Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM

339 posts, read 696,221 times

Advertisements

Need the experts assistance here....

I would like to buy a wireless USB pre-paid internet to use on my laptop when I travel. I have a PC and a laptop. The PC is my main computer and internet surfing tool. I don't use the laptop for the internet however that is about to change as I will be using my laptop more as I will be travelling and will now need the laptop for internet use on-the-go.

I am looking at the pre-paid internet option because I don't want a monthly fee; I just want to use it as needed. Most of the places I visit will NOT be internet ready or necessarily Wi-Fi locales. With this in mind I've been looking at the prepaid wireless USB internet.

I've been trying to do some research on my own and I think I am confusing myself LOL...

I've read reviews on Virgin, Clear, for example and the reviews were mixed at best. It seems most of the major Internet Providers offer some form of prepaid but again I am not clear on who offers the best service (mixed reviews)

I also saw there are rental options they will mail the USB to you to use for a week or two or whatever length of time and you pay the daily fee and mail the USB back to them. My concern with this option is you do have to download software some of it is name brand (ATT, Sprint, etc), some of it are lesser known.

I don't know anything about this rental option and have not found reviews about this option. Also I am not interest in Mi-Fi since I won't need to attach more than one device while on-the-go.
I need advice on this...thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
Need the experts assistance here....

I would like to buy a wireless USB pre-paid internet to use on my laptop when I travel. I have a PC and a laptop. The PC is my main computer and internet surfing tool. I don't use the laptop for the internet however that is about to change as I will be using my laptop more as I will be travelling and will now need the laptop for internet use on-the-go.

I am looking at the pre-paid internet option because I don't want a monthly fee; I just want to use it as needed. Most of the places I visit will NOT be internet ready or necessarily Wi-Fi locales. With this in mind I've been looking at the prepaid wireless USB internet.

I've been trying to do some research on my own and I think I am confusing myself LOL...

I've read reviews on Virgin, Clear, for example and the reviews were mixed at best. It seems most of the major Internet Providers offer some form of prepaid but again I am not clear on who offers the best service (mixed reviews)

I also saw there are rental options they will mail the USB to you to use for a week or two or whatever length of time and you pay the daily fee and mail the USB back to them. My concern with this option is you do have to download software some of it is name brand (ATT, Sprint, etc), some of it are lesser known.

I don't know anything about this rental option and have not found reviews about this option. Also I am not interest in Mi-Fi since I won't need to attach more than one device while on-the-go.
I need advice on this...thanks all.
For the most part these modems are going to work about as well as a cell phone on the same network, so if you are traveling into an area where cell reception is sketchy you probably won't have the greatest experience. If you know that a certain carrier has better coverage where you'll be traveling then I'd go with that carrier.

My brother in law spends days at a time on job sites, and has two modems from different carriers just to make sure he has the coverage he needs.

As for renting, They'd have to be pretty darn cheap, considering that you can buy most of the modems for less than $100.

Personally, I'd probably pick one up at Walmart. They appear to have several (and the refill cards), and their return policy is pretty liberal if you decide that you don't like it (double check to be sure that they take these things back).

Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Thank you for your reply...I was looking at the one at Walmart which is Virgin, that was one of the ones that received mixed reviews.

The complaints were dropped coverage/spotty coverage or very slow response time (some said dial up was faster than Virgin Prepaid Internet...lol)

But some reviewers of the product said they had no problems, but the nays seemed to outweigh the yeas-- This seemed to be the consensus, not just with this product but with others providers too.

I'll see what the return policy is and if it is liberal enough, I may take a chance.

Again thank you

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM

I just wanted to do a follow up to this-I did end of buying the Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go at Walmart...the modem was 79.00 and I also purchased a a 20 dollar card to refill... if you purchase at Walmart there is a special with how to refill plus from my research, the price of the modem was the least expensive at Walmart.

My verdict...the connection was excellent I had 4 full bars of connection where I was vacationing in the northeast... I was also able to stay connected (although it was less than 4 bars usually 1 bar) while driving. Naturally when you are in motion you run the risk of losing coverage completely as you move in and out of coverage areas, but that should be expected.

Overall I am pleased with this pay-as-you-go internet from broadband2go from Virgin Mobile... excellent coverage where I have used it, decent speed and best of all NO contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers