Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 PM

3,084 posts, read 7,280,895 times

Advertisements

I just got a Linksys E1200 Wireless N-Router.

Heres my connection when I connect my computer directly into my cable modem:

Download: 255.22 mbps

Upload: 4.12 mbps

Now here is my connection when I go wireless and use my new router:

Download: 0.58 mpbs

Upload: 4.18 mbps

Is this normal???

I cant even stream youtube smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,628,517 times
255Mbps from cable WOW, who offers that?

(I assume you are testing with speedtest.net or similar)

No, you have some wireless issues, setup or signal quality due to distance or number of walls/floors, or other interference. Do neighbors have wireless, are they on the same channel?

Start task manager, click the "networking" tab, and it will show the "link speed" of the wireless connection.

If you have a 'n' wireless card, you should get 144 or faster with decent signal quality.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,852,172 times
There's a free program called inSSIDer that will tell you what other wireless networks exist within range of yours, what channels those routers are on, and you can watch the amplitude variations over time. You can see whose signal(s) are overlapping yours. Generally, iirc, channels 1, 6, and 11 are the ones with no overlap. The other channels (at least for the 1-14 range) overlap, kind of like old fashioned radio dial or slider tuners, where you can receive the signal weakly at the sides and just right someplace in the center. Use inSSIDer to see what channels and other networks are within range and how your/their network(s) are interacting. If youre router is set to "Auto" for the channel, you might need to set it to a specific channel.

Read the reviews of your router and see whether there are a lot of similar complaints. I did read lots of complaints about some routers, consistently, where the speed dropped over time. Or that a firmware revision caused degradation of performance and someone had to reprogram the router with the previous firmware to cure it.

Read up on what other wireless devices can interfere with the signal, within your own house.

Reposition or relocate the router to see if that helps. Reposition or relocate the device you're trying to connect, and see if the signal and speed are better quality somewhere else.

Visit the forum of the manufacturer of your modem. Mine's a Netgear and I found lots of good advice on their forum, even if Netgear is not the greatest.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,890,829 times
Mrs. Tek's laptop did that. Mine was running at 300mbps and hers was at 100 or less. I went into the properties for the NIC and tested some settings, one of which immediately upped her to 300. I cannot for the life of me remember which one it was, but you might try playing with those settings (one at a time ONLY, and reset it back to the previous setting if there is no change before you move to the next setting) and see if it helps.

Assuming Windows 7 since you didn't tell us.

Go to Network and Sharing Center and click on the wireless network connection link halfway down the right side.

Click on Properties.

Click on Configure at the top by the NIC card.

Click on the Advanced tab and look through that list. Values will show up on the right side.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,852,172 times
Another thought: What wireless standard is the PC's network adapter? n is fast, but g and b are sluggish. I stuck a wireless card in a PC today and, man, was it slow. I retested and still got 11-12 download. Sure enough, it's only a b/g card. LOL I'll donate it to the local computer repair shop. Someone will use it.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,890,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Another thought: What wireless standard is the PC's network adapter? n is fast, but g and b are sluggish. I stuck a wireless card in a PC today and, man, was it slow. I retested and still got 11-12 download. Sure enough, it's only a b/g card. LOL I'll donate it to the local computer repair shop. Someone will use it.
Good point. The OP didn't mention the NIC standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers