Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that does not like these sites but, I DO and find them informative......She works and lives in NYC and needs to move due to the cost of living and her cosmetic company is down sizing. I told her about my trips to Pittsburgh, she was not impress with the men or the lack of fashion/hipness.

maybe someone here can give some input if either Columbus or Cleveland would be a good place to relocate and still be on the east/right coast.

Thanks to all xo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Cleveland definately emits more of an east coast vibe than Columbus. She may like the neighborhoods of Shaker Square, Coventry, Murray Hill/Little Italy/University Circle.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Now now, that is unfair, Columbus may be rural, but Cousin Pearl and Mr. Haney wear the latest in fashion.
http://www.garyswebs.com/herbeckfarms/Images/Green%20Acres%20MrHaney.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM

204 posts, read 813,465 times
I wouldn't consider either Cleveland or Columbus hip if I was moving from NYC.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM
bgo

33 posts, read 97,795 times
Moving from NYC to anywhere in Ohio would be culture shock, but Cleveland (east side) is definitely more East Coast-like than C-bus, if you had only the 2 cities to choose from.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
Ok I am going to disagree and this is coming from the younger professional mindest.

My friends and my experiences in the surrounding older cities are that Cleveland, Pittsburgh (especially Pittsburgh), and somewhat Cincinnati have much more older money.

However, Columbus has the most "hip/progressive" vibe. Meaning the progressive 21 yr old to 31 yr old scence. Columbus's central city and the Short North Arts' district are where you will find this alive and happening in your face. There are many local designers who design their own fashions and have set up shop here.

Much of this is due to the large amount of employees working in the fashion industry (becasue of the Limited and Abercrombie and Fitch.) Say what you want about the fashions of the stores based here as a whole (I am not a fan of Abercrombie) but those large corporations bring in the most talented designers from NYC/London/California.

I have many friends who work for the fashion companies here or started their own after leaving one and they have been happy with columbus they say it is : 1) more laid back than the larger city they are from 2) more hip than they expected and 3) more "chill."

There are also many younger professional types that frequently leave Cleveland or Pittsburgh because they tend to be more socially conservative and more "old school." Columbus is known for being more hip and modern liberal (not old school labor union liberal, ala Cleveland or Pittsburgh) in the midwest hands down.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Much of this is due to the large amount of employees working in the fashion industry (becasue of the Limited and Abercrombie and Fitch.) Say what you want about the fashions of the stores based here as a whole (I am not a fan of Abercrombie) but those large corporations bring in the most talented designers from NYC/London/California.

I have many friends who work for the fashion companies here or started their own after leaving one and they have been happy with columbus they say it is : 1) more laid back than the larger city they are from 2) more hip than they expected and 3) more "chill.".
Saying Columbus is fashionable because A&F and the Limited are here is like calling Oakbrook Illionois a culinary capital, because McDonalds is headquartered there.

Yes, in Columbus they think the Limited and A&F is high fashion. Or even fashion, for that matter. In most major cities you will see a main drag where people dress up, but unless the new fashion is Uggs, sweats or jeans and hoddies they are delusional.

But hey, I think they are considering allowing people to dance here soon.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
bgo

I'll take the old school money guy any day--definitely don't want to meet the guys who dress in A&F clothes with flip-flops, who describe themselves as "chill."

Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
Quote:
Yes, in Columbus they think the Limited and A&F is high fashion. Or even fashion, for that matter. In most major cities you will see a main drag where people dress up, but unless the new fashion is Uggs, sweats or jeans and hoddies they are delusional.

But hey, I think they are considering allowing people to dance here soon.
You 100 Percent missed the point.

This shows how little you know about Columbus' hip areas. I am not saying A&F and limited are high fashion or that the "hipsters" here wear that.

I am saying that we have many companies that bring in young professionals and artistic types. Find another midwestern metro in Ohio, Michigan, or PA with as many retail companies bringing in the creative classes?

The A&F creative class employees do not wear A&F they bring with them money, money, and more money and a fashionable sense and then often leave Abercrombie to open their own fashion boutique in the Short North or contribute in some other "hip" way.

This is how Columbus is chill. It is that we have many companies hiring those not in the financial sector, one of the largest student populations, and a very large gay population. Yes these aspects do create a chilled/hip city.

It is the difference of a Charlotte where many work at Bank of America or an employee of a fashion company with a degree in fashion. They might work at Abercrombie by day but their sense of creativity and residual income that is geared toward high end restaurants, clubs, and local boutiques is a welcome sight in any city.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:39 AM
bgo

The Limited has been laying off people for a while. Maybe that's why former employees are striking out on their own. I wish them luck, especially in an area that is not particularly fashion-forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus