Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 41,693 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a new computer and need to transfer my itunes from the old computer to the new one. What is the easiest way to do this? I dont now alot about computers so the more detailed the better. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:55 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Use the BUH program.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 AM

107 posts, read 425,361 times
Default if you are a mac user..

I did this over a year ago but if I remember correctly: My husband and I are mac users and when we bought two new mac computers we set up the same itunes account on the new computers and we were able to just plug in our ipods and transfer the songs. A single itunes account can authorize up to 5 computers (I think). I also think you can un-authorize the old computer and also transfer the songs if you happen to own more than 5 computers.
What we did with all of our files is use a fire wire to transfer the info. You have to buy the mac specific fire wires (they have a different plug then the pc fire-wire). It transfered all of our pictures, word docs, even the desktop backdrops and settings. You can "marry" the files (as my husband did) or you can have two different desk tops (like I have because I was too lazy to combine them- I have two different log in options when I turn the computer on).
I'm not great with computers and I found it very easy to do. The computer actually walked me through the process. I love how user friendly the macs are.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:16 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
This looks like a question for the Technology section of the forums: Technology - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
See if you can do a search on iTunes for "transferring music" or something. How much music do you have? My suggestion to you is to purchase an external harddrive and transfer all your files from your old computer to the external harddrive. Then, you can plug the external hard drive to your new computer and voila. This is pratical b'c you can keep a copy on the harddrive and your new computer so you have a back up. The external harddrive will also work for other types of data files like Word documents and such. It's a good idea to invest in them.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Is the original computer networked? If so, just share the drive and copy the entire folder over. I do this all the time.... I keep my music in a different location than the default, so my setup is different. But to find out where your music is, just got preferences, advanced.. and it should give you the path right there.

Setup iTunes on the new computer... close the application. And then copy the old folder to the new. The other way is to just import a folder (using the "add to library" command) and select the old itunes folder as the source; although I think this way you'll lose your ratings (if you use it).

Old 01-06-2008, 02:03 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Glad we have a thread on iTunes. All 3 of my sons have MP3 players but thus far have just put songs on them from CD's they have. The reason for this is that when we loaded iTunes on the computer it took up waaaay too much room and bogged down the computer, so we took it off. Anyone have a suggestion for this? Would an external hardrive be good for this as well? How much do they cost? Do you disconnect them when not in use so they don't bog down the computer?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Glad we have a thread on iTunes. All 3 of my sons have MP3 players but thus far have just put songs on them from CD's they have. The reason for this is that when we loaded iTunes on the computer it took up waaaay too much room and bogged down the computer, so we took it off. Anyone have a suggestion for this? Would an external hardrive be good for this as well? How much do they cost? Do you disconnect them when not in use so they don't bog down the computer?
If running iTunes makes your computer run too slowly then it's time for a new computer!! At least that's what I think. You can try defragmenting your harddrive (go to Windows, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter). that will help. Also, you may be running too many programs. Try running only iTunes and see if performance is any better.

External harddrives are good for back up. It's basically storage space (although you can also run programs from it, too, but you would still be using your computer's memory so I can't imagine doing this would make your computer run faster). The size range depends on how big of storage space you want. If it's just media files, around 100 GB should do just fine. If you are going to use it to back up all your data, I'd shoot for at least 160 GB, 200+ GB if you can shell out the moola. Yes, you can disconnect the external harddrive, or, you can just turn it off. As far as price goes, you can do a search online. It can range from $60+ to 800+ (for teragigabytes) but I'd say around $100-150 for a decent sized one. Look on Amazon or Best Buy or whatever retail store. You can search for "external hard drives". These are totally ball park figures. A lot of times, the day after Thanksgiving usually has a TON of sales for these stuff. That's usually when I buy 'em. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
My Itunes also slowed my computer down so I upgraded the memory from 512 to 1.5 gig and haven't had any issues since.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
My Itunes also slowed my computer down so I upgraded the memory from 512 to 1.5 gig and haven't had any issues since.
Thanks, good idea. Can't afford another computer, I have had a bad year with computers (looked under threat scammed buying a computer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers