Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM

20 posts, read 58,204 times

Advertisements

My husband really wants to go to a board gaming convention in Columbus in June. I don't see my kid and I spending many days playing board games so wondered what fun stuff there is to do in Columbus. looks like the zoo and science museum are nice, and we have memberships here in Boston so could go for reduced price. Are there good cheap places to eat (NOT chains)? Is it easy to get around? Worht making the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrywriter View Post
to eat (NOT chains)? Is it easy to get around? Worht making the trip?
Columbus is the food chain capital of the US.

If you have a car.

All depends where you are coming from. Akron, yeah prob. A major city, not really. Compared to Boston this place is going to be a big yawn. Do you really need to drive 8 hours to play board games? If I were to list the top 50 places to vacation from Boston, Columbus would not be on it.

If you can give me the age of your son I might be able to make some good suggestions.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 PM

27 posts, read 143,154 times
The Columbus Zoo is very nice. Also you should visit COSI, its right downtown. I would check out the Short North or German Village for neat places to eat. If your husbands convention is right downtown, check out www.shortnorth.org. There is the North market, its a older buliding that has little food vendors, fresh fruit & veggies, different wines and gifts and other mix bag of things. (very nice)

Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,127 times
There is lots to do in Columbus with children as shown above. I have went to the Origins Convention for several years and know of people that come from all over the US and even out of the country to attend so I do recommend it for your husband if he enjoys games. You and the kids might enjoy it for a short while but serious gamers go for the whole time.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrywriter View Post
Are there good cheap places to eat (NOT chains)? Is it easy to get around?
I'm telling you from experience last weekend that Columbus has some great places to eat. Just drive up and down High Street near Ohio State University, or for sure visit German Village. Your kids, and you will love Schmidts Sausage Haus. The all you can eat buffet was only $13.50 pp, and they did have a kids menu. Here's a link to a thread I wrote about my mini trip to Columbus.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...-you-have.html

Here's a link to Schmidts website:

Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant

Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,634,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Columbus is the food chain capital of the US.

If you have a car.

All depends where you are coming from. Akron, yeah prob. A major city, not really. Compared to Boston this place is going to be a big yawn. Do you really need to drive 8 hours to play board games? If I were to list the top 50 places to vacation from Boston, Columbus would not be on it.

If you can give me the age of your son I might be able to make some good suggestions.

Wow, you really helped the OP out! Not...

I read your posts, you obviously have a problem with Columbus. Where did you come from that you hate it so much?

Second off, you could at least list the things that there are in Columbus for them to get out and do, visit the different city districts that Columbus has to offer, the museums that are very nice, etc.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:17 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Wow, you really helped the OP out! Not...

I read your posts, you obviously have a problem with Columbus. Where did you come from that you hate it so much?

Second off, you could at least list the things that there are in Columbus for them to get out and do, visit the different city districts that Columbus has to offer, the museums that are very nice, etc.
and your hostile posting is more helpful?

OK,
You can watch the corn grow
you can go to the bluebird diner for lunch
go to Flyods for a haircut
go drinking with Otis
see goober for a game of checkers at the gas station
and I hear Aunt bea has good pies

Personally, I'd head up to Mount Pilot, that's a happening city.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 PM
bgo

33 posts, read 97,810 times
No, you cannot get around Columbus very well without a car. And, yes, you will be extremely disappointed with Columbus if you are used to offerings of the East Coast. However, if you have a car, do not miss the fried bologna sandwiches up in Waldo, OH. A Columbus classic! And the Field of Corn (is it art?) is also a must-see. I wouldn't go to Columbus to play board games, either, but if you must, stick around the downtown-ish areas. Not much to see elsewhere except tan houses with stucco.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM

73 posts, read 306,507 times
Columbus would be good to visit if you just want to go somewhere, get out of boston and see another part of America. You will not see or do anything there that can't be done in beantown.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:01 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
This post has some of the most unhelpful responses that I have ever seen. Columbus has a ton for a family, couple, singles, kids, whatever.

I have posted a complete post on all of the options. I will copy it below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus