Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times

Advertisements

The Dell guy was at my home this morning to replace the motherboard for the second time since July. When he left, my e-mail was gone (it was there last night) even though the other sites are there. The only thing that I get when I go to my e-mail is Hi. I called Dell to see what they could do. Normally they are excellent. They said that sending the tech guy back out was not an option but a new computer was if I wanted one in red--I don't. Does anyone know how to get my e-mail back up? I appreciate all help and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Are you using an icon or going through Yahoo home page?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 AM

75 posts, read 137,460 times
Yeah, your post is confusing because I'm not sure if you are using a client(such as Outlook) to access your email or not? If not, just pop open your internet explorer and type in this address, http://mail.yahoo.com
then input your username and password and there's your email

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 AM

My mail is bookmarked and that did not work. I tried to go through yahoo and that did not work. I just tried your link, paradizecityz, and now my screen is completely blank--not even the hi. Dell is sending me a new computer in the color of my choice, but except for my e-mail and now my Facebook page, everything is okay.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Can you can ping the web site address from Command Line?
1. START
2. RUN
3. Type cmd
4. OK
5. In Command Line window, type: ping mail.yahoo.com
also try: ping www.mail.yahoo.com

If both gives you 4 successful replies from their respective IP addresses then my guess is either:

A) This is a browser issue:
- Try cleaning all your browser cache and cookies and try again.
- Make sure your browser (and its version) is supported by Yahoo

- OR -

B) Try another -supported- web browser.

If you are not able to ping the web site from Command Line but other web sites can be accessed, then possibly the site is blocked:
- By your ISP (unlikely)

- By a security program installed on your PC (security suite or firewall, this is common on work computers and typically enforced on the firewall level or GPs or the application admin console in use)

- By a malicious software (possibly a Browser Hijacker or Trojan)

- Your IP/domain was blocked by Yahoo due to malicious request/activity from your end (this could occur only when your system was controlled by a hacker as a zombie node or by a powerful worm).

Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM

I believe that Dell must have gone into my computer because late last night both my e-mail and Facebook came back up. Really weird that nothing else was touched. Thanks for the replies. Anyway, they are sending me a new computer so we'll see what happens. I think mine may have a virus. This is the second motherboard in two months and my adaptor gets so hot that I can use it as a heating pad. As I told them in July and yesterday, I'm afraid of a fire.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 AM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I believe that Dell must have gone into my computer because late last night both my e-mail and Facebook came back up. Really weird that nothing else was touched. Thanks for the replies. Anyway, they are sending me a new computer so we'll see what happens. I think mine may have a virus. This is the second motherboard in two months and my adaptor gets so hot that I can use it as a heating pad. As I told them in July and yesterday, I'm afraid of a fire.
Unless it is one of them mischievous tech support guys from India, I seriously doubt it was something Dell did remotely, at least it is not something common or they would do typically.

Your problems sounded mainly due to faulty.crappy hardware not virus but if the issue is resolved then good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers