Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

I have a Mac (G-4) hooked up to an HP psc 1350 printer (it's also a scanner and copier). It's an inkjet printer with replaceable cartridges.
Recently, I have been printing much and the ink runs out quickly. I have saved the empty cartridges (both black and color) and would like to refill them myself. Has anyone done this? I assume it's a simple procedure, but would like to avoid any problems. I'm interested in any tips and/or advice on how to refill cartridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
Yes, I have done that. Just use latex gloves and do it in a sink in case you have any ink drops. I have an HP All in one Desk jet and refilling it is not a problem. I have been using the same cartridge for over 2 years now.

PLEASE NOTE: The refill has to happen as soon as you are going out of ink. If it is already empty, the internal part of the cartridge starts to dry out and the refill may not work as well (if at all). So I do not know if the refill will work for you since you said you already have the cartridges empty. Give it a try.

Note: Do not do it when you have guests in the house. Walking to the bathroom sink with latex gloves raises questions.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Default Coloweb

Thanks for the important tips. The empty cartidges I have are empty since months and I was wondering if refilling those would be a problem. I guess I'll just send them off for recycling, and refill the low cartridge I have now.
Thanks much for your input.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
My Dad believed he could save a lot of money refilling his own. It cost me wall to wall carpet, a new love seat, plus I had to repaint the bathroom 3 times to cover up the marks by the light switch & surrounding wall.
Funny now but not at the time.

Muse

Old 09-05-2007, 04:27 PM

279 posts, read 1,858,956 times
I have done it too. I had blue ink all over my face and arms for days. And then to really stick it to me, the color ink didn't print in true colors.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 PM

265 posts, read 813,720 times
I tried this and ended up with a mess. I didn't work too well either, but maybe my cartrige was empty.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
You guys need to post photos of the aftermath LOL

I thought about it and I discover you can get ink half the price of retail on ebay but make sure you buy from a legitimate seller who selling the authentic cartridge

Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 PM

279 posts, read 1,858,956 times
Oh yeah, it was great. I dropped my kids off at school in the morning and I looked normal. Six hours later I was so embarrased picking up my kids. It was so funny.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:07 AM

417 posts, read 1,281,731 times
If you have a Walgreens near you, check to see if they refill the cartridges. I know that the readerboard at Walgreens in University Place says that black cartridge refill is $10 and I believe that color is $15.

I have refilled my own once and you need to follow the instructions exactly. It said to rest the inking surface on a folded papertowel for ?? minutes. I didn't do it and it wanted to leak. So I went back and let it sit the full time and it creates like a "vacuum" to keep the ink inside from flowing. It was a hassle to refill though and I tried and tried to get the printer to realize that the cartridge was full--but it just wouldn't reset.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
My Dad believed he could save a lot of money refilling his own. It cost me wall to wall carpet, a new love seat, plus I had to repaint the bathroom 3 times to cover up the marks by the light switch & surrounding wall.
My dad was actually successful with an older Canon, yet I was not. I ended up ruining the Canon S600 I tried to refill. The yellow ink leaked out all over the printer.
On the bright side, I needed a new printer anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoutofCA View Post
then to really stick it to me, the color ink didn't print in true colors.
I thought so too about the colors that my dad used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers