nothing by the fact that Norton is not sunk it tentacles into my system, thank you very much. You are free to choose which ever software you want, but the freedom does not include the right to belittle or criticize my choice not to install your 'favorite', based on my history with Norton. Perhaps it is no as bloated, but I doubt it is any better than many of it competitors.

The mentality of the company was to turn out bloatware with the assumption the masses don't know any better, shame on them, and that sir is why I will not run, nor recommend Norton, corporate agenda based on years of cranking out a bloated mediocre product.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Dang dude all I said was

Quote:
Nor will I, it has a long history of being resource hogging bloatware, and no better than (if as good) as many other options.
and the next thing I know I could have been spray painting lies about your sister or mother on the side of the county courthouse, or worse.

Now please feel free to correct me where I may have made an inaccurate statement, or does Norton in fact have a long history of being bloatware, and can anyone realistically claim that it is any better than any of the other security suite software offerings?

Oh wait, you pretty much substantiate my points below.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I was going to ignore this. The personal slights I don't care about. Your opinion isn't important.

What does bother me is the fact that you came to a forum where others are looking for help and gave out an opinion about Norton 2009, which is what this series of posts has been talking about. The opinion you gave is blatantly incorrect in reference to the new version of Norton products and does a disservice to anyone looking for help with a decision about this version of Norton.

I agree with you that earlier version were horrendous and I am one who warned everyone to stay away from their products. They were garbage that did little more than bring any PC they were installed on to a slow grinding halt.

If you had made a reference to earlier versions of the product in your initial post I would have passed right by it. But you didn't. You gave the impression that this version is bloatware.

The difference here is that I took the time to read reviews by others then based on those reviews I installed Norton NIS 2009 and tested it. On three computers.

You, on the other hand, and by your own admission, haven't made any effort to do the same.

My opinion is never the only one, but again by your own admission yours is. That opinion would be that Norton products are all bloatware and should never be put on a computer, no matter the version or any reviews by industry experts.

You will find that I have recommended many other products on this forum both free and fee-based. All of which I have personally tested or used. If I haven't done any testing I will either not comment or provide link(s) to sites that pertain to the product in question.

BTW, I have owned both Chevy and Ford products. Neither was any better than the other.
and here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I agree and often recommend free software to those who don't want to, or can't afford to, buy the software.

I still like ZoneAlarm, AVG, AdAware, and Malwarebytes. There are others, but those seem to all do a good job.
And no where did I say the current version was bloatware.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
In my humble opinion, Norton Antivirus sucks. It's a resource hog and makes your computer run like a snail.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
In my humble opinion, Norton Antivirus sucks. It's a resource hog and makes your computer run like a snail.
If TekFreek says the new version is leaner and meaner, I'd take his word for it, and even recommend it to other people if they want to buy one.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
If TekFreek says the new version is leaner and meaner, I'd take his word for it, and even recommend it to other people if they want to buy one.
Why do so when Avast does such a good job for me? It's free, and my computer has been virus free ever since I've installed the program.

Don't fix it if it's not broken!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Ruh row standby to be smitten for having an a negative opinion about Norton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers