Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,857 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of moving to the Columbus area and are very interested in living in the historical district of UA (old homes) within walking distance to the Elementary and Middle Schools. By walking distance- 4 blocks or less (I read a study and from experience in our current neighborhood-kids don't walk more than 3 blocks) There seems to be very little on the market. Someone jokingly (I think) said to me that I should go door to door, do people do this? I can't believe the market is that competitive? Is this area really that desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 04:02 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suefromSF View Post
We are in the process of moving to the Columbus area and are very interested in living in the historical district of UA (old homes) within walking distance to the Elementary and Middle Schools. By walking distance- 4 blocks or less (I read a study and from experience in our current neighborhood-kids don't walk more than 3 blocks) There seems to be very little on the market. Someone jokingly (I think) said to me that I should go door to door, do people do this? I can't believe the market is that competitive? Is this area really that desirable?
I live in the Marble Cliff area, which is pretty close-by.

Unlike a lot of other Columbus suburbs Upper Arlington is basically built out. There will more vertical development on lane but besides that UA does not have a ton of undeveloped land to work with.

Very good school district, safe, upscale suburban area yet close to OSU and not far from downtown/Short North, large homes with a lot character.

Cons would be the lack of availability of housing, I'm sure the taxes people pay on those homes are really high and you aren't going to get a lot of land, the houses are fairly close together.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 AM

490 posts, read 863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suefromSF View Post
Yes, it's really that competitive. South of Lane (Old Arlington), has everything you'd want - historic homes, schools that are within walking distance for most students (Barrington Elementary and Jones Middle School), it's safe, has the most prestigious country club in the city (Scioto), and is only a 10 or 15 minute drive from downtown and OSU. Very old-money, not a lot of flash, but families that have lived there for a few generations and are quite well-off. You really need a good realtor who has the inside scoop on things.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM

135 posts, read 183,452 times
Yes, the market is that competitive. Houses are gone in hours after hitting the market, above asking price. And yes, the area is that desirable. It's really a wonderful neighborhood.

One thing I'd recommend, if you can swing it, is to rent at first. There are a surprising amount of apartments in UA, often quite inexpensive, near the schools. I used to live in a 1br a block away from Jones Middle School for less than my homeowning neighbors paid in property tax. There are quite a few 2br options, and I drive by a 3br currently for rent near Jones on my way to drop my daughter off at daycare. The best way to find houses for sale (or apartments, for that matter) in UA is to just walk around and notice the signs. This is pretty hard to do if you're not living in Columbus currently. Renting gets you into the area, pretty much exactly where you want to be, cheaply, so that you can find a long-term housing option more easily. Check it out.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 AM

420 posts, read 804,770 times
Housing in UA is very competitive. Any updated house will likely sell within 24 hours, often with multiple offers. Often times houses are sold by word-of-mouth before they are even listed. They will be listed and marked as sold as they are listed. Depending on your budget, you may wait years and not be able to buy a house with those parameters you listed.

All of UA is great. Its a tight-knit community and is a great place to live. In my neighborhood kids are always outside playing and people are very friendly.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:26 AM

490 posts, read 863,148 times
If Upper Arlington doesn't work out, consider the central part of Bexley (between Broad and Main). Great old homes, and you are within walking distance to Cassingham Elementary, Bexley Middle School and Bexley High School, all of which are next door to each other. Bexley actually has more in the way of commercial activity to walk to (restaurants, shops, movie theatre) and the schools are just as good as UA, but smaller. Close to downtown and not a bad ride to the airport and Easton. Only downside to Bexley is some of the neighborhoods that border it are a little rough, though not as bad as some make it out to be.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 AM

13 posts, read 13,633 times
Sue, I sent a PM with some info. Check that out.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 8,627 times
Default Homes South of Lane in Upper Arlington Ohio

It really depends what style a home you are looking for and your budget. The homes in the historic district which is South of Lane are very quaint but expensive. Its some of the most expensive real estate in Central Ohio. Unless the have been updated (which many have) they don't have the floorplans today's buyers are looking for. You will be able to buy a lot more home in the newer communities like Dublin, Powell, Lewis Center. It really depends on your budget and lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus