Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
Delaware County's going to be a parking lot before too long if they build that outlet mall.
Not the entire area, just over by the I-71 / Rt 36/37 junction. The area immediately north of Delaware, off US 23 should remain somewhat uncongested.

And not all of that proposed development is a done deal. There are still ongoing discussions about zoning and environmental impacts. If it does go in, it will help the tax base and local economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 PM

259 posts, read 428,201 times
Do you want an actual rural small town or would a suburb with a small-town feel?

If you want a small town/rural area,I would look at the following: Delaware, Olentangy school district, Galena in the Big Walnut school district, Plain City (I don't know what district that is). But all of those places are small towns or rural areas north of columbus, so it really depends what part of town your job is in if you want to get there in 30 minutes. Do you know where you will be working? There is going to be a major construction project on 270 north (at 23 and 315) which could slow down your commute for the next few years.

In Madison county, I don't think the London schools are very good and even though London is a small town, it doesn't have much charm at all. The Lake Choctaw area is nice, but the tradeoffs for the not great schools wouldn't be worth it to me. I don't know if West Jeff is in the London district or not, but you would want to look into it. To the east, Granville is a very cute town, but it would be tough to make it anywhere but the far east side of town in 30 minutes.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM

43 posts, read 71,730 times
I am hoping(fingers crossed) to be working at Columbia Gas, the only problem is that they have 4 different shops on each corner of the city, and I don't know which one I will be working out of IF I get the job. My wife is hoping to work at Limited or one of the other retailers at the corporate level.

It's funny that you mentioned Plain City and Galena. I was just reading about those towns. I will certainly check them out..have heard great things about the Big Walnut school district.

What do you all know about Galloway? Right on the Franklin/Madison county border and it seems like you get a lot more house for your money. (Please correct me if I am wrong about that.);

Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM

I also had someone recommend Johnstown? Your thoughts?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM12345 View Post
I also had someone recommend Johnstown? Your thoughts?
It's rural and on the depressed side, plus it's somewhat of a rough commute in the winter since it's not near the outer belt (270).

Where there's excellent hunting, there's not going to be good schools. Morrow County a little farther north up I-71 is a great example: wildlife everywhere and terrible schools because there's no jobs/no tax base.

I think you'll have to live somewhat close to your job and drive a little to hunt. It won't be too far. One hour will put you into some nice rural areas.

The ice in the winter can be absolutely horrible, so that's worth taking into consideration, too.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What do you all know about Galloway? Right on the Franklin/Madison county border and it seems like you get a lot more house for your money. (Please correct me if I am wrong about that.);
Yeah . . . and good selling it if you have to relocate. It's another depressed area, plus storms come in from the west and go right through it. But there's good fishing!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM

381 posts, read 642,323 times
Plain City is Jonathan Alder schools and is the top district in Madison County.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 AM

259 posts, read 428,201 times
Quote:
I am hoping(fingers crossed) to be working at Columbia Gas, the only problem is that they have 4 different shops on each corner of the city, and I don't know which one I will be working out of IF I get the job. My wife is hoping to work at Limited or one of the other retailers at the corporate level.

It's funny that you mentioned Plain City and Galena. I was just reading about those towns. I will certainly check them out..have heard great things about the Big Walnut school district.
Based on what you are saying about job locations, I would say somewhere a close-ish hop onto 270 would be a good bet for a decent commute. You are generally going to find better schools on the north end of town if you are looking outside 270, so Galena and Plain City still seem like good options. My sister's kids go to Big Walnut schools and she is pretty satisfied with them. They have occasional levy problems, but she hasn't said much about it lately so maybe it isn't a huge deal right now. Lewis Center doesn't have much of an actual town, but there are places around there that still feel pretty out in the country and the schools are very good in Olentangy.

I hope you are able to find jobs before you commit to a house. You have several good options here, but it would be nice to be able to focus on the area that would reduce your commute the most, especially given the north side construction that is just getting started.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 PM

So far I'm thinking Delaware, Galena, Sunbury, Powell, West Jefferson, Plain City, Patasksla. Maybe Granville but it does seem pricey.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It's rural and on the depressed side, plus it's somewhat of a rough commute in the winter since it's not near the outer belt (270).

Where there's excellent hunting, there's not going to be good schools. Morrow County a little farther north up I-71 is a great example: wildlife everywhere and terrible schools because there's no jobs/no tax base.

I think you'll have to live somewhat close to your job and drive a little to hunt. It won't be too far. One hour will put you into some nice rural areas.

The ice in the winter can be absolutely horrible, so that's worth taking into consideration, too.
I am a little confused about your post regarding Johnstown. I have heard its a small,quiet, nice little town. I'm not sure about the schools though. What makes you say that the area is depressed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus