Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times

Advertisements

I'm from Cleveland and its real ghetto there.I was wondering if Columbus is as ghetto?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM

135 posts, read 598,978 times
No, I have been to Cleveland a few times, but IMO Columbus is nicer overall. Of course, there are pockets of bad areas in Columbus just as in any city.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:33 PM

9 posts, read 101,629 times
In my opinion, Columbus is much better than Cleveland, although it's not as large as Cleveland. The North side of Columbus is a little better and much less ghetto than the east side. There are some really nice apartments and houses up north. Like an apartment called Remington Station which is located in Westerville,Ohio(A subburb of Columbus). Very, Very Nice Apartments. Columbus is more of a family oriented town.

goins1119

Old 03-04-2007, 03:07 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,137 times
there are ghettos in Columbus (check out our high crime rates), but for the most part Columbus is very nice, very new. New shopping areas, new construction. Of course, that also makes the city feel a little cookie-cutter and boring to me.

Cleveland's a lot older, which can be bad but I think it's better because of the history and the ethnic neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:24 PM

7 posts, read 51,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goins1119 View Post
In my opinion, Columbus is much better than Cleveland, although it's not as large as Cleveland. The North side of Columbus is a little better and much less ghetto than the east side. There are some really nice apartments and houses up north. Like an apartment called Remington Station which is located in Westerville,Ohio(A subburb of Columbus). Very, Very Nice Apartments. Columbus is more of a family oriented town.

goins1119
That apartment looks really, really nice but from what I can tell, they don't have one bedrooms available. Do you know if that's true and can you recommend any other nice apartments in good neighborhoods? My wife and I are going to check the city out in two weeks and plan on moving there as soon as April.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,249 times
Define ghetto.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 50,378 times
Default Not All Areas

I lived in Columbus for 24 years. It felt like a vacation compared to some larger cities. As with any city there will be areas that you won't feel as safe in. Some of the nicer areas are;
Grandview
Arlington
Worthington
Dublin
Grove City

It will all depend on how much you want to spend and how much commuting you'll have to do to get to work.

I once lived in Bexley and worked downtown. It wasn't bad about 15 mins by bus.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
Actually, Columbus city limits stretch for 222 square miles, so columbus is larger in size than Cleveland. Clevelands' metro is larger than Columbus' metro, sometimes I do not know if thats a good thing because it often means there are many urban areas which are being underused and the population has sprawled outward.

Back to the CMH though, In Columbus there are family oriented areas and Columbus has a huge and growing young professional population.

I would say the BIGGEST changes in Columbus, since I moved here in the 80s, is that the urban city has grown, genrified, and infilled a lot causing the city to really have a innercity population that is not as family oriented. This has created very interesting areas around downtown like the Short North, where art galleries shops and restuarants contintue. The best nightclubs and nightlife in Ohio is in Columbus too.

Columbus always has a new club or hotspot opening all over the central city.
Years ago Columbus was not known for night life.

To answer the question about ghetto in Columbus...
Columbus is an urban paradise compared to most midwestern and east coast cities. The innercity has seen great gentrification. Most people in Columbus take this for granit and I am sick of it. If someone complains about Columbus they haven't traveled to enough of the United States to see how Columbus has a wonderful mix of a modern american city and urban urban inner city.

In Columbus city limits the areas around downtown are the sections of the city seeing the highest increase in property and income values, generally.

In Columbus the city seems a little more ok with mixed incomes than some other cities. Some cities in the region and state will have a the poor displaced or an entire area of poverty.
In columbus people seem to look poverty in the face and if a wealthy person sees a house that is in a poor street they will buy it and say this is my city too.

Columbus has some almost completely poor neighborhoods, Franklinton, but mostly if there are poor people they are in a neighborhood that has a huge mansion or middle class house mixed in an apartment complex with someone who is an immigrant or has a less income.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,249 times
^What Columbus do you live in?

Columbus has plenty of "ghetto" areas especially the east side of town and the OSU off campus housing areas with absentee landlords. If you want to move somewhere that has limited ghetto areas try San Francisco, otherwise prettymuch every major US city has medium to large "ghetto" areas.

Also Columbus has a small urban core compared to most older and larger cities, much of Columbus is suburban in style and development. Only 40% of Columbus has sidewalks.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
The Columbus i Live does not define ghetto based upon one's skin color. That is Columbus. The entire east side is not ghetto, but it is more black.

Columbus' urban core is nearly the same size of all older cities, it's about 50 square miles, it's the kind of development thats makes that urban core up that actually defines the look and feel of the innercity.

Of course 40 percent doesn't have sidewalks, if 50sq miles is older city and the rest of the 222sq miles of Columbus is newly developed post world war two.

What if we asked, the Cleveland metro, post world war 2, how much is covered in sidewalks?
I am sure if you took 222 sqmiles of the metro and studied it you would find it is not all covered with sidewalks. And is there action being taken by those townships and suburbs to get sidewalks? Hm in Columbus, because the city can control so much of the metro, the city is taking out the largest bond in the cities history, with no tax increase, to pay for adding sidewalks everywhere they are needed now.

I cannot stand comparing apples to oranges. Do not throw a statistic out there if it is irrelevant. Columbus' urban city, those about 50 sq miles, how much is covered in sidewalks? nearly one hundred percent.

And my point is Columbus does have some poverty, but our's is usually mixed in with middle class or wealthy people, all living in the same neighborhood.

Columbus hasn't seen the "flee an area because poor people live there " quite the same as some other cities have seen.

There are many factors at play here, from more immigration after a new economy is formed, thus having less of a government sustained urban poor population which formed before the collapse of industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus