Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 04:21 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The tech at Ribbit said Windows has to be updated, nothing can be done about it, everyone needs to be kept up to date. Makes sense in some ways, just wish it would not screw up everything on the computer as it does the updates.
I'm curious.

When I was living in Colorado, I had a professional come to work on my desk top computer in my home. He did it full time and had built up a healthy business over 9 or 10 years. When he came to work on my computer, which had nothing to do with an update, it was right in the middle of when there was a problem with Windows updates. I asked him over the life of his business how often he had been called to fix an update issue, and he said never in the 9 or 10 years.

Have many of you actually had a significant update issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 05:59 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm curious.

When I was living in Colorado, I had a professional come to work on my desk top computer in my home. He did it full time and had built up a healthy business over 9 or 10 years. When he came to work on my computer, which had nothing to do with an update, it was right in the middle of when there was a problem with Windows updates. I asked him over the life of his business how often he had been called to fix an update issue, and he said never in the 9 or 10 years.

Have many of you actually had a significant update issue?
My wife works as support for financial software serving government agencies. Windows updates break lots of stuff.

She also works for another company (from home) and a windows update broke stuff so badly she couldn't even get the machine to boot. Their IT couldn't figure it out, even after the same thing happened to two additional drives that they sent her with new OS images. Since she now had three useless drives, I took one of them and broke into it with a version of Linux. I was able to figure out just which update had done it, and correct the issue. I booted it on a duplicate machine and verified the fix, then had her boot up to work and call their IT. After explaining what broke and how I fixed it, their IT person said "You should be doing my job." I said to send me an application, but it never arrived.

------------------------------------------------------------

To duplicate a couple of other answers, I would never send a copy of my ID to a 'social media' site. No social media type site has my real personal information, and I would never give it to one. I value my privacy.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Well today I went to Facebook. Same thing, they want a picture ID. They already have it. But it said I could download my files, so I did. Now I have all the things I posted on my Facebook account but still cannot get into my homepage.

They still send me notifications of my friends that are posting updates. Really confusing when they won't let me into my homepage but they can let me download everything from my file.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:46 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Well today I went to Facebook. Same thing, they want a picture ID. They already have it. But it said I could download my files, so I did. Now I have all the things I posted on my Facebook account but still cannot get into my homepage.

They still send me notifications of my friends that are posting updates. Really confusing when they won't let me into my homepage but they can let me download everything from my file.
They don't care about you or your use of the site.
They just want to suck up all the data you will allow them to. Data is their business core.

Can't get in?
I should be so lucky. Seriously.

Old 10-04-2020, 05:38 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
It is scary how they can follow me to all the sites I visited and all the comments I have made. But I think if you are on the computer your life is an open book. Hello China.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:56 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
It is scary how they can follow me to all the sites I visited and all the comments I have made. But I think if you are on the computer your life is an open book. Hello China.
This is not inevitable, you just need to know the means for preventing it...and use them. I use various browser add-ons that prevent tracking. I also make it a habit to use different IDs for every site. I use different e-mail addresses. I vary my writing styles. When using 'questionable' sites, I use various bootable operating systems, some of which are unwriteable, in order to ensure that my activities cannot be linked, some operating systems I use run off encrypted partitions with keys so complex that I would be long dead before even government agencies using super-computers could crack them.

You need to learn how to keep the books closed. It can be done.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:46 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Facebook is like a vat of puke. The other day they sent me a new friend suggestion. It was a coworker who died last month.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:22 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
"pic of my drivers license"????
I didn't have to send a picture of my Driver License or any other form of ID when I signed up with Facebook. Have they changed the rules?
Heck NO!!
No social media website will get that from me. Ever!
I am on FB, but they don't have any of my personal info, not even my real name.
Yes, I heard on those changes, and I enrolled before they implemented them.
Nowadays, I wouldn't enroll anywhere if asked for such personal info. Not THAT desperate!

But back to op:
"Facebook is asking people to submit their I.D.s to prove their accounts are real. If Facebook suspects your account may be fraudulent, they may lock it and say that to restore the account, you need to send them identification to verify that you are who you say you are."

I never was asked to do that, despite the fact that my username is obviously just a nick and not my real name.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:02 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
I signed up for FB in 2008. As soon as I noticed that tracking BS, I said hell no. I logged out and have never been back. It's too bad. There are some really good resources on that site. Without an account, accessing information on it, is hit or miss. But every time I get the urge to log in or sign up again, I remember the reason I got out of there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers