Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM

267 posts, read 1,290,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Might be when. If demand was high the servers might have been struggling.
I suspect that may have been why it took me 4 hours to download it. The little progress bar was stuck in one position, frozen solid for about 2 hours. I was like what the heck? It just wouldn't budge. I have a 2.8 gb processor, 1 gig of memory and when I downloaded it nothing was running in the background on my Dell XPS 400. I have anti-virus and spyware protection that I run once a week without failure. Ditto for CCleaner. I use CCleaner probrably 30 times a day. I update Windows every Wednesday/4 times a month without failure, so my machine is in decent shape, maintenance wise. Now, if I could only get my official HOTorNOT rating up a few points everything would be peachy

Last edited by hotornot; 05-08-2008 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 PM

86 posts, read 360,156 times
Default XP SP3 Issues

FYI: XP SP3 cripples some pc's with endless reboots. Article in Computer World:

XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,591,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinkc View Post
FYI: XP SP3 cripples some pc's with endless reboots. Article in Computer World:

XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots
See, I rest my case - here comes SP3 & 1/2!

That's why I don't trust M$ and wasn't going to download and install SP3 quite yet. There might be more SP3 skeletons awaiting discovery.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 PM

534 posts, read 2,411,205 times
Installed it on a few of my computers and about 10 of them at work in a testing capacity. No problems yet. It may have actually sped up my desktop at work, a first for a service pack. Ive had it about a week now i figure. I use my computer heavily for a variety of tasks, so Im pretty surprised.
For those that say they are waiting. Look at the release date for either sp1, or sp2. Then look at the current version and date that you can download. They dont update them. they may put out a patch, but they dont update the service packs. It seems they are commited, when its released, its released. This one they held back for a little while. When they come out with the final version, that will be the version you can download in 6 months or a year, or probably 2. I just downloaded sp2 a few days ago just out of curiosity and sure enough its the same version/size that i have from 2+ years ago.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,592,276 times
hotornot
Quote:
Speaking of Vista, SP3 will make XP run like a charm, even better than it runs now. Lots of people are just now finding out that Bill Gates is going to unleash a whole new OS in a year and a half from now in 2010. No sense in buying the bloated, slower Vista if Microsoft is going to release a new OS in 2010. The word is that it might even come out next year in 2009. Just hold onto your money and stay with XP is what I would do.
http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us (broken link)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=207100040 (broken link)[/quote]

From what I've been reading, Windows 7 won't be released until 2013, which is after MS support for XP has expired in 2012. Either way, Vista is dead meat and needs to be picked over by the vultures! I can't see MS releasing a new OS in this short period of time after the release of Vista, unless it's going to be Vista Second Edition, like Windows 98 Second Edition.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
See, I rest my case - here comes SP3 & 1/2!

That's why I don't trust M$ and wasn't going to download and install SP3 quite yet. There might be more SP3 skeletons awaiting discovery.
I installed XP SP3 several days ago, what a bear! Over 2 hours to download @768kbps DSL! Then over an hour to install with Window's trademark "endless re-boots"! Honestly, I can't see much of a difference in my XP Pro pre and post SP3 install!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM

955 posts, read 2,160,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
Service Pack 3 is out.
Speaking of Vista, SP3 will make XP run like a charm, even better than it runs now.
What kind of improvements could I expect? I currently run XP in an office center with high speed internet, and most of my needs are in old fashioned number crunching - little graphics, photo, etc. use.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,279,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
hotornot
http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us (broken link)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=207100040 (broken link)

From what I've been reading, Windows 7 won't be released until 2013, which is after MS support for XP has expired in 2012. Either way, Vista is dead meat and needs to be picked over by the vultures! I can't see MS releasing a new OS in this short period of time after the release of Vista, unless it's going to be Vista Second Edition, like Windows 98 Second Edition.
Using XP until 2013 is insane. I don't think MS will wait until 2013 for Windows 7, but if they do, Vista adoption will take off after the second service pack, same as we saw with XP.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Using XP until 2013 is insane. I don't think MS will wait until 2013 for Windows 7, but if they do, Vista adoption will take off after the second service pack, same as we saw with XP.
I have serious doubts about Vista taking off anywhere but the basement! XP enjoyed wide approval and adoption upon its release as a serious upgrade from the Windows 98 SE/ME era, Vista enjoys no such acceptance. XP has been in circulation for 9 years and is widely accepted as the de facto business Windows based OS, ergo the release of XP SP3. IMO, Vista will sink like the proverbial "lead balloon"!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,279,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I have serious doubts about Vista taking off anywhere but the basement! XP enjoyed wide approval and adoption upon its release as a serious upgrade from the Windows 98 SE/ME era, Vista enjoys no such acceptance. XP has been in circulation for 9 years and is widely accepted as the de facto business Windows based OS, ergo the release of XP SP3. IMO, Vista will sink like the proverbial "lead balloon"!
Obviously you don't remember when XP came out. Most PC geeks like yourself were telling everybody to stick with Win2k and complained about how dumbed down the new interface in XP was. The only difference is forums such as this weren't as active back then. People still used dial-up in most areas.

Unless MS meets its deadline and releases Windows 7 by 2010, Vista should start seeing at least some adoption. Vista has come a LONG ways since its release, and there is no point in using XP on high end hardware today. Even by 2010, the hardware available will have outgrown XP, there is no way it will still be a logical choice by 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers