Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times

Advertisements

Computer & monitor working fine this morning, came back to it this evening and the monitor has gone all...weird. Fuzzy and over-sized fonts, color has a definite green cast...it looks a little as if it's in safe mode, but it's not.
Monitor is an LED monitor about two years old, computer is about 18 month old emachine.
All the settings on the monitor were set to normal and I can't bring back proper color or appearance.
I've run a complete scan of my system and nothing seems to be amiss. Everything works, just...looks weird.

So - I'm assuming the monitor has just reached the end of its life?
I don't have either a spare monitor or tower handy to switch around...is there any way I can figure out for sure? I don't want to go buy another monitor and have that not be the problem...I'm not terribly technically adept except for basic "housecleaning" and yes, I do have anti-virus protection.

Any ideas? Thanks. I hope the screenshot I took shows up and isn't too enormous.
(Heh. Just noticed "How to take screenshot" shows up in my screenshot image. As I said, I'm not that adept...!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Did the cable get slightly pulled out? Did someone play with your computer while you were away? Is there "auto image adjustment" or similar button on the monitor? Did you check the monitor settings (display) in the Windows control panel? I can think of several more questions, but the will do to start with.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM

23,870 posts, read 24,096,161 times
You need new glasses.

But seriously... Do you have another computer you can plug into it? Maybe a laptop, or a neighbor's laptop? That would be the quickest way to determine which side of the cable has the problem.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Did the cable get slightly pulled out? Did someone play with your computer while you were away? Is there "auto image adjustment" or similar button on the monitor? Did you check the monitor settings (display) in the Windows control panel? I can think of several more questions, but the will do to start with.
Maybe*, no, yes, yes.

*Aand...now it's back to normal again. It's the cable, if I jiggle it the display comes back up nice and sharp. The one thing I didn't try before I posted the OP.
Oddly enough, the screen shot looks perfectly OK, now that I can see it. Seriously, it was all green and fuzzy and blocky. I suppose a screen shot takes a "picture" of what the display should be, if that makes sense? Instead of one compromised by a loose cable.

Quote:
You need new glasses.
Well yeah. That too, no doubt!!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Maybe*, no, yes, yes.

*Aand...now it's back to normal again. It's the cable, if I jiggle it the display comes back up nice and sharp. The one thing I didn't try before I posted the OP.
Oddly enough, the screen shot looks perfectly OK, now that I can see it. Seriously, it was all green and fuzzy and blocky. I suppose a screen shot takes a "picture" of what the display should be, if that makes sense? Instead of one compromised by a loose cable.

Well yeah. That too, no doubt!!
That's correct. The screen shot would not be affected by the monitor issues. I had a feeling it was the cable, which is why it was my first question.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM

102 posts, read 245,695 times
Your Norton looks expired or outdated. Update it, but if your subscription has expired I suggest removing Norton and installing Avast if you're wanting something free or installing Kaspersky if you want paid for antivirus.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 AM

Thanks dkf and CTS.
Yes, the Norton is expired and I can't make the frigging notifications go away! It resists uninstalling.
I have the paid version of AVG.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 AM

102 posts, read 245,695 times
Your Norton will not only be a nuisance but also conflict with other firewalls.

Google 'Norton Removal Tool' and visit the website that is BY support.norton.com.

You will see a list of links, select the one that is specified to your version of Norton. Don't quote me, but I think your version will be the second link in the list. You will download their uninstaller, and run it. Should be pretty simple and may require one reboot.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
Your Norton will not only be a nuisance but also conflict with other firewalls.

Google 'Norton Removal Tool' and visit the website that is BY support.norton.com.

You will see a list of links, select the one that is specified to your version of Norton. Don't quote me, but I think your version will be the second link in the list. You will download their uninstaller, and run it. Should be pretty simple and may require one reboot.
Ah! Thank you, I will do this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers