Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,574,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
They aren't blocking anything on the hardware level. They are only requiring that OEM builders that want the "Win8 Logo" turn on UEFI.

They aren't requiring the MB manufacturer to remove the ability to turn off UEFI.

Windows itself doesn't even require UEFI, and will boot with it turned off.
Doesn't appear that mb makers enable it either. I expect it will disappear from OEM machines first.

Quote:
Red Hat developer Matthew Garrett in his article "UEFI secure booting" raised a concern that UEFI "secure boot" feature may impact Linux (machines with the Windows 8 logo with secure boot enabled that ships with only OEM and Microsoft keys will not boot a generic copy of Linux) In response, Microsoft stated that customers can disable the secure boot feature in the BIOS. The concern was that the ability to disable it may be missing from some computers.
End result; M$ dictates what can be run on the hardware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,510,484 times
As long as I can build my own PC from scratch and dual boot Win 8 + Linux, I'm a happy camper..

Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,044,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
As long as I can build my own PC from scratch and dual boot Win 8 + Linux, I'm a happy camper..
Won't be a problem, despite what the prophets of doom are saying.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,273,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Won't be a problem, despite what the prophets of doom are saying.
Exactly. My guess is that anyone who would want to dual boot W8/Linux are going to be hobbyist who build their own machines. I can't think of any Linux users who buy new Windows machines to run Linux. They either buy older/used PCs for dirt cheap, or build their own.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Exactly. My guess is that anyone who would want to dual boot W8/Linux are going to be hobbyist who build their own machines. I can't think of any Linux users who buy new Windows machines to run Linux. They either buy older/used PCs for dirt cheap, or build their own.
I have to disagree to a certain extent. Seasoned Linux users will most likely build their own PC's, but most people that want to try Linux for the first time will do so from a PC that already has Windows in it.

Disabling what is termed a "security feature" in order to run Linux will discourage them from even trying it in the first place.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,899,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia
White hat hackers will find a way around this to install Linux.
I dont see how they can stop it if you format and take that crap off of there!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,044,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Someone was being overly dramatic, hackers won't be required.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't UEFI replace the BIOS? So formatting the drive won't take it off. The firmware will have to be reflashed with a new BIOS or a non-M$ UEFI, and AFAIK, that is specific to the make and model of the motherboard. So what works for an ASUS MB with an NVidia chipset will not work on a MSI MB with a VIA chipset.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,475,236 times
I think MS (or whoever) would get sued for anti-trust stuff. that would stop it quick.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,147,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Adding some more fuel to the little spat on the issue: Windows 8 secure boot would 'exclude' Linux ? The Register
According the the Wiki article:

In response, Microsoft stated that customers can disable the secure boot feature in the BIOS.[2][42] The concern is that some OEMs might omit that capability in their computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers