Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM

122 posts, read 380,060 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move back to Columbus but I need some opinions. I now live in the DC area and i want to make sure before I leave Its a good decision. If you've live in the Dc area and Columbus, give some opinions on what to expect. Please, and thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,257,949 times
It depends on what your deciding factors are? Why are you considering a relocation back to Columbus?
If you've already lived in Columbus, I would imagine that you're already quite familar with the area?
I recently moved to Columbus myself. I found a progressive city that offers a hip vibe and many
opportunities.
Columbus doesn't offer many of the same big city amenities like you would find in Cleveland ( Pro sports teams, outstanding museums and so on ) ... however, there are many solid attributes present in a city this size.
Columbus "doesn't" come across as a rust belt city ... in fact it's quite the opposite. Columbus feels and looks ( in many ways ) like a sunbelt city ... without the excessive and choking growth though.
I've visited DC on several occasions ... and apart from seeing the sights and attractions, I'd personally never choose to live there.
If you can be more open with your "deciding factors" regarding this possible relocation, I feel that you may acquire more in depth advice.
Best of luck to you!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 AM

205 posts, read 654,521 times
Does the "D" stand for Cleveland?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM

29 posts, read 104,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Does the "D" stand for Cleveland?
Haha, yeah what's up with him? He has to work for the city of Cleveland.

Well I have lived in Columbus for going on 2 years for school, not all that impressed but then again its not bad either. I like a more urban core type feel and Columbus is lacking this. Now I only lived in DC for one summer during an internship and loved it. Then again I was 22 and hung out in Adams Morgan and the bars most of the time. It's much more expensive in DC compared to Columbus, but much more to do.

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. If your starting a family, want low cost of living and good schools try Columbus burbs. If you like to go out and have fun, culture, history, stick with DC.

Also, if you set on Ohio, don't forget about Cincinnati or Cleveland. I'm from Cincinnati and love it so somewhat biased. There is so much going on right now development wise and housing is very affordable. Cleveland is a cool city too, I've never lived there so it's hard for me to say too much.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,238,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
I'm looking to move back to Columbus but I need some opinions. I now live in the DC area and i want to make sure before I leave Its a good decision. If you've live in the Dc area and Columbus, give some opinions on what to expect. Please, and thank you
I moved from Northern Virginia to Columbus back in the early 1990's. I spent substantial time back in DC after the move, and have extensive experience with both areas.

What would you like to know, do you have kids involved with this decision?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM

The city of Cleveland has residency laws for city employees, and I presently reside in Columbus ... so, I am not a city of Cleveland employee. ( LOL )
"One day though, I will be mayor of that fine city" ... I'm a Cleveland native, and I recognize the many superlatives that comprise this beautiful city.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM

29 posts, read 104,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
The city of Cleveland has residency laws for city employees, and I presently reside in Columbus ... so, I am not a city of Cleveland employee. ( LOL )
"One day though, I will be mayor of that fine city" ... I'm a Cleveland native, and I recognize the many superlatives that comprise this beautiful city.

Well I'd vote for you if I lived there. I like seeing people proud of their city.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 PM

To: Cincyfan79

I thank you, for your compliment!

I like Cincy too ... love the hilly terrain there!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 AM

122 posts, read 380,060 times
I do not have kids. I'm single, I don't like to got to clubs, I just work and go home, I'm 31. I left home for trade school in 96. I just miss home. One question, how's the job market there? That's a plus here, so many jobs. I work for a roofing company at the moment, but I hate it with a passion but to afford to stay here, I have to do it. Thanks for your opinions

Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,238,461 times
Job market in Columbus isn't nearly as robust as metro DC. Construction in Columbus is down quite a bit, due to the massive expansion in the metro area from 1994- 2006.

Quite a bit of remodeling though, so work may still be available in the area.

If it were me, I'd return to Columbus. It has a lot more "warmth" than metro DC. I often miss it, though I wasn't a native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus