Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,032,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
That's easy to say right now. But just wait until you have no rights at all to do anything on your computer without Microsoft's permission. (It's already getting there.)

A computer isn't a hairdryer. It's a machine that often carries very personal information on it. From an ethical point of view, no company should have any power to determine what you do or don't do with your computer.

People use computers for a variety of purposes. I have a PC that is used for audio production. Linux-based, obviously. I've even changed the kernel to have realtime capabilities. (Something you will never have with Windows.)
In addition, I don't need an anti-virus, and I install ONLY the applications that I need. Nothing else. Lightweight and free.

Computers must remain in the hands of the people. If you want Windows, fine. If you don't, that's also your choice.
Today many applications are substituting those that were commercial products made by Microsoft. LibreOffice/OpenOffice are completely free, and so everything Office does (afaict).
The advantage is not only saving money. It's being able to set up your PC the way you like. Period.

My question is: why are people still using Windows????

Peace,
brian
Because the majority of people using a computer right now probably first learned how to use a Windows machine as their home computer. Your average person is also afraid of change, set in their ways if you will. This is probably 75% of the reason why people still use Windows. Since people are afraid to try something new, software writers see no point in spending money porting or writing programs for other OSes. However, if people grew up using Linux in school, for example, it would be a different story and some countries are actually implementing Linux in the school environment and those kids would be well equipped to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,391,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because the majority of people using a computer right now probably first learned how to use a Windows machine as their home computer. Your average person is also afraid of change, set in their ways if you will. This is probably 75% of the reason why people still use Windows. Since people are afraid to try something new, software writers see no point in spending money porting or writing programs for other OSes. However, if people grew up using Linux in school, for example, it would be a different story and some countries are actually implementing Linux in the school environment and those kids would be well equipped to use it.
Yes. It's up to us (the people) to make the changes we want to see happen.
Next week I'm giving a talk on using Linux. (And I'm not even a programmer! )

Peace,
brian

Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,518,062 times
Quote:
That's easy to say right now. But just wait until you have no rights at all to do anything on your computer without Microsoft's permission. (It's already getting there.)
What rights are you speaking about exactly?

Quote:
A computer isn't a hairdryer. It's a machine that often carries very personal information on it. From an ethical point of view, no company should have any power to determine what you do or don't do with your computer.
Well, I agree to a certain extent, but there are some things even I feel a company has the right to protect in order to stay in business.

Quote:
People use computers for a variety of purposes. I have a PC that is used for audio production. Linux-based, obviously. I've even changed the kernel to have realtime capabilities. (Something you will never have with Windows.)
In addition, I don't need an anti-virus, and I install ONLY the applications that I need. Nothing else. Lightweight and free.
You need to think in real world terms. In the real world, especially the business "office" world, Windows is the most compatible operating system to use for pretty much all business applications. It would cost companies millions of dollars each year to have to train its employees on each distro of Linux, on top of having to deal with compatibility issues, hardware issues. Yes I know Linux has improved hardware issues in recent years, but those issues still exist. And for the most part, Windows remains virtually compatible with everything you need to do in the business world, right out of the box, with many different hardware manufacturers, etc...In terms of time saved - which means money saved, it makes most sense to stick with Windows. And not only that, your average computer user isn't going to know beans about tweaking kernels and doesn't care to know. They just want to be able to work on their spreadsheets, letters, print, surf the web, Facebook, and You Tube.

Quote:
Computers must remain in the hands of the people. If you want Windows, fine. If you don't, that's also your choice.
You still DO have a choice even if Microsoft is making you work for it a bit. Why on earth would Microsoft care about making it easy for its users to put a second OS, that is not Windows based, on the PC? They are marketing MICROSOFT WINDOWS, they don't give a rat's behind about helping Linux - and they shouldn't. Apple in recent years is only able to allow duo boot with Windows, because they started using more Intel products, but it also helps to move more Apple computers into the business world where the Windows PC general dominates.

Quote:
Today many applications are substituting those that were commercial products made by Microsoft. LibreOffice/OpenOffice are completely free, and so everything Office does (afaict).
The advantage is not only saving money. It's being able to set up your PC the way you like. Period.
Your average computer user just wants the computer set up to do its basic functions: office productivity, internet, email, printing. That's pretty much it, and it's pretty much set up like that out of the box. I like free alternative apps like Libre and Foxit, but I also like the functionality of Microsoft office and Adobe. And I'm sorry, but not all software is created equal, and I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for something that does what it needs to do if it saves me money in the long run or, heck, makes me money in the long run. If that app happens to be the free app, great, but not all free apps, IMO, are just as good as the paid ones. Take it from someone who uses them on a daily basis at work, and has users at work who use them on a daily basis. There are plenty of issues that we run into with the free apps, that we don't have with the Microsoft apps.

Quote:
My question is: why are people still using Windows????
1. No expensive training of employees to use Linux.
2. Mostly everyone has experience using Windows based OS.
3. Mostly all business applications are fully compatible with Windows - some Windows only.
4. It works right out of the box - no tweaking.
5. Windows works on pretty much everything with only minor compatibility issues - even now works on Apple computers.
6. Windows generally works seamlessly in the network environment, not always the case with certain distros of Linux.
7. Speaking of distros of Linux, which ones would the businesses use? Which flavor? And if they switch to a different distro, they'll more than likely have to spend more time and money training their employees to use it.
8. Anti-virus isn't a big deal. It's free nowadays along with anti-spyware apps. I don't see any performance degradation using Avast or AVG free versions.
9. Video games are usually made more for Windows based PCs as opposed to Linux.
10. Linux just hasn't given anybody a really good reason to switch away from Microsoft yet.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Linux and use mostly Fedora distros, but it's not compatible with things I have to do at work. I use free apps, but I'll choose Excel '07 over Calc any day of the week - however I'd choose Calc over Excel 2000 and older. As an IT pro, having to tweak the kernel wouldn't be a big issue with me, but it's like expecting every car owner to have the knowledge to replace all of their standard equipment on their engines with aftermarket parts that tweak the engines. Most of us just want to get into the car and drive from point A to point B. The same would apply to computers.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,187,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
With the release of Windows 8, Linux has a chance to increase its share on desktops, since it will feel more like the Windows that people are used to than Windows 8 itself. It will require hardware manufacturers to offer Linux on their PC's and actually market it. I remember when Dell offered that option a few years ago. They didn't market it, it never made the big box stores, and you had to navigate your way in their website to find them. No wonder it didn't work.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,265,639 times
Maybe we get to the root cause of this and trash the governments "Fair Use Laws"

I have total faith the someone or some group will have a crack out for it within a week of announcement.....

Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What rights are you speaking about exactly?
The right to do whatever you want with your computer. To use what apps you want, to remove the apps you don't want, the right to know if an app is accessing your personal information, the right to modify your apps if you want, the right to SHARE your apps with other people if you want.....

Quote:
Well, I agree to a certain extent, but there are some things even I feel a company has the right to protect in order to stay in business.
Sure. But companies are made of people. And people make decisions that can be morally incorrect.

Quote:
You need to think in real world terms. In the real world, especially the business "office" world, Windows is the most compatible operating system to use for pretty much all business applications. It would cost companies millions of dollars each year to have to train its employees on each distro of Linux, on top of having to deal with compatibility issues, hardware issues. Yes I know Linux has improved hardware issues in recent years, but those issues still exist. And for the most part, Windows remains virtually compatible with everything you need to do in the business world, right out of the box, with many different hardware manufacturers, etc...In terms of time saved - which means money saved, it makes most sense to stick with Windows. And not only that, your average computer user isn't going to know beans about tweaking kernels and doesn't care to know. They just want to be able to work on their spreadsheets, letters, print, surf the web, Facebook, and You Tube.
On the contrary. To use Windows, you have to own a Microsoft license. With Linux, you pay nothing.
Google uses Linux for its servers, and one of the reasons they do this is for cost-effectiveness. Linux has everything Windows has in terms of Office-document applications, and web-browsing clients. In fact, you have even more options than Windows gives you. Have you ever seen the list of apps available for an average linux OS? There are literally hundreds of apps available for free, to do everything from writing programs to learning about science, math, etc.

Quote:
You still DO have a choice even if Microsoft is making you work for it a bit. Why on earth would Microsoft care about making it easy for its users to put a second OS, that is not Windows based, on the PC? They are marketing MICROSOFT WINDOWS, they don't give a rat's behind about helping Linux - and they shouldn't. Apple in recent years is only able to allow duo boot with Windows, because they started using more Intel products, but it also helps to move more Apple computers into the business world where the Windows PC general dominates.
The reason that Microsoft doesn't care about Linux (which has been around longer than Windows) makes it such that the open-source community (linux programmers) have to work to try to accomodate Windows-based apps as much as possible. And they're doing a very good job, too. When you install a linux OS, you have a kernel installed that has the drivers for your video/audio card already provided. Just install and it sets everything up for you. That's much easier than having to install drivers on Windows.

Quote:
Your average computer user just wants the computer set up to do its basic functions: office productivity, internet, email, printing. That's pretty much it, and it's pretty much set up like that out of the box. I like free alternative apps like Libre and Foxit, but I also like the functionality of Microsoft office and Adobe. And I'm sorry, but not all software is created equal, and I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for something that does what it needs to do if it saves me money in the long run or, heck, makes me money in the long run. If that app happens to be the free app, great, but not all free apps, IMO, are just as good as the paid ones. Take it from someone who uses them on a daily basis at work, and has users at work who use them on a daily basis. There are plenty of issues that we run into with the free apps, that we don't have with the Microsoft apps.
The fact that you want to buy an app that you like is not the issue. I do that, too.
The issue is the OS. It's your PC that should be yours to set up the way you want, including free or non-free software.
Microsoft apparently doesn't agree, however.

Quote:
1. No expensive training of employees to use Linux.
see no.2
Quote:
2. Mostly everyone has experience using Windows based OS.
You had to learn Windows. So the hard part is already over. The "training" you mention is about as hard as learning to type in your password. You don't need to do anything else. Does that sound hard?
Quote:
3. Mostly all business applications are fully compatible with Windows - some Windows only.
That's not the fault of linux. Most likely, they do it only because the userbase is so large. But many apps that are Windows-based are now usable in linux. Especially in the last few years, I'd say. And it's increasing. (My wife's iPhone is recognized on my linux laptop no problem.)
Quote:
4. It works right out of the box - no tweaking.
So is linux. Believe me. I'm no programmer!
Quote:
5. Windows works on pretty much everything with only minor compatibility issues - even now works on Apple computers.
So does linux.
Quote:
6. Windows generally works seamlessly in the network environment, not always the case with certain distros of Linux.
If you mean LANs, I am connected to a Windows PC with my file manager all day. True, sometimes you need to configure things. But in this case, I didn't do anything at all. (Some file managers are more "complete" than others, however.)
Quote:
7. Speaking of distros of Linux, which ones would the businesses use? Which flavor? And if they switch to a different distro, they'll more than likely have to spend more time and money training their employees to use it.
There are really just 3 branches of linux: Debian, Slackware and RedHat. See here: GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline

Quote:
8. Anti-virus isn't a big deal. It's free nowadays along with anti-spyware apps. I don't see any performance degradation using Avast or AVG free versions.
Yes, some anti-viruses are free. But your computer is faster without it. (All you need is a basic firewall; free of course, and usually is already included. And of course, your password. )
Quote:
9. Video games are usually made more for Windows based PCs as opposed to Linux.
True. Some work well in linux, from what I hear. I'm not big on video games, but I know that it's an area that's now starting to grow. Wine can handle many.
Quote:
10. Linux just hasn't given anybody a really good reason to switch away from Microsoft yet.
I guess it's kind of a political thing. I like the freedom to use my PC the way I want. Honestly, I can't think of any reason why I'd go back to using Windows.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Linux and use mostly Fedora distros, but it's not compatible with things I have to do at work. I use free apps, but I'll choose Excel '07 over Calc any day of the week - however I'd choose Calc over Excel 2000 and older. As an IT pro, having to tweak the kernel wouldn't be a big issue with me, but it's like expecting every car owner to have the knowledge to replace all of their standard equipment on their engines with aftermarket parts that tweak the engines. Most of us just want to get into the car and drive from point A to point B. The same would apply to computers.
True. I know that many people don't care what's going on with their computer, they just want to send emails, surf the web, etc. Again, I'd say it's a political thing. I just feel "safer" being able to do what I want with my PC. After all, I did buy it. And it's called a "personal computer" because it usually also contains your own personal information. I like to be able to choose who sees that info.

Peace,
brian

Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 AM

23,822 posts, read 24,216,609 times
Interesting thread. I wasn't going to comment, but:

Quote:
Linux (which has been around longer than Windows)
That's wrong. You're probably thinking about Unix. Linux is a Unix-like operating system, but it's completely independent of Unix.

I was using Windows in the '80s. Linux wasn't born until late 1991.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM

9,962 posts, read 18,556,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

That's wrong. You're probably thinking about Unix. Linux is a Unix-like operating system, but it's completely independent of Unix.

Correct, Unix has been around since the 60's.

Linux is modeled after Unix, but it is really different under the covers... in the Kernel.

Difference Between Linux and UNIX

Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Yes, I was actually waiting for this correction already when I posted it. I think my point was simply that Windows is by no means the "founder" of the PC as we know it today. Probably Mac more than anything, but the concept of an open source OS remains important. Either we decide what we have on our computers, or someone else will decide for us.
Richard Stallman (love him or hate him) (and associates) has done a very noble thing for the computer-using world of today, by working to keep computing in the hands of the people. Imo.

Peace,
brian

Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM

310 posts, read 1,028,531 times
Why worry about this at all?

Just buy from one of the dozens of vendors that sell linux already installed on laptops and desktops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers