Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times

Advertisements

What program(s) should I be replacing it with and can I do it for FREE??? I will use Filehippo for whatever you recommend !

Note: Please advise with dial-up service in mind ! TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I would strongly suggest first removing Norton, anti-virus programs do not play nice together.

I use AVG: AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista

I've heard good things about Avast but haven't installed it on any machines yet: Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
I also use AVG and hear good reports from people who use Avast. When you uninstall Norton, you will need to do a reboot, then uninstall LiveRegistration and LiveUpdate. You can find them in Add/Remove programs. Then you can install a free virus scanner.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,747 times
I can personally recommend Avira Antivirus.

I used to use AVG, but one of the tutors running the course I am on did an effectiveness test of major antivirus programs, and AVG came out very low in the test, with Avira coming out top.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I have used Avast for years and love it! Nortons was a nightmare, constant problems.. No problems at all with Avast and it catched things BEFORE it gets on your computer.. like it should.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Any anti-virus you download is going to take a long time on dial up. Either the initial download or the updates, but you are probably used to that.

I install AVG for my clients that don't want to purchase an AV program. I have found it to be excellent. Those that have it report no viruses, trojans, etc. and this would be over a period of 5 years or so.

Don't know about the testing mentioned above, but I'll take five years of real-world use over a test any time.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
..... I install AVG for my clients that don't want to purchase an AV program. I have found it to be excellent. Those that have it report no viruses, trojans, etc. and this would be over a period of 5 years or so.

Don't know about the testing mentioned above, but I'll take five years of real-world use over a test any time.
I'm with Tek_Freek (again). I've installed AVG on more computers than I can remember. It has been running on all my computers at home ever since Computer Associates cancelled the free edition of InnoculateIt. I have not had a virus infect a computer running AVG.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
A little off-topic since the OP has dial-up.

Our ISP (Mediacom) will supply one copy of CA Internet ?? PRO to subscribers. You have to download it, sign up for it, then enter a code they send you. Doesn't work with 64 bit Vista yet, but they say it's supposed to be available in a month or so (read 6 months).

Your cable ISP might do the same.

mensaguy - I have the feeling that if we went into business together we wouldn't change much about the way we take care of clients...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

mensaguy - I have the feeling that if we went into business together we wouldn't change much about the way we take care of clients...
Yup!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
What program(s) should I be replacing it with and can I do it for FREE??? I will use Filehippo for whatever you recommend !

Note: Please advise with dial-up service in mind ! TIA
Avast works great. I've used it for over a year and it is excellent.

As far as dial up, it could suck for you. Avast can automatically update itself, but with dial up it could bog things down until it's done.

One thing you can try to get the program itself is to find a computer magazine with the free CD in it. You know the ones in plastic bags. Most of those CDs will have utilities on them like anti virus and anti spyware apps. It'll save some time downloading the program at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers