Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:11 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,412,121 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm old school I don't like the keyboards on laptops and I also want a good monitor because my big hobby is photography and need a mouse.

I live rual NE GA but I have a Tiger Direct only 8 miles from my home so I'll be buying from them. I've already been over once and I'm still a bit overwhelmed. My last computer was a custom build by a guy who's moved. It's now 6 years old running XP and my monitor died and I'm using a crappy one now.

I have real concerns about Windows 8 from the reviews, but I went over to a friends house to help her with a quick software issue (she couldn't figure out how to copy/cut past in word) and did use it without any issues. I won't be getting a touch screen, I also heard there will be an update soon (Windows Blue) but it won't be out until the end of the year and I don't know if my current old betsy can wait that long.

Sooooo

How much RAM and Hard drive will I be happy with? I'm not a gamer but I want to have quality graphics for my photography, I use Adobe photoshop Elements and might be adding Lightroom soon. I will also get some sort of external storage for my photos.

I also utilize MS Office a lot and will be getting an upgrade on that too.

My time on the 'net is often graphic's heavy as I visit photo forums with lots of pics or online news feeds that are also graphics heavy.

I also refuse to buy an HP desktop my last one from bestbuy (crapbuy) lasted less than 2 years and fell apart.

They also are pushing Total Defense for computer security vs Norton/MacAffee...any info on that?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 AM

16,663 posts, read 19,951,052 times
4GB Ram.
500GB Hard drive.

This is the minimum I advise to people.
For Windows8 just use WINDOWS DEFENDER which is free in Windows8.

If you don't like Windows8 you can buy a program for $5.00 that gives you the look of 7, but the benefits of 8.
Windows 8 start menu returns with Start8 from Stardock! <----awesome....

Old 06-28-2013, 09:59 AM

17,767 posts, read 30,140,786 times
Default My personal advice

8+GB RAM
1+TB disk
i5 or i7
Windows 7 (not 8)

27-inch monitor and spend more than $500. Do lots of research.
Best IPS monitors - CNET Reviews
The 10 Best Computer Monitors | PCMag.com
Best monitor: 10 top displays reviewed and rated | News | TechRadar
A great 27-Inch LCD monitor | The Wirecutter

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I can't afford a $500 monitor any other suggestions?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,262,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Have you read any of the links davebarnes posted? Many of the suggested monitors are well under $500.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,962,726 times
Ignore Total Defense. They're just trying to make a fast buck. If they get pushy about it let them know you feel the need to spend your money elsewhere.

Good advice above regarding RAM and drive size. I agree with the 1TB if you have a lot of pictures, and I mean a LOT of pictures. Pay attention to the difference in pricing between 500GB and 1TB. It may not be that much more to go to 1TB. This is a good external drive (I own one). Note the differing sizes.

As for keyboards and mouse re: laptops, I am sitting in front of my laptop typing on a full-size keyboard, using a usb mouse, in my La-Z-Boy recliner. Adding a monitor to one is simple. I'm not recommending you buy a laptop, I'm just making you aware that it doesn't restrict you to the keyboard, touch pad, and laptop screen.

I use Norton Internet Security. That statement may start a firestorm...

You should get quotes and put the specs here so we can look them over.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,285,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I suggest the Viewsonic VX 2770 which is about half that at amazon. The HP 27 is also nice if you like a glossy screen.I have two 2770's and one 2370; LPS; great color out of box for photo programs and its even get high marks for gaming at price with little ghosting. The matte screen is the best I have seen with no grainy look like Asus and others .Desktop ;windows 7 with 8 GB ram and 1 TB drive should do anything you want but you could add a second 500 Mb drive for safety of one going out to have a copy on another. If they can not do windows 7 then HP and dell still have them to order .Norton is no problem now and I also like AVG. I have used both recently and no problems at all. I am using AVG since I had program paid up and Norton came when I bought desktop. Both never slowed the machine as some said of older norton but I know AVG very well and its features; so why change what has worked well is my view.

Last edited by texdav; 06-28-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 AM

I had already bought Norton for the year so I think I'll call in the AM to see how to change it over to new computer.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM

16,663 posts, read 19,951,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Good advice above regarding RAM and drive size. I agree with the 1TB if you have a lot of pictures, and I mean a LOT of pictures. Pay attention to the difference in pricing between 500GB and 1TB. It may not be that much more to go to 1TB.
I still respectfully disagree. Nothing he mentioned in his original post suggest he needs anywhere near 8GB or RAM. That is pure and total overkill. The OP would be perfectly served with 4GB of RAM. Would easily get by with only 3GB of RAM.
As for a TERABYTE hard drive, are we really that out of touch with how large a TERABYTE is? Not to even mention the OP clearly said he would get an external storage device for his photos.
For the computer he wants, a 500GB hard drive is plenty large enough.
A 500 GB hard drive will hold roughly 1.6 million photos. I don't care how prolific a photographer you are, you will probably be getting a new computer by the time you can fill a 500GB hard drive with just photos...

Would he be UNHAPPY with a TB drive and 8GB of RAM? Of course not. But I get the impression the OP is trying to get something a but less expensive.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 AM

28,804 posts, read 47,962,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I still respectfully disagree. Nothing he mentioned in his original post suggest he needs anywhere near 8GB or RAM. That is pure and total overkill. The OP would be perfectly served with 4GB of RAM. Would easily get by with only 3GB of RAM.
As for a TERABYTE hard drive, are we really that out of touch with how large a TERABYTE is? Not to even mention the OP clearly said he would get an external storage device for his photos.
For the computer he wants, a 500GB hard drive is plenty large enough.
A 500 GB hard drive will hold roughly 1.6 million photos. I don't care how prolific a photographer you are, you will probably be getting a new computer by the time you can fill a 500GB hard drive with just photos...

Would he be UNHAPPY with a TB drive and 8GB of RAM? Of course not. But I get the impression the OP is trying to get something a but less expensive.
I was referring to your post. I hate when that happens. 8GB is certainly overkill in this instance.

As for drive size it depends. If you can get the same PC with 1TB instead 500GB for a few dollars more, why not? In the link I gave in my post the difference between 500GB and 1TB is $15.00. That's a small price difference for the extra 500GB. Even if there seems to be no chance of it ever being used it's still a good deal for a little $$. And storing pictures on an external drive is a good idea, but if they are not also on the internal drive where's the backup?

And in case you missed it I said "a LOT of pictures".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers